Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The parable of the man who invented fire
The parable of the man who invented fire
2010-02-13, 3:23 AM #1
A long time ago, there was a man who invented the art of making fire. He took his tools and visited a tribe in the north, where the climate was bitter cold. The man taught the people how to make fire. And the people were spellbound. He showed them many uses for fire -they could cook, keep themselves warm, keep predators at bay, dance by firelight. So they built fire and were very grateful. But before they could express their gratitude, the man disappeared, because he wasn't concerned with recognition or gratitude. He was concerned only with their well-being.

The fire-making man visited a different tribe, and began to teach the art of making fire. Like the first tribe, this tribe was mesmerized. But the tribe members' passion unnerved the tribe priests. It didn't take long for the priests to notice that the fire-making man drew large crowds, and the priests worried about lost influence and power. Because of their fear, the priests determined to kill the fire-making man. Worried that the tribe people might revolt, the priests devised a clever plan.

Can you guess what they did? The priests made a portrait of the fire-making man, and displayed it on the main altar of the temple. The instruments for making fire were placed in front of the portrait, and the people were taught to revere the portrait and to pay reverence to the instruments of fire. The veneration and the worship went on for centuries.

But there was no more fire.

-Anthony de Mello
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2010-02-13, 3:33 AM #2
Alright.
>>untie shoes
2010-02-13, 3:33 AM #3
I lit up my fart once.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-02-13, 3:35 AM #4
I thought it was a great story, just wanted to share :)
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2010-02-13, 11:01 AM #5
dot dot dot
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-02-13, 11:19 AM #6
Are you all really that unappreciative and dense?

*sigh*
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-02-13, 11:27 AM #7
I'll side-step the irony of that sentence and simply say that one does not have to be dense to have a different opinion about something.
Yes, we get it, it's not that complicated a story, but it's not that clever a story either =p
2010-02-13, 11:52 AM #8
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Are you all really that unappreciative and dense?

*sigh*

Oh. I'm sorry. Woah that was deeeeeep. Let me get my spirit rings and hemp jewelery!
>>untie shoes
2010-02-13, 11:54 AM #9
Heh, I'm not trying to come across as deep or intelligent or whatever. It's a simple story, but it does have essence I think.

No need to start a flamewar (that's what my last thread was for :) )
2010-02-13, 11:55 AM #10
Tenshu, I was just messing with you in my original post. It's a cool story but, as usual, freelancer uses this as a starting point to appear high and mighty.
>>untie shoes
2010-02-13, 11:59 AM #11
Originally posted by Tenshu2.0:
Heh, I'm not trying to come across as deep or intelligent or whatever. It's a simple story, but it does have essence I think.

No need to start a flamewar (that's what my last thread was for :) )

Yeah, I've no problem with you Tenshu, and I can see why that story would have appeal to some.

Seems most threads in massassi end up in flame wars nowadays (and yes, I admit participating in one in this thread). Let's hope you just nipped this one in the bud ;)
2010-02-14, 2:01 AM #12
Originally posted by Deadman:
Yeah, I've no problem with you Tenshu, and I can see why that story would have appeal to some.

Seems most threads in massassi end up in flame wars nowadays (and yes, I admit participating in one in this thread). Let's hope you just nipped this one in the bud ;)

Damnit I accidentally keep nipping flamewars in the bud :(
2010-02-14, 7:11 AM #13
Oh that silly reasonable Tenshu
2010-02-14, 11:24 AM #14
You keep trying to start flamewars and keep failing.
It's not hard, bring up religon or politics and let it flow.
2010-02-14, 12:25 PM #15
And then another man invented fire and used it to burn the priests.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-02-14, 1:24 PM #16
Sounds like the kind of **** Ayn Rand would write.
:master::master::master:
2010-02-14, 1:47 PM #17
That's how it's done.
Warhead[97]
2010-02-14, 4:23 PM #18
Welcome to Massassi (flamewars) forums site Tenshu where it has the same hospitality as a post apocalyptic battleground like Madmax or something. I'll bet Im going to get chastised now just for this statement.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-02-14, 4:51 PM #19
On the contrary, I think that

Originally posted by Darth Dan:
the same hospitality as a post apocalyptic battleground

is one of the most apt descriptions of Massassi that I know. (On the other hand, I don't know that this at all distinguishes Massassi from the rest of the internet.)

I don't, however, think that this is something new about Massassi... we've been having flamewars for as long as I can remember.
2010-02-14, 5:12 PM #20
You kidding? This place is tame compared to everywhere else on the internet.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-02-14, 6:20 PM #21

I guess your right compared to the comment section with YouTube, thats more likely fits the description of a post apocalyptic battleground. Flaming on Youtube is not the right word its more like downright evil brutality in a verbal sense. Here on these forums it reminds me more of my High School days, maybe thats why I always visit here because I like the challenging of wits.

The massassi forums represents a status of a more educated and civilized membership, except momentarily with an attitude. I was probably exaggerating about the flamewars thing. Now someone tell me to get out of here and get back to my JK project that some people are waiting for. :D
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-02-14, 7:18 PM #22
Originally posted by Darth Dan:
my JK project that some people are waiting for. :D

;)
2010-02-14, 8:08 PM #23

Compared to most places? Absolutely. (Note that I said that Massassi's "flamewars" make it more typical of the internet, not that Massassi's climate is typical.)

"everywhere else" is, of course, an exaggeration. Look at the xkcd forums, for example, which are aggressively policed and generally more civil than here (despite being populated by high schoolers full of themselves for their above-average intellects). Or many listservs dedicated to professional, academic, or otherwise intellectually arcane subjects.
2010-02-14, 8:12 PM #24
I think the most heavily policed message board I've ever seen was the Tucker Max Message Board. If you said anything at all that might spark a flame war you were promptly permabanned.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!