Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → JKL -> JO plugin......
JKL -> JO plugin......
2002-04-22, 6:46 PM #1
I just want to mess around with it, so I converted everyone's favorite level, Bespin, and converted all the JK textures to JPEG.

Well, I point the texture directory under project settings to the base\textures\m4 dir, but it says every single texture fails to load. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
-Hell Raiser
Doing stuff one thing at a time
-Hell Raiser
2002-04-22, 10:51 PM #2
i am just guessing here mate but are your file extensions "jpeg" or "jpg". it might be worth trying to change them to "jpg" because that seems to be the way raven have them as.
2002-04-23, 1:43 AM #3
Hmm... You shoulden´t need to change anything - I diden´t need to.

The brush surface will get texture "[LevelName]/[MatName]" applied to them.

Textures will be saved to:
[InstallDir as seen in registry]\GameData\Base\Textures\[LevelName]

Radiant should be able to find the textures automatically.

EDIT: Spelling...

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca

[This message has been edited by dr0id (edited April 23, 2002).]
dr0id
2002-04-23, 2:58 AM #4
It converts textures too? That's pretty wicked....

------------------
"Vader's Journey? If I had a hammer and the time, I'd destroy every copy in existence."
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2002-04-23, 4:01 AM #5
When I used it, it ended up converting the textures, but the problem is that they were apparently turned into a solid black.

------------------
Cease, and Decease.
2002-04-23, 4:28 AM #6
moneyobie, sounds strange... Do they appear black if you look at them in a paint program (or a web browser).

Try to change the output format in the JKLimport.ini to TGA and se if that works better:
JKLImport.ini:
OutputFormat=TGA

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca
dr0id
2002-04-23, 4:51 AM #7
first, droid, thanks for making this thing!
second, I'm also having a texture prob. I opened the jkl fine and then converted the mats from the gob. I tried the jpg and then the tga but when I open the level the textures aren't there. All there is for a texture is that one black and blue checker. As far as I can tell I installed everything in the right places and the textures are in gamedat\base\textures\mapname. What else need I do?
thanks
"Mmmmm, forbidden doughnut."

2002-04-23, 5:04 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All there is for a texture is that one black and blue checker</font>
Means that JK2Radiant/JK2 can´t find the converted textures.

Did you convert the texures yourself (with "Batch Convert Texture) or did the "Import level" command convert them for you?

I´all try to write up a little tutorial tonight. Hopefully that will answer your questions.

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca

dr0id
2002-04-23, 5:30 AM #9
I imported the level and then I used your batch converter for the textures. I found out I needed to "load" them, but that only loads the custom mats not the LEC one's that are also in the level. So the custom mats are jpg and show up on the texture list but nothing in the picture preview is textured. does this explain it more? a tutorial would be great

2002-04-23, 6:42 AM #10
Oops, bug alert - the INI file should be in the same directory as JK2Radiant.exe and not in the plugins subdir (where the DLL is located). Move it - this should solve all kinds of problem... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

However, you still need to point the ResourceGOBs INI setting to the JK resource GOB (res1.gob). If you do this the "Import Level" command will be able to find and convert the LEC textures (remember; do not distribute these).

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca
dr0id
2002-04-23, 6:52 AM #11
; Specifies how much should the JO map should be scaled.
; Requires a restart of JORadiant to take effect.
Scale=256

; Specifies the depth of the generated brushes.
; Requires a restart of JORadiant to take effect.
BrushDepth=4

; Resource Containers (GOB/GOO) containing textures. Comma seperated.
; If a level is loaded from a GOB then that GOB will automatically
; be added to this list for _that_ loading operation.
ResourceGobs=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Res1hi.gob

; Output texture format, jpg or tga.
OutputTexFormat=jpg

; JK Palette (.CMP) used to convert textures.
; Path and palette filename, "ie: C:\dflt.cmp"
; or
; palette file in a GOB, ie: "C:\JediKnight\Resource\res2.gob>>misc\cmp\dflt.cmp"
JKPalette=

; Non-visible surfaces will get this texture applied to it.
NonVisTex=common/caulk

; Batch Convert Textures settings
ConvTexDir=
ConvTexGob=
ConvTexOutputDir=

----

That look good to you, droid?
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails."

-1 Corinthians 13:4-8.

"Neither the sword of popes...nor the image of death will halt the march of truth."
-Francis David, 1579, written on the wall of his prison cell.
2002-04-23, 9:02 AM #12
Oh sorry, I lied in my last post; it should be "Res2.gob" so change the ResourceGobs setting to:

ResourceGobs=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Res2.gob

You can/should also specify a palette, depending on what level you convert you will need to change this, something like:

JKPalette=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Res2.gob>>misc\cmp\17sarris.cmp

...will work for Canyon Oasis(m10.jkl) for example.

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca
dr0id
2002-04-23, 9:17 AM #13
So how will I know what pallete to choose from?
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails."

