Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Can I make a 3do that floats in the water?
Can I make a 3do that floats in the water?
2009-10-23, 1:59 PM #1
Is there a way I can get my 3do to actually float in the water? And thus also be affected by sector thrust, and thus would also, for example, float down a river, down off a waterfall, or whatever? Or do I have to script all the movement with cog?
2009-10-23, 3:15 PM #2
Might have to set the 3do up as a throwable template. That template seems to react with the game physics. I don't think it'll 'float', though. You might have to simulate that some how. 3do offset, perhaps.
2009-10-23, 3:19 PM #3
What Alco said, or you can look into the cogs found in this level, SM_Sith_Lord wrote custom physics cogs that react to things like explosions and whatnot. His wood planks float on water realistically. I'd definitely recommend trying them if you're capable of figuring it out.
2009-10-23, 3:33 PM #4
That looks cool, but it doesn't look like the level is available to download. Yeah, he has the floating planks in there, hrm. I seem to remember sometimes if you kill one of those flying screeching enemies, their corpses float down stream. Is that my imagination?
2009-10-23, 5:52 PM #5
Originally posted by Brian:
...flying screeching enemies...

Mynocks?

How could you have founded a Star Wars gaming website without knowing that? :huh:
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-10-23, 6:09 PM #6
You're not supposed to mock the fact that I couldn't remember the name of the screeching flying enemies, rather, you're supposed to confirm or deny whether their corpses float when they get shot.
2009-10-23, 9:45 PM #7
That looks cool, but it doesn't look like the level is available to download. Yeah, he has the floating planks in there, hrm. I seem to remember sometimes if you kill one of those flying screeching enemies, their corpses float down stream. Is that my imagination?

The level is part of the Hub Level Pack.

But yes, there are some template properties such as "buoyancy" which might be what you want to look into.
2009-10-24, 7:18 AM #8
You're not supposed to mock the fact that I couldn't remember the name of the screeching flying enemies, rather, you're supposed to confirm or deny whether their corpses float when they get shot.

Fair enough.
Mynoc[k]s do float...sort of. But so do stormtroopers, powerups, and just about everything else (excluding throwable objects--they fall to the bottom). I think it's really just a side effect of the gravity being off in underwater sectors.

Applying the "buoyancy" template property doesn't seem to do anything.

For objects with the 0x2 physics flag, an upward sector thrust will work... however, this causes the thing to 'splash' continuously.
2009-10-28, 3:46 PM #9
Originally posted by gbk:
however, this causes the thing to 'splash' continuously.

couldn't you add thrust to a water sector, and just leave like 0.1 jku of a sector right under the surface of the water without thrust?... idk

_______________ <surface
============= <no thrust
^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^ <Thrust
^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
er...
2009-10-28, 4:24 PM #10
Interesting idea. I may end up trying that plus having randomized up/down thrusts inside the water sectors so the things sort of bob.
2009-10-29, 8:21 AM #11
Try using _throwable as a parent template and adjust the buoyancy. I had some throwables in a sector with downward thrust, and decreasing the buoyancy value made them sink more slowly. Setting it to zero might keep it on the surface?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-29, 10:21 AM #12
I'll give it a try.
2009-10-29, 10:36 AM #13
Or increase buoyancy. That would make sense, but this is JK. :huh:
2009-10-29, 11:10 AM #14
You could make some keyframes and just animate them over the water :O
2009-10-29, 11:19 AM #15
I may end up doing that, but I'd rather have it more automatic. We'll see, I'm not quite there yet.
2009-10-29, 5:31 PM #16
Originally posted by lexen:
couldn't you add thrust to a water sector, and just leave like 0.1 jku of a sector right under the surface of the water without thrust?

I considered this shortly after I posted that comment. I just tried it, and it does work.

Originally posted by Emon:
Try using _throwable as a parent template and adjust the buoyancy. I had some throwables in a sector with downward thrust, and decreasing the buoyancy value made them sink more slowly. Setting it to zero might keep it on the surface?

Nope. Just tried it. Setting it to zero does nothing. Setting it to positive vales (even really large values, eg 100) does nothing. Setting it to negative values does nothing.

And this is despite being in a sector with an upwards thrust. :confused:
2009-10-29, 5:49 PM #17
You are trying it on a _throwable? Because it most definitely affected things for me.
2009-10-29, 6:46 PM #18
Yes. Turns out _throwable has the 'not affected by sector thrust' flag, so no surprise it doesn't respond to my upwards sector thrust.

I've just spent a good 30 minutes dicking around with physflags in different combinations, but could never get an object that falls with gravity and responds to thrust. I'm washing my hands of this.
2009-10-30, 7:39 AM #19
Thanks for looking into it. I'm not sure what I'll do yet but I appreciate your work -- likely it will either be just some keyframes or the thrust below non-thrust sectors.

↑ Up to the top!