Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → New Releases 2008
New Releases 2008
2008-09-23, 7:12 PM #1
Seriously.

I don't see why metallica gets all the attention, when Amon Amarth delivers quality album after quality album. just got a listen to the new one.

if you liked the previous albums. you'll like. it's a decent return to the 'fate of norns' kinda sound. this is nowhere near the tribal brutality of Versus the World, but still, got me chucking my head around some.

what new releases got you tingling in 2008? it's been a rather poor year to be honest, but maybe Q4 will have good stuff.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-09-23, 7:50 PM #2
I think Metallica gets a lot of attention because their last few albums were abysmal, and it's good to see them on top again.
Think while it's still legal.
2008-09-23, 8:19 PM #3
On top of what? The album got released and I havent heard anything since.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-09-24, 10:41 AM #4
2008 was not really a vintage year, but thought the best album was Midnattsol's 'Nordlys'. They are Norwegian and in parts the music sounds like it was recorded by Emperor. Its quite good and has the solos and the keyboard stuff too. Also perhaps the Cavarela Conspiracy 'Infliked' sould also be mentioned (it was just a matter of erm... Max and Igor becoming a partnership once again), and yet another Soulfly album (which i've heard is quite ok... :downs:.
2008-09-24, 6:57 PM #5
I've been really impressed with the newer bands mostly. To-Mera with Delusions, Dark Empire with Humanity Dethroned. both are each band's second major release, and damn, they've done their homework. this is modern prog at its best. varied, genre changing, and clever.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-10-01, 8:11 PM #6
Originally posted by Eddbanger:
2008 was not really a vintage year, but thought the best album was Midnattsol's 'Nordlys'. They are Norwegian and in parts the music sounds like it was recorded by Emperor. Its quite good and has the solos and the keyboard stuff too. Also perhaps the Cavarela Conspiracy 'Infliked' sould also be mentioned (it was just a matter of erm... Max and Igor becoming a partnership once again), and yet another Soulfly album (which i've heard is quite ok... :downs:.

This.

Also, metallica blows.
2008-10-02, 11:00 AM #7
The new Death Cab and Coldplay albums I thought were amazing. Also, Scars on Broadway's debut came out. Also the BTBAM Colors DVD comes out soon *glee*
Think while it's still legal.
2008-10-02, 12:44 PM #8
Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things

I know, I'm a ***. He just makes me giggle, and he's so cute!
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-10-02, 3:17 PM #9
Ratatat - LP3

awesome funky beats
2008-10-02, 4:26 PM #10
Ratatat needs to make remixes vol 3 NOW
2008-10-02, 8:49 PM #11
I should really check out this Jason Mraz fellow if everyone talks about him.
2008-10-05, 11:06 PM #12
Remixes vol 3 would be awesome
2008-10-07, 5:51 PM #13
I'm eagerly awaiting me pre-ordered copy of the nevermore dvd. the year of the voyager

also, the more i listen to jeff loomis' solo album, the sicker it gets. awesome use of 7 strings. you kids should learn some stuff from them!
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-10-07, 6:07 PM #14
Travis' Ode to J Smith has really brought them back to their rockish roots. there have been a few odd songs here and there since Good Feeling, but this album has really brought back their early feel. perhaps it is the revival of their own record label Red Telephone Box, but i really like this album a lot better than their last two.

of course it isnt "officially" released in the US till Nov 4th... >.>
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-10-09, 10:41 AM #15
You guys are forgetting Watershed!!! Opeth returns and are so damn good at what they do.

Also we have the Steven Wilson solo album coming out in a few months, that should be good.

Oh and call me crazy, but the new Cradle of Filth album completely kills the last few things they've done, its like a mix of Midian and Dusk, if you're into that sort of thing.
2008-10-10, 12:12 AM #16
I've been meaning to pick up that Amon Amarth CD.
The Metallica cd was ok.. but to be honest.. I couldnt listen to it all the way through in one sitting.

However.. I thoroughly enjoyed the new Iced Earth CD (Matt Barlow for the win) and the new Trivium cd was pretty good too.
2008-10-10, 2:10 AM #17
honestly, the only albums that I've acquired this year that came OUT this year are local bands. [edit - nevermind, I lied]

The Selminaires - The Air Salesmen - it's ok. Just indie rock with some psych influences one of the tracks from their first album "Selminaires Rock" <--- name of the song, not the album is ****ing sweet.

Verlaine - EP - my roommates' band. pretty kickass, especially since someone that is me did some vocal tracks.

The Avalanches - Since I Left You - fun poppy stuff

Dropsonic - Low Life - ****ing awesome Atlanta hard rock. Strong Zeppelin/Radiohead influences

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple - better than his first disc, which I still don't have

Mickey Avalon - Mickey Avalon - decent rap album

Ours - Mercy... Dancing for the Death of An Imaginary Enemy - I think Ours sold out on this one. They sound more like The Killers than the Ours I used to love.

Travis - J. Smith EP - I'm excited about the new album.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"

↑ Up to the top!