Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → incredibly strange door problem
incredibly strange door problem
2008-11-23, 4:02 PM #1
so i created a door and follwed the tutorial on this site to the dot. i even re-did the entire thing twice, but i still have the same problem. it looks fine in JED, but when i start the level, i look at where the door should be and i see this..

[http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/jamiel112/wtf.jpg?t=1227484881]
2008-11-23, 4:09 PM #2
Yeah, thats called HOM -- Hall Of Mirrors -- it can be caused by a number of things, but I'd say in this case its caused by a screwed-up adjoin.

Which tutorial did you follow?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-11-23, 7:03 PM #3
Screwed up adjoin?

Is there a door 3do there? You probably have it's second frame in a non-existent sector, or have it overlapping 2 different sectors (in first frame).
2008-11-24, 9:57 AM #4
Thanks guys. I follwed the "Basic Door" Tutorial in the big "Jed Editing Manual" thing. I haven't tried your suggestions but i will as soon as i can. Thanks d00dz.
2008-11-24, 3:56 PM #5
Originally posted by Xzero:
Screwed up adjoin?

Yep. LEC door cogs turn off the adjoins of a door's sector when its closed (for various reasons.) You'll get HOM if the door sector is bigger than the door itself.

Bagger -- make sure the door's sector is *exactly* the same size as the door, or use a non-LEC door cog. Like this one:

Code:
# the most basic JK door cog I can imagine
symbols
message activated
thing door
flex speed=4
flex wait=2
end
code
activated:
movetoframe(door,1,speed);
sleep(wait);
movetoframe(door,0,speed);
stop;
end

Save that as a "something.cog" in your project's folder and try it instead of the LEC cog.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-11-24, 8:42 PM #6
Originally posted by gbk:
Yep. LEC door cogs turn off the adjoins of a door's sector when its closed (for various reasons.) You'll get HOM if the door sector is bigger than the door itself.

Ah yes, that. The way you put it made me think of a literally messed up adjoin that he made.

Same issue is the root of the problem caused by what I explained earlier. If his door leaves a sector, then it most likely won't return after it "closes", resulting in HOM where the door should be.

↑ Up to the top!