Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Jerec
Jerec
2005-09-03, 2:01 PM #1
In progress

[http://jkhub.massassi.net/project/screens/project-28-CJmlSwGUyG.jpg]
[http://jkhub.massassi.net/project/screens/project-28-aCQKKd87k6.jpg]
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2005-09-03, 2:04 PM #2
What a bitter old man.
2005-09-03, 2:04 PM #3
HOLY #@%$ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT IS AWESOME.

YOU WIN.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2005-09-03, 2:12 PM #4
there's something i dont like about the lips.. i dunno. looks like some of his features are kinda painted on. could look more natural. could be due to the lighting.
2005-09-03, 2:14 PM #5
Originally posted by Jerec:
You cannot defeat me...

:eek:
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-09-03, 2:20 PM #6
The little U shape at the top of the lips is too wide, and the edges are too sharp.
DO NOT WANT.
2005-09-03, 2:31 PM #7
I think he looks great. Needs a cape though, without it his costume just looks too ridiculous, especially those helipads on his shoulders :p

What those retarded lines are by his mouth, only LEC knows.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-09-03, 2:32 PM #8
The lips look odd from the front, but great from the side. By contrast, the forehead looks great from the front and bulbous from the side. Also remember that he doesn't actually have eye sockets. He's not a blind human.
2005-09-03, 2:33 PM #9
Those lines are some sort of tattoo. The thing around his head is an actual strapped on device, though, I think. So it should be modelled not just painted on.
2005-09-03, 3:23 PM #10
not *old* enough looking
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-09-03, 3:46 PM #11
I think Daft means...

Originally posted by Jerec:
You cannot defeat me... WRAA WRAA WRAA WRAA AUGH

2005-09-03, 3:58 PM #12
Originally posted by JM:
Those lines are some sort of tattoo. The thing around his head is an actual strapped on device, though, I think. So it should be modelled not just painted on.

It's a thin strap of leather to cover his eyeless sockets.

The tatoos are there to make him seem badass.

Read books / listen to radio show ftw
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-09-03, 4:57 PM #13
The strap should still be modeled though. You should see the shape of the eye socket and the strap stretched over it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-09-03, 6:31 PM #14
The eye strap doesn't need to be geometry, it wouldn't be modelled on current game models, and this is for JK :p
Attachment: 7082/jerec_head2.jpg (42,085 bytes)
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2005-09-03, 6:47 PM #15
still not *old* enough looking
Free Jin!
2005-09-03, 7:02 PM #16
I think there is such a thing as criticism for the sake of criticism. I *personally* can't find anything wrong with this skin and model so far, and I think it is one of Shred's best human creations so far. I think Jerec looks plenty old enough, what with the lines under his eyes, creased forehead, and wrinkled cheeks. I also agree with Shred that modeling the eye rag is major overkill, espeically considering that if you're close enough to see Jerec's face in that much detail, his saber will probably be coming out of the back of your head. :p
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-09-03, 7:06 PM #17
looks fantastic. But there is somthing wrong with that hair!
2005-09-03, 7:07 PM #18
I agree. Keep it as is.

[EDIT] that's referring to Daft's post
2005-09-03, 7:31 PM #19
Something's missing, I'm not sure what, but he just doesn't seem menacing (sp?) enough.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-09-03, 7:32 PM #20
I just can't believe you, Shred. Absolutely top-notch.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-09-03, 7:56 PM #21
Heh... Shred's WiP's always get sooo much nit-picks and critisism... even tho he has proven time and time again that he won't rest until the model is flawless. I don't just respect him for his ability to make good models... I respect him for his ability to produce 4 or 5 professional grade models within the span of just a month amidst an entire community of know-it-all nay-sayers (Yeah, I can say that ... because I am like that too at times)

Anyway, great work so far, Shred.... you don't need to explain yourself. Just let your models do the talking. ;)
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2005-09-03, 8:07 PM #22
Originally posted by halucid:
Heh... Shred's WiP's always get sooo much nit-picks and critisism... even tho he has proven time and time again that he won't rest until the model is flawless. I don't just respect him for his ability to make good models... I respect him for his ability to produce 4 or 5 professional grade models within the span of just a month amidst an entire community of know-it-all nay-sayers (Yeah, I can say that ... because I am like that too at times)

Anyway, great work so far, Shred.... you don't need to explain yourself. Just let your models do the talking. ;)

Can't agree more. Though in a way all nitpicks are valuable advices.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2005-09-03, 9:20 PM #23
its not the face that should be showing age, the haaaaair man, the haaaaaaaair
Free Jin!
2005-09-03, 10:26 PM #24
[http://jkhub.massassi.net/project/screens/project-28-0oN7xhPmbF.jpg]

Done.

