Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Look what I found!
Look what I found!
2009-05-05, 7:27 AM #1
:awesome:
Attachment: 21852/df1.jpg (143,085 bytes)
Attachment: 21853/df2.jpg (143,543 bytes)
woot!
2009-05-05, 7:35 AM #2
I bought it for the PS1 from this 12 year old for 20 bucks out of pure nostalgia and it's amazing. He said he hated it and never played it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-05-05, 7:36 AM #3
i just wish i could install it to Vista and get it working like magics
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-05-05, 7:40 AM #4
dosbox!
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-05-05, 8:08 AM #5
I have the strategy guide / guide book too! :D
woot!
2009-05-05, 8:28 AM #6
Is it just me or is DF way harder than JK?
2009-05-05, 8:30 AM #7
JK was a piece of pee compared to DF.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2009-05-05, 8:32 AM #8
Awesome.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-05-05, 8:34 AM #9
I should dosbox it.

I never did play through the entire game..
woot!
2009-05-05, 8:43 AM #10
Many years ago, I was enjoying Dark Forces. Until I got to the part where you were in some large space ship or something. I couldn't figure out how to proceed so I gave up.

edit: It was Imperial Fuel Station... I think
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-05-05, 8:54 AM #11
That reminds me: when I first got that game I thought that Boba Fett would actually look like that in the game if you had a fast enough computer... :downswords:
2009-05-05, 9:34 AM #12
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I bought it for the PS1 from this 12 year old for 20 bucks out of pure nostalgia and it's amazing. He said he hated it and never played it.

Did you slap him?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-05-05, 9:48 AM #13
How did the game end? I forget .. it was so ages ago..
I remember Fett being near the end and was flying around like a crazy ******* ... but can't remember much after that.
2009-05-05, 10:08 AM #14
Originally posted by Brian:
Is it just me or is DF way harder than JK?

Way harder. I thought that the levels themselves were much less linear, and therefore it was a bit harder to tell where to go. I don't know if this is better or worse... but it was frustrating.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-05-05, 10:21 AM #15
I still haven't beaten the Imperial Detention Center level in DF, always skipped it.

Le sigh.

(Woah, I have the same copy of DF as well)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-05, 10:32 AM #16
Originally posted by happydud:
Way harder. I thought that the levels themselves were much less linear, and therefore it was a bit harder to tell where to go. I don't know if this is better or worse... but it was frustrating.

I always believed JK was easier than DF because, in JK, you had something to fall back to if you run out of ammo or resources. The lightsaber never "runs out" and Force always replenishes.
2009-05-05, 10:49 AM #17
I always got lost on the level that looked like Mars. It had tons of elevators and a bunch of Terminators trying to kill you. Awesome, though.
幻術
2009-05-05, 11:02 AM #18
I still have my disk. Another game I need to play all the way through eventually.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-05-05, 11:05 AM #19
There's a hardware accelerated engine rewrite of DF in progress called DarkXL. It's progressing at a substantial rate and is nearing feature completion. The newest build can be found on the project forums.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-05, 11:10 AM #20
Thanks but no thanks. I'm waiting for Dark3D.
2009-05-05, 1:46 PM #21
I still have my copy in the plastic wrap.
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2009-05-05, 1:49 PM #22
Oh and I forgot in my first post....

WANT
2009-05-05, 2:21 PM #23
I think I have a copy in plastic wrap, but it's not my original, it's one that game as a pack-in with some other game. Same with JK, I think that came with JO in the "special edition" or something. My original disk is still here though, I still remember buying it and bringing it home and almost having a heart attack that I could actually walk around and shoot **** in the star wars universe.

That quickly wore off when I realized I sucked ***. Then I hated it and never played it again until after JK came out. Then I found out how to play with a mouse (that really helped -- in fact, first time through JK I did it with the keyboard only). Then I replayed DF and enjoyed it.
2009-05-05, 2:26 PM #24
no mouse ... that's hardcore...
2009-05-05, 2:50 PM #25
yeah that's how I was too. Didn't start using a mouse until I'd been playing MP for about 3 - 6 months. :o
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-05-05, 2:55 PM #26
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I still haven't beaten the Imperial Detention Center level in DF, always skipped it.

