Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsInteractive Story Board → I'm a time traveller. Ask me stuff.
I'm a time traveller. Ask me stuff.
2006-01-14, 9:40 PM #1
Temporal_Distortion:
Howdy yall.
My name is Timothy Druson. I'm a time traveller.
I just registered because I saw this site in a google ad and thought it would be fun to click. I really don't know a whole lot about video games or Star Wars in particular, but I always like learning. I've been hopping around the course of near human history for a while now (that's from about 500 to 2300 AD), with a few jumps really far back and really far forward.
I first posted on this board about six months from now... maybe three, I dunno. My memory's been getting a little fuzzy nowadays. Sorry if posts I make seem to be of greater or lesser quality, as my concept of "tomorrow" is fundamentally different from yours. My first few posts are really not that great. I didn't yet have control of the modern keyboard, and the caps lock was just too much to comprehend. I apologize in advance.
So, feel free to ask me about... pretty much anything, I guess. When I come from, where, that sort of thing. Ask me about the future, if you feel the need. But please, don't ask me about thing like lottery winners, stock tips, etc. It doesn't work that way.
I just realized the other day that I've been posting here for about a year now and hadn't ever gotten around to registering. I just clicked here one day six months from now and found I already had an account.
That sort of thing becomes really disconcerting after a while.

-----------------
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — for ever.
2006-01-15, 2:00 AM #2
Will we ever experience a nuclear war (to the best of your future knowledge)?
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2006-01-15, 2:02 PM #3
Temporal_Distortion:
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Actually, I haven't even started this thread yet, so whatever. I guess I should mention, I don't like reading my own posts. It's the whole "Nature of Causality" thing.
In response to your question, yes. In the future (I don't want to say precisely when), there's a brief nuclear exchange between China and... well, pretty much everyone else over there. India is the only nation that responds with a nuke, and a special UN council, set up just for the event, steps in and take provisional control of Bejing.
In the more distant future (I think it was around 4600), I recall hearing people talk about a "Great War" fought between two super powers sometime in the next 500 to 1000 years. Of course, it's more like mythology by then, but it sounds like an exchange between some European country (probably one of the ones that forms pretty soon) and a North American country.
Of course, the US wasn't around by the time of the Great War. There's going to be a country that upholds the ideals of Democracy and Apple Pie for a long time, but the Union is dissolved sometime around... ah hah, some time in the future, I should say.
See yall earlier.

-----------------
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — for ever.
2006-01-15, 8:37 PM #4
Do you experience anything similar to motion sickness, except with time travel?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-01-15, 9:07 PM #5
Temporal_Distortion:
yes i do. when travelling through tim,e it's necessary to not travel too 'fast' as this can cause drift. let me explain more clearly.
a greek philosopher named xeno said that a man should be able to outrun an arrow if he never stops running, because as the arrow travels forward, so does the man, and when the arrow is where the man was, he will be further ahead. naturally, this isn't true, because there's a smallest unit of time that my cousin refers to as a xenon, in honor of the philosopher.
there are thousands of thousands of xenons in a second, and the time machine functions by choosing only a relative few, about 300 thousand, to 'fire' on. when it fires on a xenon, the machine exists in the 3 dimensional physical world for that single xenon.
at 300k x, the time machine travels about 20 yps or years per second. the absolute safe minimum is 10k x, or about 130 or so yps, i'm not an expert at the math, that's my brother's domain in this project.
the reason it's unsafe to go any 'faster' is because, as you in the 20th century all know, but we're still struggling with when i come from, the world moves. the more the time machine exists in the physical world, the more physical laws apply to it. laws like gravity, interia, etc. if you go too 'fast', you become dislodged from the world. travel ahead 6 onths, and you'll be on the other side of the sun. actually, more, because yoou have to factor in the expansion of the univere, the orbit of the solar system, the spin of atoms in cosmos far away, everything.
as it is, you still get drift at 300k x. i've been travelling at 1000k x for the past few days to keep my drift down. everytime you re-appear, the temporal distortion bubbles shunt everything around in time, so any air i manifest in dissapears. this is bad, because that means there's about three feet of air on all sides i'd liket obreath but cant ;)
also, when i'm around copies of myself, which i try to avoid, it feels like a midler version of warm opium. the mind gets all hazy and i have difficulty speaking, which is okay because one of me already knows what i'm going to say anyways.

