Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Level Pack Contest 6 - JK Anniversary Edition (Prize Pool: $611.00)
Massassi Level Pack Contest 6 - JK Anniversary Edition (Prize Pool: $611.00)
2012-04-17, 11:52 AM #1
The Rules:

• The Level Pack will consist of 4 SP levels.
  • You may submit 1 (one) SP Jedi Knight level. You are allowed to have a package of levels, as long as they are all one continuous story (like TODOA).
  • The due date is Sunday, September 30th, 2012, 11:59PM EST.
  • Voting will begin the following day, and end on Sunday, October 7th, 2012.
  • Levels must follow the standard submission guidelines, except for the directions below. I reserve the right to disqualify any submission that has not followed the rules.
  • NEW RULE: You may use thing/adjoin/etc patches for your levels, but you must state the requirements in the level description. Also please state if you use 16-bit mats.
  • NEW RULE: You make work as a team. All people on the team will count as their 1 SP level (so you cannot submit another in addition to the team submission). Prize winnings, if any, will be split evenly among the team.

[/SIZE]
The Prize:

The prize amount is decided by YOU ALL. I will be putting $10 in (sorry, I'm poor), but beyond that, it's up to you all. Send monies to coolmatt@sorrowind.net (yes, "coolmatt", that is not a typo) on PayPal with a note stating it is for the MLP Prize Pool. Include your forum username so I know who you are! Prize money will be split 70%/20%/10%. I will update this thread with the running total. Winners may take the money or have it placed in the Massassi Charity Pool for the end of the year.

Judging:

The judges will be anyone who donates to the prize pool, in addition to the people who have submitted to the contest. Those who have submitted to the contest cannot vote for their own submissions.

This may be subject to change, but no matter what, if you donate to the prize pool, you will be allowed to judge.

Submissions:

• Submit all levels to this email address: mlpcontest@sorrowind.net
  • Submissions MUST follow submission guidelines like any other level. (Screenshots, zipped, readme file, etc)
  • Attach the file if it is smaller than 5MB. If it is larger, upload it somewhere and link to it in the email. Dropbox is really good for this.
  • STATE WHETHER: you use 16-bit maps, or used the adjoin/thing limit removals. Failure to include this in the description is liability for rejection.
  • Include your forum username! If I don't know your username, you won't be added to the contest.
  • If I do not respond to your submission email within 3 (three) days, PM me on the forums. It likely means I didn't receive it.

Prize Pool:

​$611.00

Current Judges:

EAH_Triscuit
Lord_Grismath
JediKirby
Andrew_L
Zloc_Vergo
GHORG
Emon
Elmo
GoY
MrRavenX

Release Date: October 9th, 2012 - Jedi Knight's 15th Anniversary.
2012-04-18, 12:33 PM #2
[http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif]
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-04-18, 2:09 PM #3
So who's actually doing this? I'll do it but only if everyone else is doing it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-18, 2:28 PM #4
I'm doing it!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-18, 2:36 PM #5
im doing it.. and not Dark Tome either (though i will release that).. but a completely new project
2012-04-18, 2:37 PM #6
Well now I know I'll lose, but I'll enter anyway!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-19, 3:16 AM #7
I'm getting Magrucko to come out of retirement...
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-04-19, 5:47 AM #8
Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
im doing it.. and not Dark Tome either (though i will release that).. but a completely new project

omfg, youre the biggest cock tease honestly, you know Dark Tome is done, or 99% done, just push a few more buttons and upload already
2012-04-19, 7:58 AM #9
Im doing this
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City
2012-04-19, 8:28 AM #10
Don't forget to toss some money in the pot folks, especially if you want to judge. A sweeter pot will motivate more people to actually finish some levels.
2012-04-19, 8:34 AM #11

And it begins...
2012-04-19, 8:43 AM #12
/me humps Goit
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-04-19, 8:55 AM #13
Originally posted by Couchman:
omfg, youre the biggest cock tease honestly, you know Dark Tome is done, or 99% done, just push a few more buttons and upload already

its really gonna be released soon.. now that im back in editing mode
2012-04-19, 2:26 PM #14
Originally posted by Goit:

And it begins...

I see dflt.mat.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-04-20, 12:26 PM #15
I'll throw in 5 bucks later, might be the last hurrah for JK and I would hate to miss out.
2012-04-20, 5:49 PM #16
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHhc9xhG7k
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-04-20, 6:20 PM #17
you already have a job :argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-21, 12:13 AM #18
$235? Nice! Last time I checked it was like 30 dollars.

So tempted.. so utterly tempted..

Edit:

Look what you made me do

edit 2: this is way easier than it was when I was 15

[http://i.imgur.com/eSUVm.jpg]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-04-21, 2:34 AM #19
Deal me in.
? :)
2012-04-21, 8:18 AM #20
oH god No

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/NONever.jpg]

Must... cure this sudden burst of acute ZEDitis with NUCLEAR WEAPONS
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-04-21, 9:06 AM #21
hey you retired :argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-21, 1:52 PM #22
Money will do that.
2012-04-21, 4:13 PM #23
Originally posted by PedHead:
Couldn't tell what Grismath said after "cha-ching, what's that? Oh you are making 'something goes here' rich." Maybe it's an inside joke I don't get.

Regardless, I think it's been 8 years since Grismath has posted here? Welcome back.

