Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → is there a way around this?
is there a way around this?
2009-11-05, 12:26 PM #1
I was cleaving up a railing but I've somehow made a phantom surface appear where I want blank space. Is there a way to get rid of it that doesn't involve starting the entire sector over? I've tried tagging it as Geo 0 but it just snaps back to 4.

Am I doing JED wrong? It seems like whenever I screw up I have to go back and start from scratch because I've already made a bunch of cleaves and so nothing will adjoin anymore.
Attachment: 22992/help.jpg (199,977 bytes)
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-05, 12:28 PM #2
I always un+readjoin those surfaces to get them away. Really hate them.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-11-05, 12:28 PM #3
I'm not sure which surface you're talking about. But you can try unadjoining (alt-a) and then re-adjoining (a) it. If it won't adjoin, make sure there is indeed a sector there.
2009-11-05, 12:43 PM #4
Sometimes JED won't let you adjoin surfaces because one of the surfaces has excess vertices on it. Switch to vertex mode, multiselect the whole area, and press delete. Only the excess vertices will be deleted.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-05, 12:54 PM #5
Brian: I'm talking about the one on the upper left. Here's another example. I just made this whole railing thing but accidentally missed a cleave on the left side and deleted a whole chunk of empty space. Is there any way to fill it in or am I screwed?

I am really really starting to hate JED. :mad:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-05, 12:55 PM #6
forgot to load my picture. Also, is there a way to change the CD preview so instead of being able to look inside sectors they just show up like in the game?
Attachment: 22993/Untitled.jpg (181,925 bytes)
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-05, 1:07 PM #7
What do you mean, instead of being able to look inside sectors? Do you mean make 3d preview prohibit you from walking through walls?

If you delete a sector on accident, you need to edit -> undo or rebuild the sector. For rebuilding that sector, select the surface right in front of the camera, extrude it far enough to meed the other surface (or farther, then switch to top view and cleave it off) then adjoin all the surrounding surfaces. At least, that's how I do it. Once you do it a few times it's not too difficult.
2009-11-05, 2:09 PM #8
Ah thanks for the tip.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-06, 12:52 PM #9
I'm getting mad crazy errors on consistency checker. I've been doing a bunch of detail work but now I'm getting several sector is not convex, face is not convex and adjoined surfaces don't overlap errors. My level still runs when I save jkl and test and I'm not getting any HOM, is this going to be an issue for me if I keep on building?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-06, 2:05 PM #10
Maybe. If any thing goes into that sector, physics will not work properly. The player might fall through the floor, for example.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-06, 4:26 PM #11
Find the face that is not convex and just cleave it into triangles. No more convex problems. Seeing as how there are sectors that aren't convex, you might want to cleave the sector rather than the face, therefor fixing the issues altogether.

LEC has a few of these sectors in JK, but it's best to avoid them.

↑ Up to the top!