Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Expert guitarists: I need help
Expert guitarists: I need help
2004-03-22, 9:44 AM #1
I can't seem to figure out a certain guitar trick. It has something to do with intentionally mismatching the frequencies of the notes so they do this wierd thing under distortion.

Click here. The filenames start with "technique."

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."
- Proverbs 27:17

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-22, 10:04 AM #2
Sounds to me like someone's using an e-bow with delay/reverb, not any real technique thing.

------------------
please *
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-03-22, 10:08 AM #3
I have an e-bow. That effect is definitely not e-bowish, because it requires at least 2 notes, simultaneously. I can almost do it using harmonics. [edit: maybe it's harmonics and e-bow. If so, it's going to be hard to do do the bend. :-/ ]

I already created put effect from the song onto my guitar processor. It's used in a few other ways.

------------------

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited March 22, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-22, 11:59 AM #4
I figured out the first one. It's an open A string with an e-bow a G (F# bent to G). It fades in with a volume pedal, then bends down to an F#.

The second one seems nearly impossible. It requires an open G string, and a high D to bend down to a C#, then slide to an A. Since the high end is cut on the effect, the open G overpowers the higher note, unless played on one of the medium-sized strings. Any suggestions?

[I have to have this figured out by Sunday, because I'm playing the song.]

[edit: Turns out I don't actually need an e-bow for the first one. I can do it without one.]

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited March 22, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-24, 5:11 AM #5
hm. Well, i didn't listen to your sample, but a way to do the second one would be this:

prebend your c# (B string, fret 2) to a D, play it as a chord with the open G, and then slide down to A (b string, fret 10), the slide -should- put focus on the higher note. also, might be a stupid question, but have you experimented with your pickup configuration?

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-03-24, 7:26 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:
also, might be a stupid question, but have you experimented with your pickup configuration?</font>
Yes. A while back, I re-wired my first guitar so that the humbucker could be mixed with either of the other two pickups. I might do this with my other guitar, or get a 7-way switch for it. But as far as this trick goes, the pickup config doesn't seem to make a difference. I'll have to try what you suggested.

Hopefully, I can do it without an e-bow. I have to switch effect a number of times in this song, quite fluently. Adding an e-bow into it (while singing, no less) is going to make it too much for me, probably.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited March 24, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-24, 10:25 AM #7
I can't really help you there, DogsRool..But great choice in song.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."

↑ Up to the top!