Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post your favorite party/board/etc. games!
Post your favorite party/board/etc. games!
2011-12-30, 10:43 AM #1
I'm looking to expand my experiences with games that aren't of the video-game or sports variety (board games, party games, card games, etc.). To that end, I figured I'd see what games you all have played and which you enjoy and why. I would prefer to not see the super-common ones (Monopoly, chess, poker, Apples to Apples, etc.) but obviously if you have a good story behind it or whatnot, I don't wish to preclude you from posting about it.

I believe the last game of this nature that was new to me that I got to play was Aye, Dark Overlord! - a game where one player acts as the overlord and the others are his or her minions trying to grovel their way into living another day after botching an evil job. I played as the overlord when I tried it out, and it was fun stuff, though I believe we also played the simplified rules too.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-12-30, 10:55 AM #2
For drinking games I usually play ******* and Kings
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2011-12-30, 11:18 AM #3
boggle

phase 10

oh hell

cribbage

chess
2011-12-30, 11:24 AM #4
If you can, please explain the game or at least provide links if possible. Thanks!
2011-12-30, 11:42 AM #5
double post
2011-12-30, 11:43 AM #6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_(card_game">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_(card_game)

http://www.pagat.com/climbing/*******.html

meh replace the *'s with a s s h o l e
2011-12-30, 2:17 PM #7
Your Kings link is error'd.
nope.
2011-12-30, 2:22 PM #8
http://www.boardgame-online.com/
2011-12-30, 3:27 PM #9
How about a nice fun game of Pass the Handjob?
>>untie shoes
2011-12-30, 3:35 PM #10
Or "Smash Antony's Head With a Solid Steel Board" AKA SAH-WASSB.

But seriously, I really have no idea about those kind of games these days, I can't even currently remember the latest non-Monopoly board game I've even played! Oy vey
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-12-30, 8:08 PM #11
I work in a board/card/etc. game store.

Depends what your group is into. See the links I give for more detailed mechanics descriptions and reviews.

Creativity - Dixit is a good one. The cards are a textless vehicle for the players' creativity and social interaction. It scales well with age range - an 8 year old can pick up the mechanics, but the maturity level scales as all of the communication is determined by the players and not the cards, which are hugely open-ended.

Ad Populum - Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan are both popular strategy games where the players build settlements/cities/etc. and compete with one another for resources, expansion space, and so forth. Hugely popular, they have become popular progression paths for fans of more classic board games in the US recently.

Lovecraft - Elder Sign is a good choice that just came out this year. You and your team must prevent the awakening of a randomly selected Elder God by performing tasks and acquiring elder signs (hence the name). Almost a simpler version of Arkham Horror, the game is much more approachable.

Social Interaction - Munchkin is a great pick, a highly competitive card game with a fantasy theme. There are many expansions that add new elements, but the social interaction remains largely the same. It even has a version of the game based on Axe Cop.

Deck Building - Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are big players in this area. Unlike collectible card games like Magic: The Gathering, players build their decks with a limited pool drawn from the same resource (yes, some limited Magic events are similar). What you get in the box is what you play with, meaning the richest player doesn't win every time.

Lego - Heroica is worth playing. Easily customizable (it's made of Lego after all) "board" game where your fantasy-themed characters fight goblins, werewolves, etc. The other Lego games are of questionable quality, but Heroica is fun.

There are hundreds and hundreds of options on the market right now. I would look at reviews and make sure the people in your play group will be able to appreciate what the game has to offer, as well as that you have the suggested number of players - i.e. don't play Dixit with only 3 people. Good luck.
2011-12-31, 12:37 PM #12
I'm not playing anything that sounds like "dicks it"
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-12-31, 1:14 PM #13
Cranium - it's kind of a combination of other games. You move your piece around the board and then you and your team-mate do something, that thing could be charades, a pictionary type thing, name that tune... all sorts of fun things
Scattegories - It's an entirely word based game, you roll a dice covered with letters and you have a sheet with categories. You have to write down a word that start with that letter in each category, when the time runs out you compare words and you get a point for each word NOT written down by anybody else.
Rummikub - Not sure how to describe it but most people know what it is anyway >_>
Munchkin - Extremely fun little card game, one that's popular amongst the hardcore and softcore board gamers alike. It's considered a good segway game, to get people interested in what is seen as the odd kinds of board games when all they've played before is snakes'n'ladders and monopoly

Originally posted by Alan:
I'm not playing anything that sounds like "dicks it"

Sounded to me like you would in the other thread
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-09-27, 10:56 AM #14
Apologies for digging up an old thread, and I don't feel like making a new thread about it, so whatevs. I have no idea how I didn't respond back to you guys when I first started this thread. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, especially Masq for his very detailed and well-organized response!

