Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 297

Thread: Why are squirrls on islands?

  1. #1
    It's Stuart, Martha Stuart
    Posts
    7,855

    Why are squirrls on islands?

    How come you can go canoeing out into the wilderness and find islands with squirrels and other wild life on them. Both the islands and the lake have obviously been there for centuries. During the formation of such a small island any life on it would be killed. Evolution or ID, it boggles the mind. And what about the Ocean. The Galapagos? It would seem that it should be just barren rocks.

  2. #2
    The islands probably weren't islands at somepoint in the past, like durring ice ages when lots of water was frozen.

  3. #3
    long, long ago, squirrels were in fact a highly intelligent race. they sailed the seven seas and colonized far and wide, and then, reaching the pinnacle of squirreldom, turned their swords to ploughshares and settled down to a life of nut-coveting bliss.

  4. #4

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Grismath
    long, long ago, squirrels were in fact a highly intelligent race. they sailed the seven seas and colonized far and wide, and then, reaching the pinnacle of squirreldom, turned their swords to ploughshares and settled down to a life of nut-coveting bliss.
    That's not true. The Squirrel God said upon the mortal squirrels, "Thou have eaten the holy Nut from the Tree of Nut Wisdom. As punishment, thou all have lobotomies and forced to live in exile on islands."
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  5. #5
    It's Stuart, Martha Stuart
    Posts
    7,855
    This thread is turning out to be twice as awesome as I first expected it to be. But, I must go, my 7800GT, Opteron 165 and 7800GT anxiously wait to replace old components in my computer.

  6. #6
    SAJN_Master
    Posts
    11,157
    That's not true. The Squirrel God said upon the mortal squirrels, "Thou have eaten the holy Nut from the Tree of Nut Wisdom. As punishment, thou all have lobotomies and forced to live in exile on islands."
    You killed Grismaths awesome joke. Die.
    Think while it's still legal.

  7. #7
    No Longer Homeless!
    Fancy Pants

    Posts
    9,833
    If Noah's Ark happened like it said it did, all life would be on one continent.

  8. #8
    It's Stuart, Martha Stuart
    Posts
    7,855
    Yeah, but with evolution, you shouldn't ever find related creatures on different continents. It's baffling which ever way you look at it. Of course not know an explanation, doesn’t mean there isn't one.

  9. #9
    Imon, umon...everymon!
    Posts
    19,021
    Humans have been responsible for spreading a lot of animals throughout the world. Horses are a perfect example. Squirrels? Eh, maybe somewhat. More recently, that's for sure.

    And yes, islands are often broken off pieces of land...so yeah.
    Last edited by Emon; 12-31-2005 at 11:03 PM.
    Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

  10. #10
    Actually, evolution does account for it, but it's not quite as simple as the casual understanding of how evolution works.

    But there's always the possibility that they got there just by chance, getting caught in a strong current or whatever. It only has to happen once to populate an island with a new species.
    Detty. Professional Expert.
    Flickr Twitter

  11. #11
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,330
    What makes you think they can't swim?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Emon
    Humans have been responsible for spreading a lot of animals throughout the world. Horses are a perfect example. Squirrels? Eh, maybe somewhat. More recently, that's fur sure.

    And yes, islands are often broken off pieces of land...so yeah.
    Get it? Fur, squirrels, haha.
    It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.

  13. #13
    Evolution is overrated, with no true or real proof.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  14. #14

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Van Dort
    You killed Grismaths awesome joke. Die.
    If that counts as one murdered joke on my record, I'm afraid you have a genocide on yours.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  15. #15

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,121
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_GoldG_01
    Evolution is overrated, with no true or real proof.
    Did you even study anything about evolution?
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  16. #16
    I know enough about evolution to determine it isn't possible. I have a whole book on it.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  17. #17

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,121
    So you get all your information from one, single source. Good job. I have a good guess what this book is.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  18. #18
    The Bible?
    It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.

  19. #19
    Add that book plus whats taught in schools plus the Internet plus encyclopedias... and you might get an idea... you might want to look at this:

    http://www.megabaud.fi/~lampola/engl...evidences.html
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  20. #20
    The silence... I would have thought you people would have great arguments to counter FACTS that PROVE evolution is simply NOT POSSIBLE.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_GoldG_01
    The silence... I would have thought you people would have great arguments to counter FACTS that PROVE evolution is simply NOT POSSIBLE.
    Um...you might want to wait longer than 8 minutes next time? Give Mort-Hog a chance to notice your post and stomp on you. :p

  22. #22
    I think everyone is kinda tired of that, SF_Gold.

  23. #23
    I finnaly find SOLID POSITIVE evidence, and your excuse is that your tired?

    Well not tired, but I found it on the web... and didn't have to copy an entire encyclopedia.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  24. #24
    My excuse? Why would I argue with you. I'm a bible believing creationist. I just try not to argue about it.

  25. #25
    As am I, but I argue because I enjoy it.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  26. #26
    Better than Commander 599
    Posts
    1,613
    Are you being sarcastic...? Is this a joke...?

    Please tell me it's a joke...

  27. #27
    It's crystal-clear to him.T
    Posts
    2,648
    I love you guys.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander 598
    Are you being sarcastic...? Is this a joke...?

    Please tell me it's a joke...
    I never understand why you cut and say that same mindless post over and over and over....
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  29. #29
    New, Improved, and Boneless
    Posts
    6,607
    Pigs did not exist in the western hemisphere until Cortez brought them over.
    "If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
    --Garrison Keillor

  30. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez
    It's time to SPLIT!