Same with me.

Quote:
yeah that's how I was too. Didn't start using a mouse until I'd been playing MP for about 3 - 6 months.

I didn't like using the mouse at all until I played a game I was forced to. Couldn't believe how easier things became after that.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2009-05-05, 2:56 PM #27
umm.. who the hell are you? How have you been here since 2003 and I've never seen your name before?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-05-05, 2:57 PM #28
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
yeah that's how I was too. Didn't start using a mouse until I'd been playing MP for about 3 - 6 months. :o

Yep, I think that's how it was for a lot of us PC gamers back in the old days. Most games didn't utilize the mouse until mid-way through Windows 95. I grew up on games like Dark Forces and Wolfenstein 3D using just the keyboard. When JK first came out I still only used the keyboard, and eventually people told me I was nuts when I was playing online and that I should use "WASD" and the mouse, and it felt so weird and unnatural at first.

Now, if I try to go back and play Dark Forces or JK with just the keyboard, it's almost completely impossible. I remember I used to use the arrow keys, and I'd use Pgup and Pgdwn to look up and down, lol.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-05-05, 3:45 PM #29
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Yep, I think that's how it was for a lot of us PC gamers back in the old days. Most games didn't utilize the mouse until mid-way through Windows 95. I grew up on games like Dark Forces and Wolfenstein 3D using just the keyboard. When JK first came out I still only used the keyboard, and eventually people told me I was nuts when I was playing online and that I should use "WASD" and the mouse, and it felt so weird and unnatural at first.

Now, if I try to go back and play Dark Forces or JK with just the keyboard, it's almost completely impossible. I remember I used to use the arrow keys, and I'd use Pgup and Pgdwn to look up and down, lol.

same here.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-05-05, 5:23 PM #30
ah good times. i have memories of playing this at CompUSA.
2009-05-05, 5:31 PM #31
i played the demo but that's about it. :( i missed out didnt i?
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2009-05-05, 5:32 PM #32
Never played it...i was born in 91..i grew up on JK though
2009-05-05, 6:03 PM #33
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Did you slap him?

I heard the PS1 version was terrible.
2009-05-05, 9:05 PM #34
PS1 version is OK, controls aren't as good as PC. I forget specifics.

None of the levels have presented me with much of a problem. I've never done them on Hard though, partly because there's no in-level saving. I don't like playing parts of a level over after I lose. :(

Best performance I've gotten is running it on a VM (even without VM hw accel) specifically Virtual PC. DOSBox is also acceptable. NTVDM (Built-in NT/2K/XP/Vista/7 DOS emulation) is unacceptable, even with tools like VDMSound which attempt to work around limitations in NTVDM (namely, limited sound support).

Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

Emon mentioned DarkXL. It's quite promising so far, but the author has dropped back from quick frequent releases (due to his initial interest in the project) to now a longer development time for the next release (still looks like he's working on it hard though, it has an integrated editor).

2009-05-06, 12:47 AM #35
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
umm.. who the hell are you? How have you been here since 2003 and I've never seen your name before?

Because I'm a lurker and you haven't noticed my posts in the few threads I've added to?
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2009-05-06, 3:37 AM #36
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

Were is that being done, link?
Flying over there some were...
2009-05-06, 6:05 AM #37
:v:
2009-05-06, 8:35 AM #38
Only Godbothering Swedes are allowed to play it.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-07, 3:49 PM #39
I bought a psx copy and put it on my psp. portable forces.
2009-05-07, 4:17 PM #40
I actually played through Jedi Knight with a joystick. It had 6 buttons or something, which ended up being just enough. It also had a POV hat to look around with. I actually used to play online with it as well. It took quite a while to wean me off of it and go to mouse/keyboard.

Also, JK taught me the supposedly terrible habit of playing with the arrow keys instead of WASD. I still use the arrow keys to this day. I can play with WASD, but I am much better with the arrow keys. I also have jump always bound to right mouse, which I hear is rare as well.

↑ Up to the top!