Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight on Steam
Jedi Knight on Steam
2009-09-11, 9:02 AM #1
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-222-gametrailers-tv/55533

1:40
2009-09-11, 9:05 AM #2
"Jedi Knight series" could only mean JO and JA.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-11, 9:34 AM #3
Yeah, JK and MotS have almost no chance to be on steam.

Would be nice though.
2009-09-11, 9:34 AM #4
Wonder if they'll fix all the rendering problems on modern video hardware or just dump the game out there as is, even though it doesn't work at all with any of ATI's DX10 cards.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2009-09-11, 9:40 AM #5
Few things make me cringe more than these shows getting girls to pretend their geeks.

"oh my god geek moment"

Who are they trying to kid?
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2009-09-11, 9:45 AM #6
JK is part of the Dark Forces series, remember? Then after that it turned into JEDI KNIGHT II. Leaves JK itself where?
2009-09-11, 9:57 AM #7
After 11 years I still don't have the initiative to check gaming videos, so I assume some guy just mentioned "Jedi Knight" in a "Steam"y context... so, yeah.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-09-11, 11:35 AM #8
Mmmm man... if they release a JK pack (or DF pack as it should be) I will definitely snatch it up.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-11, 1:37 PM #9
Yeah, I think that just meant JO and JA.

But I'm totally going to start watching this show.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-09-11, 2:01 PM #10
Originally posted by Goit:
Few things make me cringe more than these shows getting girls to pretend their geeks.

"oh my god geek moment"

Who are they trying to kid?

You don't know any geeky girls?
nope.
2009-09-11, 2:06 PM #11
The problem isn't actual geeks, it's ones that fake it and try to be "Random" and "Zany".
2009-09-11, 2:15 PM #12
Originally posted by Brian:
JK is part of the Dark Forces series, remember? Then after that it turned into JEDI KNIGHT II. Leaves JK itself where?

that means JA is jedi knight: dark forces 2 2
2009-09-11, 2:17 PM #13
Wouldn't that be Jedi Outcast rather than academy? :P
nope.
2009-09-11, 2:19 PM #14
oh right jo is jedi knight dark forces 2 2 and ja is jedi knight dark forces 2 2 2
2009-09-11, 2:21 PM #15
Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-09-11, 2:49 PM #16
I wish they had actually used that as a title, would have been fun.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-11, 3:59 PM #17
its jka u noob

bow b4 duelz
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-11, 7:13 PM #18
CONFIRMED ON LA TWITTER
I'm stoked.
2009-09-11, 7:17 PM #19
twitter link?
2009-09-11, 7:29 PM #20
http://twitter.com/Lucasartsgames

It's nice they give a way to inform fans of updates and such, but why Twitter? Couldn't they use a simple blog instead? I want to punch the guy at LA who thought using Twitter like this is a good idea. It's so annoying to read.
2009-09-11, 7:33 PM #21
Oh, neato!
I regret giving away my steam account now!

*cough* someone should pay back the favour and buy me an account with JK wink wink nudge nudge. *cough*

anyways after that pathetic attempt to make someone feel obligated to buy me jk....

So think we will be able to use mods and expansions on this steam version?
2009-09-11, 7:35 PM #22
i find it difficult to get all that excited about DF/JK series on steam since i already have them all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-11, 7:36 PM #23
Quote:
What part of 'all of em' did you guys not understand! :) Mysteries of the Sith? Yup. Dark Forces? Yup. I really meant ALL!

Any idea how much the original DF will cost? It's easier for me than installing Windows 3.11 on a Virtual PC. I had trouble getting that to work right anyways.

Also, is there any chance people who have JK could play with people who buy JK on Steam?
2009-09-11, 7:37 PM #24
I want to see how they fixed all the issues with JK/DF on modern systems. They couldn't just slap the games on there and call it a day.

