Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → New Animations for Sith Engine
New Animations for Sith Engine
2009-12-28, 1:10 PM #1
Greetings, Rebel Agents

I am Dark Trooper P5 (short for Phase 5, although I am not that advanced). I was just curious to ask if it is possible for a progammer to create new character animations for the Sith Engine, be it Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith? You see, one of the problems of reusing the animations of the Stormtrooper, Imperial Officer, all enemies, the Pedestrians, and, of course, the Seven Dark Jedi, and making them look like new enemies is that they lack originality or vitality. Isn't it possible to create a new kind of character animation that would benefit an original Dark Jedi creation, or are we stuck with just reusing and remodeling Yun, Sariss, or Jerec? Even in levels for Mysteries of the Sith, you only have Dark Mara and Dark Kyle as templates for creating new Jedi, and they are both slowmoving and lack personality. Is it because the Sith Engine is not freeware, and the programmer has to work within the limits of both games, or does it require a great deal of work create NPCs and enemies with their own animations, AI, behaviors, and attacks?
2009-12-28, 2:02 PM #2
What you need is Puppet Jedi to make new keyframe animations. The program can be downloaded from this site. After making all the animations ( idle, walk, attack, etc.) you'll need to edit the particular actor's .pup file. That file is a file that basically tells the game engine which keyframes to use for different things for that actor. Alright so, I assume you have new actor 3dos. Open them in Puppet Jedi and create your new keyframe animations. Then create a .pup file for it (open one from the game to see how it is formatted/setup). Then when you set up the template, make sure you have puppet=newpuppetfilename.pup in there somewhere. I think I hit the important parts.. if im missing something, others on here will fill in the gaps.
2009-12-29, 12:44 AM #3
Nope, you pretty much nailed it MysteriousSith. The only thing missing is the AI cog, which should easily be made out of an existing one.
2009-12-30, 4:48 PM #4
there are a few things in the templates that determine the speed the actors running and how fast it can turn around... but they're not very high priority.
er...

↑ Up to the top!