Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → 3DO issue
3DO issue
2008-11-20, 1:15 PM #1
As someof you know i am currently working on my "Gundam Project".
There is an issue.

I am attempting to construct a 3DO of a Building. I want to have transparent windows that will look onto an interior design. Is this even possible with 3DO? I have tried a few different ideas and none will work. What am i doing wrong?
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-11-20, 2:21 PM #2
Yes, it is possible. Select the surface you want to be 'translucent' and check the appropriate flag. Keep in mind that in ZED they changed the term 'transparent' with the appropriate description 'translucent'.
2008-11-20, 2:50 PM #3
But how to do this while keeping the "interior" from being a 3DO? I thought about that but the interior got inverted into 3do.
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-11-20, 3:30 PM #4
Originally posted by Zero_Raven:
But how to do this while keeping the "interior" from being a 3DO? I thought about that but the interior got inverted into 3do.

There are tutorials for buildings in the tutorial section. It's simply sectors.
2008-11-21, 9:25 AM #5
Yeah but those tutorials explain it as sectors inthe level. It doesnt seem to apply to 3DO construction. The only thing i can think of is to have empty space like i did with the parking garages. :-(
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-11-21, 10:44 AM #6
Originally posted by Zero_Raven:
Yeah but those tutorials explain it as sectors inthe level. It doesnt seem to apply to 3DO construction. The only thing i can think of is to have empty space like i did with the parking garages. :-(

Do it with simple sectors, and place your building 3do around it.

Otherwise, do it like brushes - instead of using a sector to build a room, use 6 sectors that are really thin and place them in the shape of a box. when you export to 3do, they'll be 3do walls and floors.
2008-11-21, 10:51 AM #7
Why did'nt i think of brushes. but that still leaves an issue of windows. Unless the outer wall can have transparent faces. lol.

Also does anyone have a chainink texture?
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-11-21, 5:11 PM #8
You can make the window a separate sector if you want. That would also allow you to replace it with a destructible version. Or you could do it as a separate 3do altogether....which would probably be better for a destructible glass cog anyways.
2008-11-21, 5:13 PM #9
Oh yeah, don't forget, when you're working with making 3do's, always check the 'Preview as 3do' box for the sectors you want to later export as a 3do.
2008-11-21, 6:44 PM #10
Thanks Alc. Lets see if this works. I dunno if i cant get it to work maybe ill just do them as level archi. Worked before but varience in buildings is a bit more difficult this way.
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-11-23, 11:25 AM #11
There's no reason why you shouldn't do them as 3dos. Yes, they can be sort of tricky when doing the inside, but that partly depends on your approach. I'd suggest following Xzero's advice starting out. Keep in mind that the sectors do not have to be merged to export as a 3do.
2008-11-23, 7:05 PM #12
:D

Alco's right, buildings are generally easier in Sectors. You can do the buildings more advanced archi using 3dos to give the same effect, while easing the work.

Though, I usually just go all out and make the entire thing out of sectors - don't do this if you're going to have very elaborate buildings, 'cause you'll lag like hell. Simple archi should be fine.
2008-11-23, 8:57 PM #13
General Archi i use is the base square or rectangular style buildings and apartment complexs etc. the most advince ill do is a skyscraper with some mild trim work. Its a pain gettng it in arch though. 'll experiment with the 3DO for a bit. will delay the project somewhat. Also have 4 models to convert for player use. Don't know if either of you would be interested in lending a hand inbetween your own projects? Let me know lol.
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-11-25, 5:23 PM #14
I strongly recommend using all 3do's in an outdoor level. There is a limit to how many visible adjoins that can be rendered at a time. Once you past that limit, you get the dreaded HOM. Additionally, if you use 3do's in an area that has adjoins, you have problems with large 3do's rendering when not in the same sector. The last part can partially be fixed with a flicker cog, but it's really not worth it when it can be avoided in the first place.
2008-11-25, 8:34 PM #15
HOM is removed with the latest JK unofficial Patch. Most people should have it, so I wouldn't worry about the limits, unless you have a very junky PC.

However, alco has a good point. Best listen to him ;)

↑ Up to the top!