Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Simple Pickup
Simple Pickup
2012-07-31, 11:35 AM #1
Has anyone else been following this website/youtube channel?

They are 3 guys, very average looking about 22 years of age who go out and meet women. These three are geniuses and enstill me with a great deal of confidence.

They all have very interesting backstories. The one for example is some indian kid who used to be obese and addicted to world of warcraft but now is a woman meeting god.

They have very funny and very instructional videos. Their "Get her number!" segments are there to show you how rediculous you can be and still get really cute girls numbers. Theyve done things like dress emo/goth, dress like nerds, wheelchairs, fresh prince of belair pickup lines, and just today they posted getting pants and still getting her number.

They also have a subscription for 5 dollars called Project Go which gives you uncut videos of them picking up a girl in vastly different situations such as at work, randomly on the street or while shes jogging etc. Then they show the video again and break it down with their commentary and sometimes show you the subsequent text conversations afterwards.

These videos arent for desperate lonely people. They are for everyone showing you that self-confidence is key, and there are no such things as "girls out of your league". I've never been bad with women, I just never thought I could learn so much.

Here are some sample videos

Links:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimplePickup

http://www.simplepickup.com/
2012-07-31, 12:34 PM #2
Oh dear Couchman has discovered PUA
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-07-31, 12:41 PM #3
Not really, I've never been interested in such a thing. These three are the only time my curiosity has ever been struck let alone completely taken. I gaurantee you'll enjoy their videos for at least the laugh factor, but you might also be able to pull something out of them as well
2012-07-31, 1:21 PM #4
ha ha ha, look at that girl respond positively to overt sexual overtures in a situation that is embarrassing to both her and the male. How enthralling!
2012-07-31, 1:22 PM #5
look at those men completely failing to act surprised when their pants are pulled down, making it seem as though the entire incident was creepily staged for the benefit of the woman and some unseen audience.
2012-07-31, 1:23 PM #6
Wow what a vocab
2012-07-31, 1:24 PM #7
Originally posted by Jon`C:
look at those men completely failing to act surprised when their pants are pulled down, making it seem as though the entire incident was creepily staged for the benefit of the woman and some unseen audience.

And yet they will probably meet more interesting women than the two of us combined in our lifetime, so that's why I'm not going to chose to hate and be jealous of someones self-confidence and talent
2012-07-31, 1:41 PM #8
Isn't Jon`C happily married?
>>untie shoes
2012-07-31, 1:42 PM #9
Looka mista PageWizard, Imma show you my (un)pantswizard HOO-HWLOUGH
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-07-31, 1:44 PM #10
Originally posted by Couchman:
And yet they will probably meet more interesting women than the two of us combined in our lifetime,
This is not a goal shared by any self-respecting adult.

Quote:
so that's why I'm not going to chose to hate and be jealous
I don't "hate and be jealous" of the people who made these videos. That would be absurd; that would be like being jealous of the Bangbus people for driving a super cool van.

I hate you for posting about it.

Quote:
of someones self-confidence
Self-confidence for the sake of self-confidence is not something you should aspire toward. When you don't have something to be confident about, it just comes off as shallow and arrogant, pretentious at best and blatantly self-deceptive at worst. When you have a reason to be confident it doesn't even occur to you that the alternative is an option.

Do you understand?

Quote:
and talent
Their talent of being self-confident good at editing out the hundreds of times they get rejected every day. Super cool story, bro.
2012-07-31, 1:45 PM #11
that would be like being jealous of the Bangbus people for driving a super cool van.

I'm jealous of the Bangbus people for a lot of things, but having a cool van isn't one of them.
>>untie shoes
2012-07-31, 1:56 PM #12
This is not a goal shared by any self-respecting adult.

I don't "hate and be jealous" of the people who made these videos. That would be absurd; that would be like being jealous of the Bangbus people for driving a super cool van.

I hate you for posting about it.

Self-confidence for the sake of self-confidence is not something you should aspire toward. When you don't have something to be confident about, it just comes off as shallow and arrogant, pretentious at best and blatantly self-deceptive at worst. When you have a reason to be confident it doesn't even occur to you that the alternative is an option.

Do you understand?

Their talent of being self-confident. Super cool story, bro.

So you clicked on a thread that you knew you had nothing to contribute to for the sake of trying to come off sounding like a hardass? Why would you bother posting in a thread you have zero interest in? Did I post in the "God Bless America" thread? No. I've never seen the movie. There is nothing I can contribute to the discussion. Did I post in the "The Dark Knight Rises" thread. Yes. I had seen the movie and wanted to discuss plot details.

