Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help me make a good projectile launcher
Help me make a good projectile launcher
2004-12-19, 6:43 PM #1
This is for a project for physics. I have to design and build a projectile launcher that uses a golf ball to hit a 3 ft. diameter traget at a range of 18 to 36 ft. The target will be on the ground, and the golf ball must clear a 3 ft. high obstacle located 10 ft. down range.
Anyone have any tips, suggestions on how I should go about this?
2004-12-19, 6:45 PM #2
I suggest a manganel... not exactly sure how to spell it. It's basically a catapult that operates on tension of a coiled rope, or something... look it up...
/me gebs it.
2004-12-19, 6:47 PM #3
maybe something like a small-scale potato gun?
2004-12-19, 6:50 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
maybe something like a small-scale potato gun?

Yes, that's what EX-Massassian Correction suggested to me, but I'm not sure if it's "school acceptable". I'll google what you said Mikus.
2004-12-19, 6:51 PM #5
Some sort of catapult would probably work best. I would suggest a potato gun, but if you need it to hit a target then you have to be able to accurately predict the flight path, which is easier to do for a catapult.
Stuff
2004-12-19, 6:59 PM #6
Trebuchet all the way.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-12-19, 8:47 PM #7
I made a catapult once that could do that out of one of those hunting slingshots. It could shoot really really far, and I'm sure you could do some simple tests to figure out the stretch:distance fired ratio.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-12-19, 8:58 PM #8
I made a 3foot trebuchet once. It could throw a tennis ball around 50 feet.

o.0
2004-12-19, 9:24 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
Some sort of catapult would probably work best. I would suggest a potato gun, but if you need it to hit a target then you have to be able to accurately predict the flight path, which is easier to do for a catapult.

...My air cannon is damn accurate.
2004-12-19, 9:27 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud
EX-Massassian Correction
Wait, what?
He was banned?
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-12-19, 10:12 PM #11
Ballista/crossbow style?
2004-12-20, 12:15 AM #12
A small sized potato cannon would be difficult. I suggest a type of slingshot. Strips of a bycicle inner tube work well as the band, and a simply automotive fluid funnel works well as the ammo container. A pair of stakes, and you're set. Just practice your aim.
2004-12-20, 12:43 AM #13
Explosive (cannon) propulsion is overkill but most accurate.
Centrifugal (catapult,trebuchet) propulsion if released at right point can travel large distances. Accuracy depends on release point.

Your best bet is potential propulsion (slingshot). I say potential is because you're using potential energy of a device to launch a projectile. Fairly accurate and easy to build. The Work-Energy Theorem can provide you with a lot of information on these launchers.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-12-20, 1:22 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Slaw
Wait, what?
He was banned?

(Quick aside from the projectile launcher topic)

Actually, if I remember correctly, he left on his own terms because he didn't like the way certain people were being treated by certain admins. I think.

Anyway, it's a shame. I was really good friends with Roy for awhile, and was sad to see him gone when I sauntered on back towards Massassi. I used to talk with him over AIM, too, but I don't use AIM anymore...heck, I barely use the computer at all anymore.

Anyway, sorry. Just wanted to answer Slaw.
2004-12-20, 1:54 AM #15
Arm.
2004-12-20, 4:37 AM #16
We had to do something like that in physics. I wanted a trebuchet, but we ended up with this spring-loaded thing that was fired with a trigger. Pretty cool, actually. We spent a whole day firing ball bearings at a whiteboard eraser positioned in many varying spots all over the classroom. We ended up with it positioned behind chairs and desks and stuff requring bank shots. Good times.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-12-20, 10:45 AM #17
we had to make door sized trevoshayes for our physics class. that was a fun day. especially when we broke one of the legs of neighboring group's trecoshay. oops. :p
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-12-20, 11:16 AM #18
Trebuchets are superb, but possibly overpowered for what you want: you'd throw it too high to make it accurate.

Crossbow type tension device is what I'd use for a golf ball at that range with only a 3ft obstacle.
2004-12-20, 11:34 AM #19
How exactly does a trebuchet release the shot? And how do you aim one? The look pretty awesome and in every RTS they are in they can level a building in seconds.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2004-12-20, 11:37 AM #20
Could you use a modified bow and arrow? Bows are great for acuracy if you know how to use one. A bow and golfball...
If you didn't have a bow though the slingshot would be the next best thing in my mind.