I guess DF could use DOSBOX? id software used it for classic games.
2009-09-11, 7:39 PM #25
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
i find it difficult to get all that excited about DF/JK series on steam since i already have them all

I've lost my discs ages ago, and after attempting an download of the game couldn't get it to work on xp/7
2009-09-11, 8:01 PM #26
DF works great on DOSBOX
2009-09-11, 8:02 PM #27
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Oh, neato!
I regret giving away my steam account now!

*cough* someone should pay back the favour and buy me an account with JK wink wink nudge nudge. *cough*

anyways after that pathetic attempt to make someone feel obligated to buy me jk....

So think we will be able to use mods and expansions on this steam version?

Steam accounts don't cost anything... just buy the game.
2009-09-11, 8:10 PM #28
But an account with JK does...
2009-09-11, 9:50 PM #29
This needs a Massassi news post about it!

And just spend the $5 or whatever to get the old game on Steam, geez.

Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I want to see how they fixed all the issues with JK/DF on modern systems. They couldn't just slap the games on there and call it a day.

I guess DF could use DOSBOX? id software used it for classic games.

DOSBox for DF makes sense, but I asked them about it (let's see if they respond to tweets). For JK they'd definitely have to make source code changes to support new hardware and OSs. They'd want to put in stuff like HUD scaling too for super high resolutions I imagine. Also the network code would need reworking. I wonder if the network stuff will integrate with the steam server browser...?

2009-09-11, 11:03 PM #30
I wonder if we will see a revitalization of Massassi now.

lawl.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-11, 11:38 PM #31
Even though this news doesn't really move me, it's always fun to see all those naysayers who were "OMG JK CANT BE ON STEAUM" proven wrong.

But seeing as certain games e.g. Jagged Alliance 2 (so I've heard) don't even work properly on Steam and haven't worked in years, well, big whoopity.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-09-12, 12:08 AM #32
Originally posted by Onimusha:
I wonder if we will see a revitalization of Massassi now.

Or a flood of idiots. JO and JA had one of the worst gaming communities.
2009-09-12, 12:26 AM #33
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Even though this news doesn't really move me, it's always fun to see all those naysayers who were "OMG JK CANT BE ON STEAUM" proven wrong.
Yes, apparently Lucasarts is willing to sell a game that won't function on modern computers.
2009-09-12, 1:12 AM #34
hey, ID software is selling commander keen over steam, it is actualy made so that it will launch through dosbox.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-09-12, 1:27 AM #35
I wonder will I be able to play JKE on it and will the unofficial patches work with the new versions.
2009-09-12, 6:15 AM #36
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Yes, apparently Lucasarts is willing to sell a game that won't function on modern computers.

Indeed. I don't really care if they release the game on steam or not, I already have it. If they fix the problems with modern hardware AND THEN release it on steam instead of doing the all to common dump and grab, I'll be interested.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2009-09-12, 6:23 AM #37
Well, the Fallout games work very well through Steam. The last time I tried to install those from the CDs on a modern computer failed horribly. I still probably won't buy JK since I get the feeling I'll still be quite burnt out on it.
2009-09-12, 6:27 AM #38
Originally posted by Jon`C:

well they released a game that doesn't work properly on modern video cards (republic commando's bump mapping doesn't agree with DX10 video cards) i guess the next step is a game that doesn't work on modern computers
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-12, 7:03 AM #39
I would say given their very recent track record, you should expect them to release versions that have been tweaked to work on modern hardware. What that means in terms of multiplayer, who knows. But you should expect the single player to work splendidly on new systems. They know DF can't just run via magic. This ain't the old Lucasarts.

They already released stuff like The Dig and Indiana Jones & Fate of Atlantis on Steam, and they didn't use SCUMMVM or DOSBOX. I think this is an attempt to reclaim some of the old reputation they had, rather than a quick money grab.

"LucasArts Planning Many More Retro Remakes, Re-releasing Jedi Knight Next Week"
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60413
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2009-09-12, 7:42 AM #40
It does say "series" and there's no telling wtf that means until we see it. JK, MotS, JO & JA? Or just JO & JA? Who knows.

I still have all of them, but I'd prolly buy JK & MotS again on Steam, if they actually do work better on modern systems.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."

↑ Up to the top!