The actor that played Jerec had brown hair...
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2005-09-03, 10:34 PM #25
Oh my....

OH MY...

*zonked* :eek:

Only thing wrong with that is that his neck is a little too thin, giving him the impression of having an enormous balloonhead. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2005-09-03, 10:53 PM #26
Looks great, I love the texturing. After looking at the full body shot, I think three things can still be improved: he needs to look older (hair less thick and possibly graying, face more weathered), his neck is slightly too thin as Zell mentioned, and most importantly his legs look a little underdeveloped. They could use more muscle on the quads and inner thighs. I'm assuming this is the same lower body geometry you're using for the other models, but on Jerec they don't look as good. (If I recall correctly I said the same thing about Kyle's legs, but I haven't seen the model since then, so you might have fixed it).
2005-09-03, 11:06 PM #27
Why does his eye level seem way too low / his head too tall?
2005-09-03, 11:11 PM #28
Originally posted by Emon:
Why does his eye level seem way too low / his head too tall?

Because there is no hair on his forehead...The eyes are perfectly right. Eyes are in the middle of your head, contrary to popular believe. Hair just makes it look like they are higher on your head.
2005-09-03, 11:16 PM #29
Shred, I don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything but...did you even look at a reference picture for this? Everything's way off.
[http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediknight/images/gallery/jerec_11.jpg]

His jaw isn't nearly broad enough and defined, his cheek bones are not defined, his nose is far too thin, the buldges above his eyebrows aren't defined, the tattoes are way off.

If you're aware of all this and planning to fix it, then disregaurd this post. Just seems that you're working on the face but leaving all those flaws in there.
2005-09-03, 11:32 PM #30
Make his lower face (chin/cheeks) more boxy and flat (see ref pic) and give him a bigger nose. Also, see if you can make him sneer more.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-09-04, 6:20 AM #31
Originally posted by SG-fan:
Make his lower face (chin/cheeks) more boxy and flat (see ref pic) and give him a bigger nose. Also, see if you can make him sneer more.

No, it's a rule that all new models must smile. Remember the rodian?
2005-09-04, 7:07 AM #32
That's good... I don't want to see a new and improved mailoc, though. Those stupid bastards still sneak up on me, and I'll hear just the sound of their wings, and try to find him. The next thing I know is that the **** head snuck up on me, and I lose 40 hp.
2005-09-04, 7:34 AM #33
I Don't like it:

- the tattoo looks like it's painted on, and is in the wrong place (according to reference shot)
- the hair just looks bad, doesn't look at all natural
- the clothes look lazily textured, way too blurry compared to your other skins.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-09-04, 8:54 AM #34
The hair needs a little work - it's not totally flat on his head (a little baggy in the back) and he has a bald spot forming behind where the front hairline begins. Adding this bald spot will make him look more aged.

The tatoo is not as much wrong as it is badly MSPainted... Okay, I know it's not actually painted on in MSPaint, but it really looks like that's how it was added.

As far as the clothes go, I'm neutral on that one -- I think they could probably go as they are... though give the chestplate thing a little more reflection; it'll look cooler imo and make it look like a chestplate and not like part of the clothing.

For all of the above, see my reference screenie. (sorry the hair shots aren't the best -- there really aren't many good shots that show the hair...)

Also, yes, the neck is too thin.

And someone mentioned a cape? I don't think he has one, at least not all the time. When Kyle defeats him, the end cutscene shows no cape.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-09-04, 9:47 AM #35
Here's an update
Attachment: 7090/jerec_textured2.jpg (30,819 bytes)
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2005-09-04, 10:06 AM #36
Looks great so far!

One thing you might want to rework in sthose symbols on his .... scarf?

Have a look at this picture as reference:
[http://www.triada.bg/games/megafeel/jediknight/jerec.jpg]
ESS Supreme Commander Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ
The Blue Phantom Project
2005-09-04, 10:17 AM #37
looking much better
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2005-09-04, 11:54 AM #38
Looking a lot better. That's Jerec all right. I still think a little more muscle wouldn't hurt though. The actor does look pretty powerful, but maybe it's just the cape (which I guess you're leaving out).

If I really wanted to nitpick I'd mention the symbols on the scarf and the v-opening in his collar. But I don't.
2005-09-04, 12:10 PM #39
Now make him look older
2005-09-04, 3:59 PM #40
Actually, if you watch the last cutscene (lightside) it doesn't look like Jerec is wearing a cape... even though in some others, like when he's exiting the shuttle on the landing platform, he appears to be wearing one.
So really, it could go either way, though I agree that Jerec would look a lot tougher and bad*** with a cape.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.

↑ Up to the top!