-----------------
2006-01-15, 9:28 PM #6
Temporal_Distortion:
Sorry about that post. That was about a year ago. I didn't know what shift meant.
I also didn't know some other things.
It seems that recently, as I emerge from the TDB (Temporal Distortion Bubble), I have this terrible moment of amnesia, or maybe more like dyslexia. It's been lasting longer after I travel and, worse, it seems to affect me before I get in the machine. Actually, it's kinda nice to get it before, because then I know that I'm gonna get in it before I know why.
Sorry, but I don't know how or why this happens. I think it might be residual Xenon buildup being ejected from the Machine in some sort of exponential falloff situation. If so, it should affect other things, though. Like, make clocks go backwards or something. I dunno.
At times, Time Travel seems more trouble than it's worth.
And, I guess I can fix that post from before.

Yes I do. When travelling through time, it's necessary to not travel too 'fast' as this can cause drift. Let me explain more clearly.
A Greek philosopher named Xeno said that a man should be able to outrun an arrow if he never stops running, because as the arrow travels forward, so does the man, and when the arrow is where the man was, he will be further ahead. Naturally, this isn't true, because there's a smallest unit of time, which my cousin refers to as a Xenon, in honor of the philosopher.
There are millions of billions (I didn't know these words when I first posted this) of Xenons in a second, and the time machine functions by choosing only a relative few, about 300 thousand, to "fire" on. When it fires on a Xenon, the machine exists in the 3 dimensional physical world for the span of that single Xenon.
At 300k x, the time machine travels about 20 yps or years per second. The absolute safe minimum is 10k x, or about 130 or so yps, I'm not an expert at the math, that's my brother's domain in this project.
The reason it's unsafe to go any "faster" is because, as you in the 20th century all know, (but we're still struggling with when I come from) the world moves. The more the time machine exists in the physical world, the more physical laws apply to it. Laws like gravity, inertia, etc. If you go too 'fast', you become dislodged from the world. Travel ahead 6 months, and you'll be on the other side of the sun. Actually, more, because yoou have to factor in the expansion of the univere, the orbit of the solar system, the spin of atoms in cosmos far away, everything.
As it is, you still get drift at 300k x. I've been travelling at 1000k x for the past few days to keep my drift down. Everytime you re-appear, the temporal distortion bubbles shunt everything around in time, so any air I manifest in dissapears. This is bad, because that means there's about three feet of air on all sides i'd like to breath but can't. ;)
Also, when I'm around copies of myself, which I try to avoid, it feels like a milder version of warm opium. The mind gets all hazy and I have difficulty speaking, which is okay because one of me already knows what i'm going to say anyways.

That's about all for now, except as an aside, I saw Jesus yesterday. I was going to post about it tomorrow but I felt I might as well kill two birds with one stone. He was really tall, a dark brown guy, kinda skinny, well developed chest, and he seemed nice. Had a lot of friends with him. I tried to ask him some questions, my mother's family being somewhat Christian (Masons, can't live with 'em, can't burn 'em in wickermen anymore), but he was speaking some language I don't know, Hebrew maybe. He seemed to get a good chuckle out of me, though. I've been thinking of reading the bible to make sure I didn't make it in, but it seems like a lot of effort. Maybe one of you knows something strange like that?

-----------------
2006-01-16, 5:22 PM #7
Do we ever achieve unanimous socially congruent relationship theory (in layman's terms, will nerds ever get the hot chicks)?
2006-01-16, 6:59 PM #8
Temporal_Distortion:
Of course. It happens fairly commonly, it's just not well known.
Silly boy.
Actually, it could be argued that my father, who was... well, a social outcast in his time, got with my mother, who was more socially acceptable.
Sorta.
My father's family are gypsies. Old country gypsies. Mystic gypsies. Yeah. Hard to get along with at times, for most people.
My mother's family are all highbrow Masons. I don't think a single one of them knows how to spread mortar. All mystics over there, too.
So, one day, my father's family is roving the countryside, pillaging travellers and whatnot (those anti-gypsie stereotypes have their basis in fact, you know), and, notably posing as a wealthy foreign family. My father and mother met on some road somewhere. Fell in love. Got married. Had numerous children, including me.
As my grandfather (mother's side) once said, "It's like a fairy tale. With a sad ending."
My mother's family aren't big fans of my father's family.
Dirty Gypsy Whelps, they called me and my siblings.
But they got used to us.