Nuclear Golfball Attack Submarine....hmmm....
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2004-12-20, 11:42 AM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by UltimatePotato
How exactly does a trebuchet release the shot? And how do you aim one? The look pretty awesome and in every RTS they are in they can level a building in seconds.

It releases via an angled hook at the peak of the arms arc, and you aim it by trial and error, adding or subtracting weights. Not very scientific, but tres cool.
2004-12-20, 1:06 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Arm.

Quoted for Truth and Humor.
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-12-20, 1:12 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
Trebuchet all the way.

I'm building one in my crafts class, It's great fun, i'm starting to put it together! :D

The teacher isn't too pleased, but he'll be no longer bothering me soon as I attach the harness, he might not fit - it's a model.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2004-12-20, 1:17 PM #24
Magnetic Rail launcher
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-12-20, 1:48 PM #25
I'd suggest using compressed air. Make it like a large paintball gun. Possibly fired over the shoulder like a bazooka.
2004-12-20, 3:03 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyn
It releases via an angled hook at the peak of the arms arc, and you aim it by trial and error, adding or subtracting weights. Not very scientific, but tres cool.

The length of the sling also can be adjusted to affect the release point of what ever you're throwing.

They are awesome machines.
Pissed Off?
2004-12-20, 3:25 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by lateralus
Magnetic Rail launcher

I'm with him.
D E A T H
2004-12-20, 3:35 PM #28
I'm guessing a magnetic rail launcher might just beat a trebuchet. :(
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2004-12-20, 6:08 PM #29
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to go with whatever is easiest to make.
2004-12-20, 6:11 PM #30
http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/theory/electroguns.htm
Here's the theory... now build it. Before I do.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-12-20, 6:15 PM #31
"Good" and school freindly don't mix.

I can offer a range of suggestions.. and ways to make it.
What do you want to "power" this project?

Counter-Weight
Tension
Explosion
Pressure
2004-12-21, 8:13 PM #32
I believe Kyle09 has a few microwaves....
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-12-21, 8:31 PM #33
Last year for Engineer's Week we made a catapult that used a garage-door spring to toss eggs and hit a target about 75 feet away. It was quite accurate (though we missed the frying pan, but then so did everyone else) and consistent.

Basically, we used a wooden frame and two long screw rods. One was in front, and the spring was attached to that. The other was set to pivot at its base and acted as the arm. By having nuts we could move up and down the rods, we were able to adjust the power the spring delivered.

Let me dig up a couple of pictures...

Here:
[http://www.missouri.edu/~msc42/gaddypult3_640x480.jpg]
[http://www.missouri.edu/~msc42/gaddypult4_640x480.jpg]

Note: Those are my friends in the first picture, neither one is me.

This took us about two days to make. One day to design and shop for parts, one for construction. One more day to calibrate it, and we won $50 for it. Maybe you could use something similar. A golfball is somewhat similar to an egg in size, shape, and weight.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-12-22, 4:00 AM #34
Neat. How far did it launch? (and what was the weight on item?)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-12-22, 4:01 AM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric_Olie
Last year for Engineer's Week we made a catapult that used a garage-door spring to toss eggs and hit a target about 75 feet away

And they missed their fryaing pan sized target, but at 75 ft, that would have been impressive!
2004-12-22, 5:06 PM #36
Yeah, no frying pan hits for us. Though I forgot to mention, we did manage to hit the distance judge, who also happened to be the community advisor for our floor, in the leg. Much hilarity ensued. I have a video somewhere, but I don't have space to host it I'm afraid.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-12-22, 5:15 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
I believe Kyle09 has a few microwaves....

Hmm... a microwave powered golfball launcher... reminds me of the SG-1 episode where the alien builds a miniature stargate in Carter's basement... "By the way, you're going to need a new microwave."

I'm just trying to work out how to turn the radiant energy in the microwaves into translational energy of the golf ball. Works well enough for plasma, but...
Stuff
2004-12-22, 5:16 PM #38
Apparently everybody at Massassi are physic students or something...
2004-12-22, 7:10 PM #39
We had a cool project this year in physics where he gave us springs, and we found its spring constant, and then we had to build a ramp, and launch the spring into a box without doing any test firing, using only math to figure out how far to pull the spring back. It was awesome.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-12-22, 8:32 PM #40
Heh, BV, I did that very same thing in Gr. 12 physics last year. Although I had an incompetent lab partner, I managed to hit the little square of cardboard every time.

Oh, and next year (if you take engineering), you'll get to learn that the so-called spring constant ISN'T ACTUALLY CONSTANT!!! *GASP*

Well, it kind of is.
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!