Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Okay, now in lowercases, its...
Okay, now in lowercases, its...
2002-04-08, 11:56 AM #1
My mod idea!! Really trying to get the ball rolling on this one, so here goes:

Note to reader, I have HS level C++ skill, ONLY, they wouldn't let me take it at the College level because of my math score on the little dumb test they had. Apparently 620 on the SAT is not enough to be a CS minor. I cannot do this alone.

There are at the time of AotC, 7 different Lightsaber combat techniques. You know this if you have been following the spoilers a little bit, as T-bone had an article on it a little while ago.

Each form has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and each form was designed specifically to combat something either environmental or agressoral (word? I don't think so).

Here is a brief description of each form, as I understand them. T-bone only described the ones seen in AotC, so I have to elaborate and invent somewhat. When the team is assembled of course, this will all be hashed out, but for now it's only me. (How sad that I only have HS level C++ knowledge.

Form I: Closest I can come is Kyle Katarn in Jedi Knight. Simple and not showy, this form would be most effective in the hands of a novice, someone without the training to use some of the other forms. Would likely have a defense bonus and a force effectiveness bonus. I'll define all of this later.

Form II: Elegant and quick, this saber form is most like the present day and 18th century fencing styles, with quick harrasing attacks made at the perimeter of an opponent's guard meant to inflict hamstringing wounds and dismemberment rather than the one killing blow. Count Dooku wields this form in Episode II. Quick on the defense, but due to the concentration necessary should probably include a penalty to force effectiveness when attacks in progress. Percentage of blaster bolts reflected back should also suffer a penalty, so as to create parity with the forms.

Form III: Developed at a time where energy weapons like blasters were more and more often falling into the hands of enemies of the Jedi, this form evolved from training exercises meant to increase a Jedi's deflection of blaster bolts. A defensive form, it is the fastest form, but as a result, requires the most concentration of any of the forms. As a consequence, force effectiveness should be very low, but defense, speed, and the percentage of blaster bolts reflected back at the origin should be very high. Obi-Wan Kenobi studied this form after Qui-Gon Jinn's death.

Form IV: The most agressive form that the Jedi study, this form uses wide, fast, sweeping motions intent on picking up momentum and knocking your opponent off balance. Every parry is an attack in itself, and as this form is not for those who remain on the defensive, quickness is essential. Average at blocking blaster fire back at it's target, and slightly below average in the more agressive force use, this is a form for those who wish to end combat quickly and are confident they will make few mistakes.
Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader use this form.

Form V: Little is known about this form, therefore I will confer with those who join the team on it. May be a form that uses two lightsabers, may be a form that requires lots of throwing and spinning...who knows?

Form VI: Because VII is very straight forward and to the point, this should probably be the most elaborate form in the repetoir.

Form VII: A combination of modern day fencing and Kendo styles, this is the style Mace Windu uses. Should be the hardest to pull off, but when used by someone who knows what they are doing, should also be the most effective.

If my idea tickles your fancy, let me know. I don't need to be a major part of the Mod, but I would like at the least to have creative input and be a beta tester. I can also be organizer, I'm pretty good at that. But as I could not contribute much codewise initially, it doesn't make much sense for me to be end all be all boss.

If you're interested, email me!

sethyruxpin@aol.com

padawanrajess@cs.com

chexmaniac@hotmail.com (for some reason having trouble accessing, so use this as a last resort)

my AIM is alkalineruxpin. I don't have ICQ, and really haven't been all that impressed by it, so you ICQ snobs just email me.

Thanks!

Rajess
BLEAH

AIM:SethTAlbright
2002-04-08, 12:04 PM #2
Interesting... But most people won't like spending the time learning how to use these styles unless it's really really cool, and appeals to lots of people (eg. More than just saber fighting styles: new skins, gameplay modes, models, sounds ect.)
It's a cool idea, but I wonder how many people would agree...
2002-04-08, 12:08 PM #3
Oh yeah, I'm not just talking one little modification to the saber style here, I'm talking skins, models, the works. I think you might be right though. Not too many people are interested so far. I guess I'm not quite the idea guy I thought. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Seth
BLEAH

2002-04-08, 12:17 PM #4
It'd be a nice feature to put in another mod (say... bfp [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]) And it would always be optional if people wanted to use it or not.
Sorry if it seems like I'm bashing your idea. It's only my opinion so you don't have to listen if you don't want to. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

[This message has been edited by Raptor386 (edited April 08, 2002).]
2002-04-09, 3:13 AM #5
Nope, don't take it like that at all. What we have going here is the exchange of ideas towards a greater goal!

Keep it coming!

Seth
BLEAH

2002-04-09, 4:01 AM #6
what about creating a menu system that lets the user define an own saber style...he could then choose from different forward slashes, strafes etc. Might need a point system, too, or everybody will go for the strongest slashes only...

