Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → new design
new design
2003-12-11, 8:12 AM #1
Suggestions? The site isn't optimized yet, but I wanted to get opinions.

http://www.oscempire.net/idea

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 8:22 AM #2
I like it! The only thing I would change is the grey gradient. I'd replace that with a texture of some kind...

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-12-11, 8:26 AM #3
Nice! Love the colors. The only little nitpicky thing I would suggest is to somehow keep the light grey shapes on the left from getting cut off if at all possible. Other than that, it's really good!

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-11, 8:31 AM #4
Your "Click of the Week" scares the crap outte me.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged
2003-12-11, 8:35 AM #5
Thanks for the positive feedback. Yeah, like I said it hasn't been optimized yet. In fact, I've been working it to be resolution independent, but I haven't even tested my efforts yet. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] What sort of texture would you use in the gradient? I assume you mean where the metallic parts are?

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 8:35 AM #6
The graphics are nice, very nice. I like how everything is so clean cut. What program did you make those graphics with?

I'm using Mozilla Firebird and everything looks great.

The one thing I would do is to add rollovers to your navigation. (maybe have the arrows to the left of the buttons change colours on mouseover and change back on mouseout).

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited December 11, 2003).]
2003-12-11, 8:38 AM #7
Well maybe not a texture. A bevel would work well too. It just seems too... flat imo.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-12-11, 8:50 AM #8
All the images were created in Photoshop 7. They're based heavily on another design that wasn't full page.

The navigation is going to be re-done. My flash artist is going to begin work as soon as his finals are completed next week.

Keep em coming guys, I need suggestions.

I'll try to give the chrome a more 3d appearance. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 9:20 AM #9
- the grey-white gradient just doesn't fit with the rest of the header bar

- the menu bar doesn't work at all, those strange blobs at the bottom and the lack of balance are the main issues.

- the bars at the top and bottom of the menu and content areas will only look right if the areas they border use the same width

- a darker background would be good

- you need padding on those content boxes

- the text/link colours don't look right

- you want to be careful with your colour usage, IE has a bug with the rendering of colours in images.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-11, 9:22 AM #10
Please take det's advice about the padding in the content boxes!
2003-12-11, 10:28 AM #11
thanks, I'll implement alot of that. I knew the links didn't look good. And the wierd blobs were just put in so that there wouldn't look like there was so much dead space on the left side. By padding the content boxes, do you mean just so that they don't rest so high on the page or what? Hopefully the new navigation will satiate alot of the balance issues.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 10:42 AM #12
No, I think he means that the tables in which your news and other stuff reside need a cellpadding attribute. I'd say probably around 3-5 would work.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-11, 11:13 AM #13
ok... I'll see what does it. I usually leave cell padding to 0 because I do so much with tables and cells right next to each other that I need a 0 line between them. I don't remember if that's why there isn't a pad there or not.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 12:23 PM #14
anybody have any ideas as to why it's doing the stuff it's doing right now with the top of the content boxes?

And cellpadding is a no. The images have to come to the very edge of the table.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 2:08 PM #15
You can nest interior tables, or put the content in a div inside your table, and define the div to have padding.
2003-12-11, 6:28 PM #16
bNews doesn't like to write to the Div properly. I tried using layers and it just went to hell.

I can try padding a nested table, but I didn't know if it would be troublesome what with Opera and Mozilla not liking to render tables that overlap sometimes. Egh. I know that all too well.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-12, 1:13 PM #17
only bump. Any more suggestions? I've implemented alot of new stuff.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!