Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → JKEdit ?
JKEdit ?
2010-03-10, 7:05 PM #1
Im not shure if this is the proper place for this but..

I have noticed more JKEdit users pop up in reasent times (from editing screen shots and actually playing some new levels) and am wondering, Would it be worth while to create a set of tutorials for JKEdit?

I mean not to go into a JED vs. JKEdit fight, Both programs have there advantages and disadvantages.

I can do a lot of the tutorial making but am wondering if it is worth the time? So I will leave that question up to you

Ogel45
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City
2010-03-10, 7:35 PM #2
Considering the very small number of people still editing JK, no.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-03-11, 10:19 AM #3
Originally posted by Emon:
Considering the very small number of people still editing JK, no.

Take this sentence and make it about 27 times more discouraging, half as helpful, and quite a bit more insulting and you have something close to what I'd like to say if I had a quite a bit less sense.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-03-11, 6:00 PM #4
Originally posted by Ogel45:

wondering, Would it be worth while to create a set of tutorials for JKEdit?

If you are very Knowledged of Jkedit go for it, It all depends upon how much you know the ins and outs and the hidden editing tricks in jkedit. I use it because I discovered it first before JED, but Im now learning JED as well. Jkedit is great for automatic features, (except for the create elevator I think. I create it manually). I discovered a few editing tricks that Ole Thomasen, the creator of JKedit probably didnt even know. I have been using JKedit since 2004 and Im still finding new ways to do things, Its too bad that there are no plugins for the program, thats why Im learning ZED.

btw: If you get this off the ground, I'll give you some of my editing tricks that I learned.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-03-12, 10:07 PM #5
i'd be willing to toss a few tutorials your way as well.. I've been using jkedit for 6-7 years now myself
2010-03-13, 12:32 AM #6
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Take this sentence and make it about 27 times more discouraging, half as helpful, and quite a bit more insulting and you have something close to what I'd like to say if I had a quite a bit less sense.

What? There are very few people who edit JK and there are even fewer that use JKEdit: the target audience is very small. It's probably not worth his time.
2010-03-13, 5:36 AM #7
I disagree. It's a good opportunity to gain some experience writing technical instructions. A valuable skill.
2010-03-13, 10:16 AM #8
What? There are very few people who edit JK and there are even fewer that use JKEdit: the target audience is very small. It's probably not worth his time.

Uh.. I think you misunderstand me. I agree with you.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-03-15, 8:09 AM #9
I thought that might be the case but I thought "had quite a it less sense" made it an insult.
2010-03-15, 8:11 AM #10
Originally posted by Alco:
I disagree. It's a good opportunity to gain some experience writing technical instructions. A valuable skill.

If he wants experience writing technical documentation, he should do it on a subject with a large user base that can provide the necessary feedback to allow him to improve himself.
2010-03-15, 11:57 AM #11
If he wants experience writing technical documentation, he should do it on a subject with a large user base that can provide the necessary feedback to allow him to improve himself.

Assuming he has knowledge of something that has a larger following, then yes. Otherwise, the experience of learning how to write a technical document is sufficient to get started. Think of it like your first level. How often does it actually get released to the public?

↑ Up to the top!