Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → QuickTime alternatives... PLEASE!!
QuickTime alternatives... PLEASE!!
2005-06-01, 3:04 PM #1
I hate QuickTime so much, I can't put it into words. It never plays videos consistently on my pc. It'll play one through, then not the next. Or the audio will get jittery in the middle of something. Is there some alternative plugin that's Firefox compatable?

*stabs Apple*
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-06-01, 3:05 PM #2
I still use IE because I'm too lazy to install that garbage.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-06-01, 3:06 PM #3
Does the same thing in IE.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-06-01, 3:29 PM #4
Look to the title of the thread. Google. Have fun.
D E A T H
2005-06-01, 4:12 PM #5
Yes, Google "QuickTime Alternative" and "RealPlayer Alternative". There may even be a "WMV Alternative" but I doubt it since the codecs are available seperate from the player.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-06-01, 4:20 PM #6
Am I the only one in the world that loves QuickTime?
2005-06-01, 4:26 PM #7
maybe.

I like it though.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-06-01, 4:29 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine

I'm quite fond of it. I prefer it over Windows Media Player, that's for sure . . . >_>
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-06-01, 4:38 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Daft_Vader
I'm quite fond of it. I prefer it over Windows Media Player, that's for sure . . . >_>

ditto
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-06-01, 4:51 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Daft_Vader

Minus the part where you can't fullscreen anything, the player itself has wonky controls, and the damn thing slows down way too much while playing videos...

I'd have to agree.

Winamp+VLC=WIN
D E A T H
2005-06-01, 4:57 PM #11
videos actually load faster when you are playing it. they load slow if its paused... but if you start playing it goes much faster.

and 'wonky' controls? pause/play... and the step buttons... those are great for getting the best frame in a short clip or something. frame by frame it to some cool picture and you can ALWAYS screencapture it. no need to turn of hardware acceleration in WMP.. which messes up my videos sometimes.
2005-06-01, 5:06 PM #12
For the plug-in, there's a neat plug-in called FoxyTunes for Firefox, it integrates any Player in Firefox. You can get it at the Firefox plug-in page.
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-06-01, 5:34 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Cazor
videos actually load faster when you are playing it. they load slow if its paused... but if you start playing it goes much faster.

and 'wonky' controls? pause/play... and the step buttons... those are great for getting the best frame in a short clip or something. frame by frame it to some cool picture and you can ALWAYS screencapture it. no need to turn of hardware acceleration in WMP.. which messes up my videos sometimes.

Pause, play, and whatnot are great. But where's my playlist, where's my streaming, and where's my fullscreening?
D E A T H
2005-06-01, 5:36 PM #14
Maybe people shouldn't buy crappy computers, and then quick time would work. Seriously, its a nice player, i like it, although the file size doesn't beat DIVX it still is good and coomon.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-06-01, 5:38 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01
Maybe people shouldn't buy crappy computers, and then quick time would work. Seriously, its a nice player, i like it, although the file size doesn't beat DIVX it still is good and coomon.

Maybe you shouldn't call a great computer crappy. My computer does everything I want it to fine, and it's quite a beast IMO. Not top of the line, but it's good enough to play a lot of the current-gen games at highest settings (except HL2...stupid Valve sexing up ATi...). But Quicktime still lags a bit on it.

Of course, it just sucks doesn't it :rolleyes:
D E A T H
2005-06-01, 6:09 PM #16
I actually agree with that kid for once. Quicktime is a fantastic program on any functioning machine. Even my old crappy computer ran quicktime pretty smoothly.

And I find quicktime to be increadably perfect for all of my videowatching. I don't need a playlist because I use winamp for that. I click on a file and a pretty window opens with a fantastically fast loading quicktime box. And it doesn't give me any extra crap that I don't care about. A simply pretty yet simple and usable visual display.

I will admit the actual player out of the browser sucks, but if anyone knows me, I prefer browser things over anything else. Heck, I'd probaby use a browser based winamp if I could.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-06-01, 6:13 PM #17
I still say VLC for the win. Minimalistic, open source, super friggen compatible, comes with the codecs, has an embedded player in firefox, playlist, does subtitles, etc.
D E A T H
2005-06-01, 6:19 PM #18
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

This thing can play ANYTHING I've thrown at it (you might need to get the codec pack at the site for that... not sure exactly what it plays natively without the pack).

2005-06-01, 6:19 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
I still say VLC for the win. Minimalistic, open source, super friggen compatible, comes with the codecs, has an embedded player in firefox, playlist, does subtitles, etc.

minimalist? HAH. mplayer is minimalist!

nothin better than mplayer for speed on slow-*** comps. Not to mention, it has incredible file error recovery.
2005-06-01, 6:25 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Cool Matty
minimalist? HAH. mplayer is minimalist!

nothin better than mplayer for speed on slow-*** comps. Not to mention, it has incredible file error recovery.

Yeah, but I don't like the mplayer interface :p

VLC works fine for me either way.
D E A T H
2005-06-01, 6:56 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi

plus, VLC can also play damaged files in some instances. I had a corrupted divx file that nothing else would play, and VLC was able to play it up to the place where it was the most corrupt. Still impressive, b/c that's more than what anything else could do.

VLC is the best video player that I've ever seen. Compared to it, Windows Media player is a bloated piece of s***. Seriously. Truly.
2005-06-01, 11:13 PM #22
I'm throwing in a vote for Media Player Classic. Yeah, it's error recovery sucks, and it isn't so good with .WMV files, but it's fast, and it's small, and it plays DVDs really well too (I like that). With QT Alternative, I haven't loaded Apple QT in about a year now, and I couldn't be happier. MPlayer is great too, but I don't want to get used to the interface.
*This post has been edited for content.
2005-06-01, 11:17 PM #23
The only thing I have to complain about MPC is that it somehow doesn't want to recognize ogg's, throwing up stupid errors and whatnot. Didn't do it before.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-06-02, 12:10 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine

No. I love it. I download Quicktime over other formats when possible, and if the difference in files size isn't excessive. Which for the still I download, usually isn't.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!