He said Kedri, an old inside joke about how you are supposed to give Kedri a nickel every time x happens (I forgot what x was).
2012-04-21, 4:15 PM #24
I am going to be adding to the pot, since I was left in charge of jdkf2.net and #jk on gamesurge I should be. I will be adding a generous amount since I love JK, and to this day its my favorite game of all time.
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2012-04-21, 4:41 PM #25
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHhc9xhG7k

I'll give you a hundred dollars, but I don't want the game to be about me. That would be a very boring game.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2012-04-21, 9:08 PM #26
Finally got JK working again and have been tinkering around in ZED. I don't know how my 14 year old self managed to do half of the stuff I did. This is... difficult.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2012-04-21, 9:38 PM #27
Guess who's back... back again... Beefy's back... tell a friend!
2012-04-21, 10:14 PM #28
And might you be participating? Have you ever made a SP level before btw (not doubting your ability; just curious)?
2012-04-21, 10:22 PM #29
Originally posted by Darth J:
Finally got JK working again and have been tinkering around in ZED. I don't know how my 14 year old self managed to do half of the stuff I did. This is... difficult.

It's certainly not like riding a bicycle, is it? I spent a ****ing hour just trying to re-memorize the keyboard shortcuts, which was made even more difficult because I'm using a Mac keyboard. I won't even go in to the irritation that's trying to install Windows 7 via Boot Camp under Lion even before trying to install JKDF2 & JED/ZED. I'm ready to shoot myself in the ****ing face & I haven't even cleaved a sector yet.
2012-04-21, 10:39 PM #30
money on the LINE, damn boi
2012-04-21, 10:43 PM #31
Originally posted by Darth J:

I'm sure the big thing is that your 14 year old self was ravenous and persistent as **** when it came to figuring that stuff out. When I think back on how quickly I picked up new software like Radiant or whatever back in the day, I'm always kind of impressed. You could just poke around without succeeding for a much longer time before becoming frustrated, if that ever happened at all.
2012-04-21, 10:52 PM #32
I use a mac keyboard as well. Took a day or 2 of becoming efficient. Dragging and moving anything was the most tricky to resolve. Shift + ctrl, drag the item, let go of shift while still holding ctrl.

Are you running Windows via Boot Camp or virtualization? I had JKDF2 running decently under VirtualBox at one time but was unable to smooth things over this time around.
2012-04-21, 11:03 PM #33
I didn't even have to spend any time reacquainting myself with the shortcuts. c, ctrl-drag, del, x, ctrl-x, shift-x, a, shift-s, space, shift-1-3, f9, f12, n, ins, ctrl-c/ctrl-v/ctrl-z, s, t, f, e, v, it's all still.. there.. like it never left. eerie

oh and who could forget the ever-famous ; and '
and . and ,
and ctrl-. and ctrl-,
and shift-ctrl-/

oh yeah and f10 every 30 seconds
2012-04-21, 11:14 PM #34
A lot of it is still there. Unfortunately, every 20 minutes or so I will try to do something and not be able to remember how to do it. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to rotate a sector.
2012-04-22, 12:50 AM #35
lol, seems people are split both ways on getting the hang of zed. Normally in this case I'd be doing the same some time in the next couple months, but because it is SP, I might pass & just donate to go be a judge (good idea to build that prize up too Matty). It takes a lot to motivate me to open my JK editor these days. Life definitely keeps all of us busy, especially now that people have jobs and hardly any spare time.

It's nice that you have the due date set 9 days before JK's 15th anniversary. I always miss out on Oct 9 because it's my birthday as well. (It was meant to be that I was born on that day, I hope you can understand). I don't think you have to worry about having only one participant this time (so I can't take Triscuit's $100 again this time) ;) srsly though, it was a privilege that he offered that "build map" opportunity; with that money, I bought a printer that I still use to this day.

Good luck on your projects!

_yo_wasup_
-=__/¯¯l¤¥Ø¤l¯¯\__\/\/ª≤uÞ_=-
http://www.TeamYo.org
2012-04-22, 6:12 AM #36
Running VMware Fusion 2 virtualization with Windows XP. Just recently purchased the CDs over using the Steam version which is a complete nightmare and overall glitchy.

I'm going to give VMware Fusion 2 a shot--I just spent the past 24 hours attempting to get JK working properly in VirtualBox & Parallels with Windows 7 to no avail. I'm getting really tired of switching partitions already & really need to go the virtualization route. I recall running JK in VirtualBox awhile back but now that I think about it, I was probably doing so with XP.
2012-04-22, 6:13 AM #37

**** you coolmatty. Don't you think I already have things to do? **** you.
2012-04-22, 6:15 AM #38
SECOND REPLY:

Quote:
I'm going to give VMware Fusion 2 a shot--I just spent the past 24 hours attempting to get JK working properly in VirtualBox & Parallels with Windows 7 to no avail. I'm getting really tired of switching partitions already & really need to go the virtualization route. I recall running JK in VirtualBox awhile back but now that I think about it, I was probably doing so with XP.

As far as I can tell JK runs in win7 64 bit JUST FINE if you use -wingui.
2012-04-22, 8:37 AM #39
I'm lookin' forward to all you old MP editors making SP maps.

I'm running JK on windows 7. I have to use -windowsgui. I just followed the tutorial at JKhub and it works fine.
2012-04-22, 10:47 AM #40
Anyone got SM_SithLord's contact info? I think he'd be a great applicant for this. Maybe Purgatory with a single player storyline? Yes, I think so.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

↑ Up to the top!