"Neither the sword of popes...nor the image of death will halt the march of truth."
2002-04-23, 9:22 AM #14
Guess, if the textures turn up pink you guessed wrong [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

You can open the JKL in Notepad and search for ".cmp".

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca

dr0id
2002-04-23, 9:46 AM #15
I've found that I get better results by using BoBo Fett's Mat16 to batch convert all the textures into one directory.

Not that there's anything wrong with the JKimport plugin, it's just that I've never done any JK1 editing so I'm not very familiar with what palettes to use. Mat16 will determine what palette to use automaticly.
Also, If you do it this way you can convert all the textures into one directory. So, if you plan on converting more than one level you won't get multiple directories with duplicate textures.
2002-04-23, 9:51 AM #16
That sounds nice!
I´am not familiar with a way to automatically determine what palette a specific material uses, that is why you need to tell JKLImport what palette to use.

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca
dr0id
2002-04-23, 12:20 PM #17
Gah, I've tried everything in this thread and then some. I still get the same error, ex: "Loading m4/00tabll2...failed. Trying Shader... failed. Using default. !! !! !!"

I goto Textures->Load and select the dir, and I get the same errors. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
-Hell Raiser
2002-04-24, 1:48 PM #18
I have the same problem as Hell Raiser and I think I've done everything in this thread. If I batch conver the textures into jpg and look at them in internet explorer or something they look correct. but when I try to load them in JK2Radiant they fail.
2002-04-24, 2:08 PM #19
Ok, I got the textures to load by putting them in a directory in the texture directory. for example "c:\program files\lucasarts\star wars jk II jedi outcast\gamedata\base\textures\c3\" then I picked c3 from the list of texture sets in the texture drop down menu in JK2Radiant. Then I imported the JKL and it used the texture I had already loaded.
2002-04-25, 1:38 AM #20
yeah, that's how I had to do it; manually copy and paste the jpg files into the maps texture folder. That kinda sucks if you have a lot of em to find and copy over. any way to adress this in next beta driod?

2002-04-25, 2:39 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">manually copy and paste the jpg files into the maps texture folder</font>
Hmm... JKLimport (meaning the "Import Level" command and not the "Batch Convert Textures" command) should to this automatically.

I can think about two situations where JKLimport failes to do this; (A) you have moved your JO installation directory (JKLimport checks the registry for the dir) or (B) you haven´t filled out the ReosurceGOBs setting in jklimport.ini (se earlier post in this thread). Does JKLimport print anyhting into the Radiant log? (you may have to scroll a little)

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca

[This message has been edited by dr0id (edited April 25, 2002).]
dr0id
2002-04-25, 5:48 AM #22
um, lets see... ok I made sure the jkl.ini file had the resourcegob setting as specified(ResourceGobs=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Res2.gob). I did not change the install directories or anything. Then I re- "level import"ed it. It said:
JKL Import: Texture '00fwater.mat' not found (did this for all the textures), then...
Loading mpjericho/00fwater...failed. Trying Shader... failed. Using default. !! !! !! (this again for every texure)
JKL Import: MPjericho.jkl imported succesfully
JKL Import: 573 sectors converted to 2535 brushes, 0 textures converted

does this help explain it? I'm guessing TF_K and maybe others are having a similar prob. It puts the custom mats in the texture folder ok, but neither they nor the lec (<--not gonna release) textures show up on jk2r.
Also, one Q... the level import only does .jkl's and not .gob's, is it supposed to be like that?
thanks, and don't kill yourself on this man. I'm surprised how you people devote this much time to school/work and this as well.

[This message has been edited by kwigibo (edited April 25, 2002).]

2002-04-25, 6:44 AM #23
Hmm... Check what INI file popup if you execute "JKLImport|Configure", the expected one? Test: manually add something to the INI file and then execute that command; is it the correct one that popup?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm surprised how you people devote this much time to school/work and this as well.</font>
Well, the way _I_ se it; every single line of code I write for my private projects will benefit my professional career (I get the chance to write stuff I woulden´t have time to write at work, etc, etc). So in a way it helps paying the bills. When I think about it; I probably woulden´t been working as a programmer if I haden´t been editing/writing stuff for JK1.

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca
dr0id
2002-04-25, 10:53 AM #24
What computer language did you write the JO plugin in, driod?

2002-04-25, 11:29 AM #25
Borland Delphi

------------------
dr0id
droid.codealliance.ca
dr0id
2002-04-25, 1:57 PM #26
I guess it's the ini I'd expect. it has the paths talked about in this thread. not exactly sure which command to enter and execute

2002-04-25, 3:11 PM #27
Coming back in response to dr0id's question. Pardon me if the question was addressed in between the spaces that I haven't read.

Yes, the textures do appear black in other forms of viewing.

Tried the fix you suggested but no luck.

------------------
Cease, and Decease.

[This message has been edited by moneyobie (edited April 25, 2002).]

↑ Up to the top!