------------------
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides cherokee)
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2002-04-09, 5:39 AM #7
Okay! Here goes, revision of mission statement:

The game setting is like Duel, only with a little spin. Depending on the style you use, you may fight more than one person at a time (the other people automatically cause no damage to each other, and are considered to be on the same team for force power purposes).

Everyone starts out with saber level 1. This is the JK style (this is important, NOT JO style. JO style shows Kyle's progression in his style over 13 years (5 after JK to MotS, and 8 more to JO) and would be completely inappropriate for the first style).

Kills give you points.

Points can be used towards Advanced Dueling styles.

Now, other considerations to make:

1)Is this like an RPG, and if so, would it not be annoying to leave the server and lose ALL of your point information?

REMEDY:

Some file within JO keeps track of your points. I know, I know, after a certain period of time, everyone would have an ungodly amount of points, and would basically be able to choose whatever style they wanted, or everyone would have the same style and it would be very difficult to break in to. Well, okay. One way to fix this would be to insert something in JO like was in JK, where you can set up individual characters and you select them before you enter the game. The opening menu I mean, not the MP character selection screen. I don’t know about you guys, but I found that to be very helpful. This could also help us alleviate a major gripe I have with JO, which is that if you go from a FF server to a NF server and then back to a FF server, you have to completely reset your force powers half the time, and even when you don’t, they still require tweaking. But these things will come later. Right now, the purpose of those different characters. The points added up, kept, used for some ranking thing or whatever (we keep a database of who beats who, and how often, the works) BUT, the saber style you choose for that character is PERMANENT. You make a choice in the higher tiers of forms and it stays. No ifs, ands or buts. You want a new style? Make a new character. Another remedy could be where you get up to a certain point total and the file starts subtracting points, simulating your character aging. Not only this, but to make it easier for n00bs to break in, we have it made so either:

a)More points are given for killing people with higher tier saber styles than you.

b)People on same level tiers fight each other, and the only time intermingling occurs is within melee servers and special instances (i.e. two middle tiers fighting one high tier)

Now, the only real ways I see this working within a Duel setting are:

1)Someone mentioned a ladder idea, where there are several dueling arenas within one level. This could work.

2)A server network. Dedicated servers feeding statistics to a larger server. People can jump into any server and begin fighting like they had never gone offline.

OTHER MISCELLANEA:

SERVER TYPES

Light v. Dark Melee Servers: No damage done to members of the same force side. At the same time, no cheesy blue or red skins (unless you 1337’s pick them, of course). At the same time is not Duel. Everyone on the server fights and respawns as in FFA.

Realistic Melee Servers: Probably the server choice you Dark Side haters will choose the most. Light Side, as usual, cannot fight Light Side. Dark Side, however, can fight Dark Side like there is no tomorrow. Respawn as normal.

Realistic Duel Servers: This would be the only server type for Duel. Only people of opposite sides or Dark Side users can be put into rotation to fight each other. Other considerations as well, of course.

FORCE POWER STUFF

Okay, I dunno about you, but I think some of the force powers here are broken. I don’t whine when it happens, but I find myself an all to often victim of the drain- grip-walk-around-your-*** -so-you-can’t-push-me combo.

Maybe:

Only allow Speed, jump, push, pull, healing, and electricity. Electricity could be used in a weakened combined form with drain to heal a little (yet take none of your opponent’s force power) and heal would obviously be more effective at healing.

Alright, my head and hands hurt. RSVP please with comments! This is again, only a ROUGH overview. If people want to be on da team, we would of course talk about all this in depth at a later date.

CONTACT INFO:

emails:
chexmaniac@hotmail.com
sethyruxpin@aol.com
padawanrajess@cs.com

AIM: alkalineruxpin
BLEAH

2002-04-09, 12:19 PM #8
Nice idea! But if your gonna have the character files kept on the client computer, then your gonna have to make a basic encryption for the files to prevent hacking character files. This may or may not be possible, but since the code is written in c++, it shouldn't be too hard. (I've done encryption in the past... just not for game engines) Your idea needs a lot of work and especially balancing to make it fair for light, dark, old, and younger characers.

I might not officially join your team (I have a problem with commitment [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]) But if you need any help, just contact me. AIM: Rap386

[This message has been edited by Raptor386 (edited April 09, 2002).]
2002-04-09, 10:55 PM #9
it's a great idea...BUT. You will need a lot of new animations. I know several mod projects that died because no one was able to create decent ones...there's also a lot of new codework needed, but that's no problem. The animations though...

------------------
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides cherokee)
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2002-04-10, 3:04 AM #10
Okay, the Mod Idea underwent a MAJOR overhaul last night, well...not necessarily major, but I got a WHOLE lot of stuff straight in my head. I'm tired of retyping and reposting all the time, so what I might do is just get a dumb easy free website. It'll be ugly, but it ain't supposed to be pretty.

IM me if you want more info. And thank you all for the continuing interest!

AIM:alkalineruxpin

Set Al Ta'kwas
BLEAH

↑ Up to the top!