Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need help picking computer parts
Need help picking computer parts
2004-12-25, 11:06 AM #1
So I got money for Christmas so that I can buy some new parts for my computer. I'm going to be getting a new processor, motherboard, RAM, and a new power supply. I'm currently looking at about $400 dollars max for all these parts. I've been looking at NewEgg.com and am wondering more specifically about what kind of motherboard I should get. I'll be getting an Athlon processor, but I'm not too up to date on the differences in the processors (ie. Barton, 64, etc...). So, I'd like to get an Asus motherboard, but I need recommendations on a good board and what kind of processor is recommended.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 11:17 AM #2
Currently, I'm looking at this motherboard, this processor, this RAM, and this power supply. Any suggestions, comments, flames? Well, maybe not flames...
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 11:25 AM #3
Get another hundred and you get
motherboard
processor
RAM

I'd suggest getting the mobo and processor, and saving up for new RAM, or something along those lines.

Good deals though.

Trust me, at this point, you don't want to 'upgrade' to 512MB.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 11:48 AM #4
When I currently have 256 megs of PC-133 RAM, I feel just fine in upgrading to 512 megs of DDR RAM. So I'm not going to spend an extra $100 just for some more RAM right now. I like the Mobo and processor suggestions though.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 11:53 AM #5
Fine, don't listen to me, not like I know anything about where the industry's going.

Trust me, by the middle of next year, you'll be outdated if you have 512MB of RAM. And a gig will last you a LONG time. I once again reccommend waiting on the RAM bit.

If nothing else, buy a solitary stick of 512MB PC3200 so you can upgrade to a gig later.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 12:02 PM #6
Theres this thing called a budget. I don't have more money. Saving an extra $100 when your a college student paying a couple thousand in tuition as well as paying rent/car payment/utilities/etc... every month isn't something easy to do. And the RAM I picked is a single stick, so buying some later on and upgrading will be an option.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 12:06 PM #7
I didn't say it'd be easy, I just said save. Hell for all I know it could take you 3 months to get that cash. Also--I'd suggest not going with ValueRAM--it's usually quite high latency. But if you can't afford better, then go ahead and get it.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 12:29 PM #8
I'm getting the motherboard you suggested. Its only 2 dollars more and it will be far more upgradable in the future. As far as the RAM *shrug* Its the same brand that you suggested, just half as much. I'm not too worried about the RAM anyway. More about the mobo and processor. The processor I picked out was just to get into the 64 bit range at a cheaper price. Later on I can upgrade to something better. Much later, like maybe when I graduate and have some real money. I do appreciate your suggestions.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 1:59 PM #9
You can't get your processor and my motherboard. The sockets aren't compatible. You either have to go with yours, or go with mine.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 2:05 PM #10
I went with yours. Noticed that too. ;) 30 bucks more, maybe I can make my parents love me a little more...
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 2:10 PM #11
Since we seem to be the only ones having this little discussion, what do you think of this video card Yoshi. $97 seemed pretty cheap for a 256 meg video card that supports Direct X 9 and OpenGL 1.5.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 2:21 PM #12
Yeah, but it performs like a 5500. :\

I'd say go the extra 40 and get the 9600XT, it's much much better, and very worth it.

BAREBONES wouldn't get it unless your desperate--these things, while always fully functioning (or returned promptly for your money back) don't come with any extraneous software or games. Lame-o to me.

What I would go for Trust me. The much better deal.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 3:03 PM #13
Never been much of a Radeon man myself, always like Geforce. Personal preference.

Looking around on NewEgg, I guess 256 meg cards with DirectX 9 and OpenGL 1.5 support are more common then I thought for that price.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 4:09 PM #14
For the generation you're shopping in, unless you wanna get crappy performance, go Radeon. The GFFX line sucks. Hard.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 6:47 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Leader
Never been much of a Radeon man myself, always like Geforce. Personal preference.

Looking around on NewEgg, I guess 256 meg cards with DirectX 9 and OpenGL 1.5 support are more common then I thought for that price.

If you must have a geforce, better get saving. Cause the Geforce 5x00 cards SUCK. You'll have to jump up to the 6x00 to get even decent performance. Radeons have the upper hand (by an unbelievable margin) when placed against their similar 5x00 competitiors. Trust me on this. Don't stick with one company, it'll hurt ya a lot. I've been on both sides, and I am far from being a fanboy for either. (My Geforce3 ti500 was an awesome card, still chugging on today's games, albiet not fast.)
2004-12-25, 6:58 PM #16
Why did you suggest he upgrade to 939 socket and precede to tell him to get a SINGLE stick of memory. That's one of the whole points of 939, the dual channel capability. At least it'll work out for what he's doing, just going with 512mb right now and then get another 512mb later on.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-12-25, 7:01 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by JudgeDredd
Why did you suggest he upgrade to 939 socket and precede to tell him to get a SINGLE stick of memory. That's one of the whole points of 939, the dual channel capability. At least it'll work out for what he's doing, just going with 512mb right now and then get another 512mb later on.

...Hello ignorance incarnate.

The main point of 939 is easy upgradability on the AMD platform. BTW, that's a VIA chipset--no dual channel for him, sir.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 7:36 PM #18
I'm no Geforce fanboy. I can be convinced to get a radeon if there are valid reasons. I've just been pleased with the geforce cards I've had in the past. However, if what you say is true about the 5x series, I might be convinced to go Radeon.
Life is beautiful.
2004-12-25, 7:38 PM #19
http://hardfind.com/reviews.asp?id=5 Uncle did this
http://hardfind.com/reviews.asp?id=4 Did this too

The 9600 beat the CRAP outta the 5600. Supposedly the equivalent card.

You decide.

Oh yeah, and it's over a year old. Forgot to mention that. You'll probably get that from the "Doom III Factor" bit.
D E A T H
2004-12-25, 8:06 PM #20
I have an Albatron GeForce FX5700 and I'm quite happy with it. I get ~40 fps in Doom 3, and ~50 in HL2. A Radeon 9800 Pro or XT, maybe even a 9600XT could beat it, but my card did cost $50 less than the 9600 at the time I bought it, and I thought that was important, as I was on a pretty strict budget and I couldn't wait to save up, as I would be leaving for school and wouldn't have a job at school.

Though note that it was a 5700, not a 5700LE. The LE from what I hear is a pretty cruddy version of the 5700.

I must say though, the OEM 9600XT Yoshi posted looks quite nice. Not for me (I'll upgrade mobo, processor, and vid card maybe this summer), I would suggest that to anyone on a budget.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-12-25, 10:00 PM #21
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1473206&highlight_key=y&keyword1=xt <-- bingo...$102 for a brand shiny new Radeon 9600 XT.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!