Since I made this thread, I picked up the following games:
Munchkin (and a lot of the expansions/spin-off sets)
Arkham Horror (in retrospect, I wish I had picked up Elder Signs or Mansions of Madness)
Say Anything
Tsuro
A bunch of other standards (Monopoly, Clue, etc.)

I intend to look into the other games thusfar suggested as well as add just about any game featured on the show Tabletop:
http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/

Any others people want to suggest? They can include RPG books in the vein of Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Spycraft, etc. Also, feel free to just ramble on with any non-videogame related fun stories. For instance, in last night's game of Munchkin, the winning player managed to win by fighting a Level 1 sock puppet.
2012-09-27, 5:29 PM #15
Originally posted by Antony:
How about a nice fun game of Pass the Handjob?

That sounds fun!

Also: Beer pong.
2012-09-28, 5:33 AM #16
Carcassonne is awesome. Was published in English by Rio Grande Games until this year (the German publishers HiG have switched to ZMan to publish it in English, but they don't appear to have released their version yet).

Loads of expansions to the base game for variety, plus you can simply use many decks to form giant landscapes, colloquially known as Mega-Carc

(Edit: whoops, I see Masq suggested this one previously.)
2012-09-28, 10:25 AM #17
Cards Against Humanity is always good for a lol or two.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-09-28, 3:12 PM #18
I'm too lazy to get links, so google is your friend! ^-^

Talisman 4th Edition Revised (Fantasy Flight Games) -> This is an all-night board game. It's fantastically fun though. It's an RPG/board game hybrid. Everyone draws a character card, which gives your starting life, health, magic, etc, as well as abilities unique to each class. (There's only one of each class card.) The great thing is, even if you die, you can still draw a new character card and jump right back in! The game only ends when someone makes it to the center of the board and successfully claims the Crown of Power.

In the vein of Munchkin, I have also played Super Munchkin, Star Munchkin, and Munchkin 7: Cheat with Both Hands. All at once. ^-^ Little tip, though: if you play with Cheat With Both Hands, you need to use only some of the cards from it, or else have at least three sets of Munchkin to play with; most of the cards from that set are enhancers to other cards. I have also played with Munchkin 5: Clerical Errors, which I'm told is generally considered the best of the expansions for the core Munchkin set.

Dominion is fun, a deck cycling game and in fact the first of its kind. If you play it though, be prepared to buy expansions, cuz it will probably get dull somewhat quickly if you don't fill out the kingdom card options. There's a free app for it for Windows available for download, by the dev, I believe. The rules are available for a free PDF download as well.

Thunderstone is another deck cycling game that I find fun. There is a Facebook app of that, including a tutorial. Only the tutorial and core set are free, however; expansions cost money. You can play vs AI or other Facebook players. It's more complicated than Dominion, but in a good way.

Ascension, by contrast, is the simplest and quickest of the deck cycling games I know, both in setup time and play time. It's my personal favorite deck cycling game, in fact the first one I ever played. Although it's simple to learn, it has a LOT of subtle depth and room for tactics and strategy, with various card synergies and whatnot. Like all deck cycling games, it is NOT a CCG; it all comes in the Core Set, just like Munchkin, though of course there are add-ons. The Core game for Ascension is called Chronicle of the Godslayer, and allows 4 players. There was an add-on called Revenge (or maybe Return) of the Fallen which lets an additional two players join. Then they released a second expansion that is large enough to play by itself with four players. If you only get one of the big 4-player sets, get the second one, Storm of Souls; it adds Events and Fanatics to the playstyle (which can be played with any of other sets). There is a free fanmade Windows app for it (original core set only), and there is a professional iPad app as well.

Nightfall is a fun fun fun deck cycling game, and my second favorite of the four I've listed. There's an iPad app for it as well. It plays up to 5 players, has a vampire/werewolf/undead slayer theme to it, and has a good depth.

Race for the Galaxy is not a CCG, but nor is it a deck cycling game. It is LOADS of fun. It takes a bit to learn, and even more to master it, but it is oh so worth it. There is a free, professional-looking Windows app available from the dev, and the company website has the rules for download as a free PDF. GET IT. I love it.

Of all these games, Ascension is the quickest to set up and play. Munchkin is the next quickest to set up, though not necessarily to play. Talisman 4th Edition Revised is similar to Risk in that you need to have a good chunk of time invested to play it, especially the more people you have playing. (Up to 6, I believe.)

↑ Up to the top!