Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Converting BSP file to MAP file
Converting BSP file to MAP file
2008-04-20, 3:36 AM #1
Hi,

I've been trying to convert BSP files to MAP files, not because I'm a cheapo to rip maps, but I want to learn from created maps instead of ploughing endlessly in tutorials (I learn faster that way).

I've tried a couple of programs like q3map2, bsptwomap, and applications that should work on other games that uses Q3 engine (eg. MOHAA), but they don't compile successfully. They tend to create MAP files with only 0 or 1 byte in size. When I open them in JK2Radiant, all I get is an empty map.

Appreciate if anyone could teach me how to compile JK2 (or JO...) BSP Files to MAP files. Thanks.

Regards,
Sydrik
2008-04-20, 11:49 AM #2
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-21, 5:32 AM #3
Thanks, Echoman. Appreciate it.

I did accordingly, but this is what it shows.

D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\q3map2>q3
map2 -game jk2 -convert -format map pit.bsp
1 threads
Q3Map - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.2
GtkRadiant - v1.3.5-dev Feb 18 2003 20:44:49
47 man-years and counting
VFS Init: ..//base/

--- Convert BSP to ASE ---
Loading D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/Tools/q
3map2/-format.bsp
************ ERROR ************
Error opening D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/T
ools/q3map2/-format.bsp: No such file or directory

D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\q3map2>

I checked the syntax. It's correct. What could be the cause?
2008-04-21, 11:19 AM #4
I haven't done this in LONG time but what caught my eye was:

--- Convert BSP to ASE ---

That's strange. Because .ASE is NOT a .map file. .ASE is a type a model that uses brushes, but that's not what you want to turn your .bsp into.

I think Jedi Outcast is "jk2" like you posted. I don't think it goes by any other letters...maybe "jo" but I don't think so.

If worst comes to worst, use a tool such as q3map2GUI : http://www.darth-arth.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

Also, use GtKradiant instead of JK2radiant. q3map2 goes with GtK hand in hand (since it was developed for it)
2008-04-22, 5:12 PM #5
Hey that would be very helpful, Echoman! Thanks! I'll give it a try first.

Yeah, I'm always backdated in modding...
2008-04-23, 4:25 AM #6
Man... I just can't get it to work. Been trying for hours with whatever means I can, but... sighs...

The GUI version does not even have the interface to convert to .MAP, that's why I've been trying other front-ends like Q3MAP2Toolz. They too don't have that option.

Also, I tried using BSPC.exe AND the BSPC-GUI. Although the option is there, there is always errors about the lump size. I figure that BSPC is probably for Quake 3 BSPs only.

I can't figure out the forums in Darth Arth's page as I don't understand German. I'll probably write him an email and give it a try.

If you do know of a way or other suggestions, please let me know too. But anyway, I really appreciate the help that you have given, Echoman! :)
2008-04-23, 11:14 AM #7
hmm

In the q3map2 console, try "ja" instead of Jedi Outcast. Especially the same game, so the .map file wouldn't be terribly different. Worth a shot.
2009-09-01, 10:11 AM #8
Instead of converting maps, you can also ask if someone here got a .map file for you, and, btw, there are some examples. :)
May the force be with you
tj0nge

↑ Up to the top!