So, yes. Keep reaching for the stars, 'cause you're probably never gonna be one of them, but you never know.

-----------------
2006-01-16, 7:30 PM #9
Which sci-fi programme is the most similar to our actual future?
2006-01-16, 9:34 PM #10
Temporal_Distortion:
Huh...
You know, I'm not 100% on modern sci fi... I would say... hmmm...
This is a toughie...
I'd say... maybe Firefly? No... well, maybe. A few Star Trekky elements at times...
Maybe Deadwood? Not Sci Fi, but it fits.

In other news, I had a weird encounter with myself the other day. I seemed to be really nervous and not making eye contact. I asked myself what was wrong, and said that it was something I shouldn't talk about.
I dunno. I sometimes wonder if maybe Time Travel ain't all it's cracked up to be.

-----------------
2006-01-17, 12:12 AM #11
Since you've time travelled extensively, have you worked out when and how it is that you eventually die?
2006-01-18, 10:43 PM #12
Temporal_Distortion:
Well, that's the thing, ain't it?
I've been trying to avoid the whole "Interfering with the Nature of Causality" thing. For the most part, I avoid speaking with myself unless I know I'm not going to mess anything up too bad.
Do you know what kind of pressure that puts on a person?

Sorry, but I just gotta blog a little here about some stuff.
I'm beginning to get lonely. I don't just mean as in right now everyone I ever knew is dead and gone sorta lonely, or even the I'm the only person in the world (besides you guys) who knows what time travel's like lonely. I mean... damn.
Even in my own time, I'm an outcast. Here I am, 22, a bachelor. It's shameful. Even my youngest brother, 14, is married and working on his first right now.
I was thinking of marrying my niece. I dunno. She's a nice enough girl. Kinda scrawny.
Maybe I'll meet someone in my travels.

2006-01-18, 11:24 PM #13
Some clarification, if you will. What year did you come from? How long (relative to you) have you been time-travelling? What's the earliest and farthest time in history you've travelled so far?

Also, do you have a favorite "time" in history you like to visit? Is there a time in history you really don't like to visit?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-01-19, 5:04 AM #14
Did/do the Knights Templar really have John the Baptist's head?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-01-19, 5:29 AM #15
Will I ever be crowned king?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-01-19, 8:02 PM #16
Temporal_Distortion:
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Some clarification, if you will. What year did you come from?

Well I don't wanna tell yo uexactly (there's a whole can of worms that could explode all over the place right there) but I'll say somewhere between 1400 and 1500 AD.
Quote:
How long (relative to you) have you been time-travelling?

It varies. I'm writing this about a month after I first posted the topic, so about
a year or so. To be honest, my memory's a little hazy thanks to the after-effects of Time Travel (the Hangunder).
Quote:
What's the earliest and farthest time in history you've travelled so far?

The earliest would be... gosh. I once slept in the machine and woke up sorrounded by these weird hairy monsters. That would be... what, about 100-200 thousand years ago? I get nervous going back to far. I'm always afraid I'll interfere with all of human history or something.
Latest was... so far, only about 5500. It's kinda dusty that far ahead. A global dustbowl, I believe. Around then, there's sort of... hell, you guys aren't gonna mess anything up, there's a strange fracture in society. Technology seems to be gone, or maybe just so advanced I can't tell. Nobody speaks English, Latin, any of those nice, recognizable languages. Humans are semi-nomadic, I think, or else it was just a particular group. It was really scary.
Quote:
Also, do you have a favorite "time" in history you like to visit? Is there a time in history you really don't like to visit?

I really like the Victorian Era and the Information Age (right now) because you have the best literature, music, sexual whatevers, it's amazing. I've become addicted to the Internet. We don't even have ideas for this sort of thing when I come from, except as some vague Magick ideals of a collective mind from which all human intellect stems.
Yep, Jung was a practitioner of the Dark Arts.
Really don't like visiting anytime immediately around my life, anytime with big plagues... War always makes me nervous... The distant past is a closed book to me. Absolutely won't go there.
Quote:
Did/do the Knights Templar really have John the Baptist's head?

It's so funny you should ask that. One of my great uncles on my mother's side is a Templar. He's kinda quiet about it, but every now and then he gets drunk and tells these god awful stories about the Crusades that get passed down through the order. Scared the stuffing our of me and my siblings when we were small.
As far as I'm aware, they don't. Maybe they did. I might ask him next time I see him. He might decapitate me afterward, I dunno.
Quote:
Will I ever be crowned king?

I visited an island off the coast of New Zealand about two hundred years ago that was ruled by a tribesman named "Jespma". Darndest thing, ain't it?

2006-01-21, 9:22 AM #17
What happens when the worlds supply of oil runs out? And will George Bush be assassinated?
2006-01-21, 1:52 PM #18
Will the Arctic Monkeys album go to Number 1?
nope.
2006-01-21, 8:42 PM #19
Temporal_Distortion:
TIM!
Tim, if you're reading this, DON'T GO BACK! HE'S GOING TO GET YOU IF YOU GO BACK!
DAMMIT TIM, READ THIS! I KNOW THAT ONCE YOU READ THIS, IT'S ALL GOING TO NEVER HAVE HAPPENED!
Start reading your posts, Tim!
Dammit!

2006-01-21, 9:48 PM #20
DO WHAT TIM IS GONNA SAY TIM
2006-01-22, 1:14 AM #21
Temporal_Distortion:
Originally posted by Uberslug:
What happens when the worlds supply of oil runs out?

As far as I've seen, it never is. By 2100, Petroleum based combustibles are considered a dead technology. Of course, there aren't any broad-use replacements made for hundreds of years, but already there's nuclear, solar, hydrogen based power, that sort of thing. Various different types of power are used for various industries. I think cars in the future are either Electric or Hydrogen powered, don't quote me on either, to behonest technology's always been a tough one for me.
Quote:
And will George Bush be assassinated?

Not the current president. In about 30 odd years, a political person named Bush is assassinated, but I'm aware of no connection between the two, I just saw it on a newspaper front page.
Quote:
Will the Arctic Monkeys album go to Number 1?

I'm not aware of that band, so, probably not.
Quote:
DO WHAT TIM IS GONNA SAY TIM

I already said I don't read my own posts. If it's really important, I can always tell myself in person.
But I've made a vow not to.
Actually, I make a habit not to be around myself much at all. If I see myself in a room, I turn and leave if I can. I sometimes feel something like self-loathing when I do, I guess.
I even have a seperate bed in my room so that I don't accidentally give birth to myself.

That might have sounded just bat-****ing-loony there for a second.
I've been reading Time Travel stories to see what I should and shouldn't do. One was "All You Zombies" by Robert Heinlein.
Long story.

2006-01-22, 10:45 AM #22
I have a follow up question. Will the Arctic Monkeys make it over the atlantic?
nope.
2006-01-22, 9:28 PM #23
Temporal_Distortion:
You know... it's starting to sound familliar...
I think I read something about 5 years from now about a band where some member used to be a member of something monkeys. "A"... something... "Monkeys". Coulda been them.
In other news, I'm in love!
I met her today while I was shopping. I was picking out some perishables for myself (A few months back I got home tomorrow and found some nice oranges from myself) and there she was. She was selecting... some fruit, I forgot which. She was beautiful, with skin the color of midnight and deep, blue eyes. I admit, I kinda stalked her to the checkout line. And she noticed, too.
"You got a problem, man?" She asked. She seemed mad.
I managed to convince her I wasn't a psycho killer. She thought I was funny, which helped me, I think. I managed to give her my phone number. I hope she calls.
I hope one of me answers.

2006-01-23, 10:06 AM #24
What is the fate of humanity when the sun becomes a red giant?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-01-23, 10:13 AM #25
Will Duke Nuken Forever ever be released?
nope.
2006-01-23, 6:36 PM #26
Temporal_Distortion:
Quote:
What is the fate of humanity when the sun becomes a red giant?

I DONT KNOW I HAVEN'T GONE THAT FAR AHEAD YET

Quote:
Will Duke Nuken Forever ever be released?

YES BUT I THINK UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME

↑ Up to the top!