Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Jedi Knight issues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTOTDOA.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	28531

Star Wars: TODOA - formerly known as The Truth of the Destruction of Apocalopolis - available for download on ModDB.
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 07-20-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Welcome to Page 11

Question: Does anyone remember if Battle of Toprawa II is supposed to have one or two endings? I've never been able to get any other ending than the bad one (where Kyle gets captured at the end), but looking at the COGs implies that a good ending was at least planned...

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    That's a negative, Big Poppa. Over and out.

"Has it won yet?"

A MotS level without lots of colored lighting?
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

I'm quite sure that MotS would have received zero colored lighting remarks if it had been named Unreal or Forsaken. Maybe even Quake 2.

(It would've also received comments like "what's with the Jedi in this sequel to Quake")

That said, I'm almost quite confident that I will die of a heart attack which will be caused by any of these:

1) Someone making an "oh no, MotS has colored lighting" remark
    2) Someone referring to JO or JA solely as "Jedi Knight"
    3) Someone failing at Latin and pronouncing Deus Ex as "do sex"
    4) Something BSP related (say, a truck having the license plate BSP-444 driving over me or something)
    5) gbk actually releasing a JK level project

I also like how Friend14's advice is "don't get rid of Windows 7" http://www.jkhub.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3535

Nice, JKGFX2019 seems to have reached 1k in downloads, even though the JkGfxMod activity has generally waned off (for instance, no one has filed new issues on Github since July). The JKNUP texture pack is also at a nice 1.5k.

Even MOTSGFX2019 has an impressive-for-MotS d/l count of 349.

WOW, YOU GUYS

Admiral of Awesome
    Outstanding issues are all either fairly minor or major enough that I can’t commit to fixing them. It’s a pretty good sign that no others have been filed.

..would like a shrubbery.
    I just got around to finally trying JkGfxMod, it's definitely working as I am seeing the HUD scale. However, I'm not getting any improvement in FPS. I'm getting just 27 FPS at 4k on a Radeon VII on Linux using steam+proton.

No CPU core is going above 30% so it's not being CPU limited.

I'm only using JkGfxMod for now, no textures or JKGFX2019 as I wanted to find the source of the issue. Here#'s my jkgm.json:

Code:
    {
        "resolution": [ 3840, 2160 ],
        "fullscreen": true,
        "correct_game_aspect_ratio": false,
        "correct_menu_aspect_ratio": true,
        "hud_scale": 4.0,
        "max_anisotropy": 2.0,
        "antialiasing": {
            "type": "MSAA",
            "samples": 2
        },
        "enable_bloom": true,
        "enable_ssao": true,
        "enable_parallax": true,
        "enable_texture_filtering": true,
        "enable_posterized_lighting": false,
        "command": "jkoriginal.exe"
    }
    Last edited by Ni; 11-14-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
    SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
    eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
    ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
    k
    WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
    N
    iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW

Admiral of Awesome
    What happens if you disable SSAO?

Edit: Other people have reported performance issues on AMD cards. Jkgfxmod has to use a more naive implementation of SSAO for a few technical reasons, so it's a lot tougher on bandwidth than what modern games do. I don't have an AMD card so I can't test, but there's a decent chance this SSAO is a bad case for AMD cards.
    Last edited by Jon`C; 11-14-2019 at 10:58 AM.

..would like a shrubbery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    What happens if you disable SSAO?

Edit: Other people have reported performance issues on AMD cards. Jkgfxmod has to use a more naive implementation of SSAO for a few technical reasons, so it's a lot tougher on bandwidth than what modern games do. I don't have an AMD card so I can't test, but there's a decent chance this SSAO is a bad case for AMD cards.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried disabling ssao and setting everything else to false, null for antialiasing, it is still limited to 28 FPS. I also forced my GPU into high performance mode to stop it downclocking and I get a GPU load of 0-4% with occasional jumps up to 53%.

It doesn't even change when looking straight down at the floor which makes me think there's something limiting it. If I run at 640x480 or 1920x1080 it's constant 60fps which makes me think it cold be vsync being applied incorrectly at 4k.

If so, the issue is wine/proton and not JkGfxMod.

edit: Perhaps it is just the resolution, it's bizarre that it's not showing high GPU or CPU usage but:

2560x1440 => 60fps
    3000x1440 => 60fps
    3440x1440 => 49fps

(tested using windowed mode as I don't think my monitor supports these) so the drop of seems to happen after about 3000 width.
    Last edited by Ni; 11-14-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
    SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
    eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
    ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
    k
    WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
    N
    iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW

While I admit that there's some loss in texture color depth in JkGfxMod, these days I can't look at something like this (TODOA TC, 2012):

Name:	todoa2012.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	28614

... without being extremely annoyed that it didn't already look like this (Star Wars: TODOA, 2019) back in early 2010 when the mod was first released:

Name:	todoa2019.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	28615