  31. #31
    I will mention some other proofs that can be found on ANOTHER web page, other than the one I posted earlier:

    1 Human footprints found inside of dinosaur footprints
    2 Evolution has never been observed
    3 Evolution would cause all land animals to be like giraffes
    4 Growth rate of human societies
    5 Pre-human fossils
    6 Neanderthals didn't exist
    7 Cro-Magnon vs. Homo Sapiens brain capacity
    8 Fossils of extinct proto-humans
    9 Long "extinct" Agraptalyte fish found
    10 Transitional species missing from the fossil record
    11 Survival of previous species
    12 The genome cannot increase in complexity; microevolution vs. macroevolution
    13 Organic material cannot come from inorganic; thus evolution could not have started up.
    14 Second law of thermodynamics:
    15 Missing geological column
    16 Inter-species mating
    17 Missing proof
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  32. #32
    Better than Commander 599
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_GoldG_01
    I never understand why you cut and say that same mindless post over and over and over....
    Thats the first time I ever posted those words at the same time. EVER. Are you confusing me with someone else...? Seriously. I'm starting to think your playing a mind game...

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander 598
    Thats the first time I ever posted those words at the same time. EVER. Are you confusing me with someone else...? Seriously. I'm starting to think your playing a mind game...
    I've seen a post like that many times today... so I only assumed it was you.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  34. #34
    Better than Commander 599
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_GoldG_01
    I've seen a post like that many times today... so I only assumed it was you.
    Maybe there was a hidden message in them that you missed.

  35. #35
    Some of them were not directed toward me...

    EDIT: I think we should get on topic now, Obi_Kwiet deserves an explanation as to how they got there.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  36. #36
    RAGNA ANGARY
    Posts
    2,023
    ACK CREATIONISTS ARE SO DUMB!!!!!!!

    EDIT: will add more after new years' celebrations
    Last edited by ragna; 01-01-2006 at 12:25 AM.

  37. #37
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,330
    SF_GoldG_01, I don't even have to read your "facts" that "prove" evolution isn't possible to know you're full of it, and I'll tell you precisely why:

    Science is a process by which a hypothesis can be formulated based on observable phenomena, the hypothesis tested, and a theory formulated based on the evidence obtained from the experimentation.
    The scientific method doesn't canonize anything. Absolutely everything in human understanding - gravity, relativity, behaviorism, evolution - is a theory.

    The theory of evolution was assembled by assessing evidence, such as the fossil record or significant mutations in the same species across the Galapagos Islands. A hypothesis was formed that mutations add up over generations to become significant biological changes, because beneficial mutations are bred into the gene pool while detrimental ones are extinguished. The hypothesis was tested (and continues to be tested) using microbiology.
    In fact, it's due to our extensive research into evolution that we were able to predict the mutation of avian flu into a form that can infect humans. I guess real-world results are shot down by your Facts though.

    On the other hand, you have the Intelligent Design tripe: There are no observable phenomena. There is no hypothesis that can be tested. There are no experiments to be repeated and no experimental data provided. Yet there is a theory, and the inventors of that theory claim it as Fact? This isn't science, this is religion. Science never claims to provide any universal truths, but religion does - and so do you, SF_Gold_01. You have no credibility here. Please quit trying to explain away theories for which you have neither the interest nor the prerequisites to understand.

  38. #38
    Ragna: An opnion with out truth or facts should not be taught anywhere, but instead studied until it has both of these. The simple fact is you should not teach theories in school or any where when true scientific proof shows how impossible it is for such theory to occur. I'm sick and tired of the lies my biology teacher endlessly tries to shove down my throat, I believe this should be STOPPED.

    And now back to the topic:

    Well... I've heard of many situations where man brought creatures to remote places, and that would explain why you usually find them in remote places. For instace, I'm not entirely sure, but I remember hearing about some men who took 2 koalas to some island some 300 +/- years ago and now the forests there are almost totally destroyed. The island is litteraly infested with koalas. So the squirells could have gotten there by means of recked ships or title waves even. Time and unforseen occurences.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  39. #39
    In response to the thread's point:

    An island can start with a volcanoe. (or the island is just there, like in a lake.) Then the rocks eventually get churned up into sand and dirt. Then birds nest on it. Then seeds end up on the island. Before you know it, it's an island of plant life.

    As for the squirrels. They see acorns groing on the trees and decide they should swim over.

    As for other islands... I don't know. Must have been Pangea.

  40. #40
    I'm not going to take the time to debunk all of the points made in your source- some are valid, some are to be laughed at.

    In any case, suffice it to say that the theory of evolution IS IN DEVELOPMENT.

    The theories of evolution and natural selection cannot, at this point, be proven NOR disproven.
    NEITHER can creationism.
    Anyone who refuses to look at evidence for either theory risks being considered, rightly, very faithful, very stubborn, and very ignorant.

    BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT:
    It would be easy for a few seeds from plants to arrive on an island via wind. Birds arrive by air, and other animals can arrive by storm or other means.
    Islands in lakes, however, are much easier to explain. Some event can change the course of a river into two paths, cutting off an inhabited area from the mainland. Also, some animals could probably swim the gap.

    Sorry if I'm a bit spoiled on the subject of evolution; I managed to hear Dr. Frances Collins (head of the Human Genome Progect, or something like that) speak a couple months ago. He's great; if you ever have the opportunity to hear him, take it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •