Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Walmart: Inadvertently Fighting for the Greater Good of Music?
Walmart: Inadvertently Fighting for the Greater Good of Music?
2004-10-16, 10:37 AM #1
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041014-4313.html

I found this article quite interesting. If Walmart pulls out of the music industry, they'd suffer massive losses, causing an incentive to lower prices. Since I don't think they can (legally) sell Walmart CDs for lower prices than they sell everyone else CDs, it woudl lower the cost of CDs for consumers by almost half for many CDs.

I really liked the last line:

Quote:
Maybe they can get CD prices lowered across the board. If this happens and CD sales go up, then it'll be yet more proof that the folks who're responsible for the current state of the music industry are myopic fools who should be tarred and feathered, or forced to watch MTV for a few hours, or some other such horrible punishment.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-16, 10:50 AM #2
Heh. that last line is pure gold. I also never thought i'd say this, but Go Wal-Mart!
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-10-16, 12:58 PM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Noble Outlaw
I also never thought i'd say this, but Go Wal-Mart!

You're obviously not in a U.S. university.

I'd be glad to see the RIAA knocked down a few notches when it comes to pricing, even if I don't buy music from Wal-Mart (due to their censoring). Would (hopefully) force/allow Best Buy to reduce its prices as well.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-16, 1:06 PM #4
Oh, I don't shop at Walmart either, but that's what people are hoping, for an 'across the board' lowering of prices.

I meant to make this a poll.. I don't know if I can now. But if not:

Would you buy more CDs (vs downloading music) if they were only US$10 a cd?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-16, 1:21 PM #5
Best Buy > *
>>untie shoes
2004-10-16, 1:26 PM #6
I don't understand what people have against Wal-Mart...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-16, 1:48 PM #7
I don't know if all Wal-Mart's censor their music, but the one where I live does, so everyone buys music at Target anyway.
2004-10-16, 1:52 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon

Me either they have low price electronics that work... me personally I just bought a new alarm clock there today. It rocks and it was cheap... win, win.
2004-10-16, 1:56 PM #9
Hire most of their employs for part-time, so they don't have to pay them as much, and monopolize small towns, knocking out "Ma and Pa's General Store" and forcing most people in the small town to get a job at Wal-Mart, where they still only pay them part-time.

But I like what their doing here, $10 CDs would be very nice.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-10-16, 1:57 PM #10
But uh.. best buy has... better electronics... at lower prices..
>>untie shoes
2004-10-16, 1:58 PM #11
If they start selling CDs for < $10 I'll start shopping there.
2004-10-16, 4:12 PM #12
Quote:

http://www.walmartwatch.com
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
http://www.1worldcommunication.org/Walmart.htm

I refuse to buy anything from Walmart and I worked there for +3 years. I've had many different jobs, in many different companies, and Walmart takes the cake for being the worst company that I have ever worked for. They make fast food jobs look attractive, literally. I despise Walmart with a passion, and although I don't like to use the word "hate", I absolutely hate this company, and hope that Americans start opening their eyes and boycott these bastards. Walmart is hell, and under that trucker hat, Sam Walton is sporting a pair of horns. Noticed how you can take the word Satan from Sam Walton.
2004-10-16, 7:04 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
Best Buy > *

Meh. Their selection sucks.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-10-17, 9:10 AM #14
I only buy from Wal-Mart if its something practical, like clocks and such. Anything electronic, its to Best Buy in the next town.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-10-17, 9:17 AM #15
I work in the Walmart Electronics Dept -- I can tell you that no matter what, good ol' home office will never drop us out of the Music industry.

Its just not feasable, we don't even carry that much new music as it is, and when we do its generally $14-$20 CAN. We obviously don't make as much on CDs as we do on Consoles/Stereos/TVs, but we still sell a large amount of them.

The price drop, I could see but unless hell freezes over, I cannot forsee Walmart dropping the music section in all of their stores.

↑ Up to the top!