Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Conveyor
Conveyor
2009-12-28, 10:19 AM #1
Well I'm trying to Input a conveyor to my level, similar to the one in the LEC Narshadda level.
However when I load it up, the test box I place on the conveyor, doesnt move!
The Player moves, the therms i toss on move. Not the blasted box.
What am I doing wrong?
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2009-12-28, 11:21 AM #2
Keep in mind that JK's physics engine is very primitive. Things like the player, thermal detonators or throwable crates have the "move=physics" entry in the template. Crates and such are usually based on _walkstruct or similar templates, which are "move=frame". If you want crates to move, you'd have to script them with a COG and move them between frames. This is how they were done in the LEC levels and is the best way to do it.

You COULD make your crates' templates use move=physics, but that presents two problems:

1. JK uses spheres for collision on physics objects. This means that, in order to have the crates actually touch the ground, you need to have their size and movesize be the radius (maybe diameter?) of a sphere that circumscribes the cube. This isn't too hard and really just a matter of trial and error. But since it's a sphere and you're using crates, objects will be able to move through the edges where the sphere doesn't cover.

2. You can't stand on top of physics objects.

If these are just decorative crates in the distance that the player doesn't interact with, you may be able to make them move=physics and they'll move automatically. If they interact with the player you'll want to move them with frames. Take a look at the LEC cogs for details on this.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-12-28, 3:08 PM #3
I think there is a crate called Crate_Push. Try that one.
2009-12-28, 4:39 PM #4
Well you see my ultimate goal was to make a high speed conveyor that a player would need to traverse in the level, I.E. jump across.
If you have played the HALO2 MP expansion for XBOX there is a map in ehich a highspeed train runs along a series of tracks the players can run across.
The main principal is to avoid getitng smashed by said crates lol.
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2010-01-01, 9:52 PM #5
Well crate_push DOEs work, so I think any throwable crate or object will work with this Idea. Its wicked
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2010-01-02, 8:30 AM #6
The "attachThingToSurf()" cog verb will do what you need. I've attached an example cog.

It will take any normal thing and attach it to the specified surface when the thing is activated.

The only down side is that the attachment is not easy to break--it will crush the player if he stands in the way, and the object will continue to move in the same direction as the surface even after it has reached the end of that surface.
Attachment: 23308/test-attach.txt (195 bytes)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2010-01-02, 9:35 AM #7
You couldn't put a check in there to see if it had reached a Ghost Position and if so, break the attachment?

↑ Up to the top!