These people aren't self confident for the sake of being self confident. If you would have read my original post you would know that they came loner/depressed/anti-social backgrounds. The whole moral of the story is that if you work hard enough at it, you can stop being less of an introvert. It is like an unformal Dale Carnagie course. They don't do rediculous things to show off or try and look cool, they do it to show you that you don't need to be afraid of other people, most of them have a sense of humor and will accept you and be interested in whatever makes you weird. Of course they fabricate these in the videos.

Please stop posting in my threads where you have nothing to contribute to the discussion besides some futile attempts to hurt my internet feelings. If nobody cares about this topic then OK. Don't post. I'm sure the thread will be on page 2 in the next two weeks or so, so you can forget about it.

Your personal attacks are not appreciated, and are a waste of your time.
2012-07-31, 2:16 PM #13
Please stop posting in my threads where you have nothing to contribute to the discussion besides some futile attempts to hurt my internet feelings. If nobody cares about this topic then OK. Don't post. I'm sure the thread will be on page 2 in the next two weeks or so, so you can forget about it.
I am contributing to the discussion.

PUA **** has never gone over well on this forum, not now and not when YKS_Pagewizard was posting it back in the day. Why do you think that is? You've been a member for about 4 years, so you should be able to explain why the people on this forum generally consider aggrandizing such accomplishments to be douchey.

In the meantime I'll be on a second wave forum, posting about the matriarchy and telling the uppity lesbians that if they don't want to talk about it then they shouldn't post in my thread.
2012-07-31, 2:36 PM #14
I am contributing to the discussion.

PUA **** has never gone over well on this forum, not now and not when YKS_Pagewizard was posting it back in the day. Why do you think that is? You've been a member for about 4 years, so you should be able to explain why the people on this forum generally consider aggrandizing such accomplishments to be douchey.

In the meantime I'll be on a second wave forum, posting about the matriarchy and telling the uppity lesbians that if they don't want to talk about it then they shouldn't post in my thread.

I've never heard of that member. So I wasn't aware there was a an existing hatred towards the subject. Now I know. And will never post about the subject again. However I have seen people occasionally posting about girls. I was hoping this thread could show them that they shouldn't get strung up over one girl who doesn't even know their name and all they have to do is walk up to a random one and see if they have anything in common. If not, move onto the next.

I also find your second wave forum metaphor to this thread as poor, because this is a Jedi Knight franchise editing forum, and 95%+ of topics are not related to that. Nobody is specifically here because they hate pick-up artists. So while I see where you're trying to go with that, my intentions weren't similar to that of going to a KKK forum and asking for donations to the NAACP.
2012-07-31, 2:45 PM #15
Your description, and the examples you posted don't match up. Not to mention, unless all you're interested in is STIs, you're going to have to tell her parents and everyone else you know how you met if you actually marry a girl stupid enough to fall for this douchey crap. If you've ever connected with a stranger, regardless if you want to get in their pants or not, then you'd know that this **** isn't necessary at all.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-07-31, 3:00 PM #16
They delete the numbers, except for the ones where they go on an instant date.

I honestly don't see the difference in how people meet others. Why must we always meet the co-worker, the friend of a friend, or now the increasing popular internet matchmaking sites.

Just because someone is a stranger walking by during the middle of the day shouldn't mean they are undateable? Why can't they be approached? Told they look lovely that day, and you would like to get to know them? To be honest that sounds a lot less creepy than the classic stories of "I met him at the office, I walked by his office everyday or made excuses to talk to him just so he would notice me. etc etc etc". At least the first option is upfront and honest without all the crap in between. The only thing you really know different about the person in story B is that they have a job. Other than that they start as complete strangers walking by I guess, just in an office building and not on a street.

I didn't look into these videos further for sex. I honestly was just curious as to how much they truly believed in the fact that you can approach any girl, any where, at any time and it is OK. Now I believe that too. Since I've started watching these videos I've asked plently of girls out, just told them they were cute/interesting and to get coffee. Some gave me their number and some didn't. Some dates were interesting some were boring. I really am learning a lot about what time or girls I connect with and which I don't. I was hoping you guys wouldn't see all this at face value like I first did and take a deeper look and try and take something out of it.

Am I the only one here who thinks a random, daytime approach is a valid way to meet a woman? I won't be upset at all if I am. I am just trying to gague the statistics here.
2012-07-31, 3:07 PM #17
The whole moral of the story is that if you work hard enough at it, you can stop being less of an introvert.

I'm not going to wade into this cluster**** of what's verging on the slimey, but for the record, being an introvert and being shy are two different things.
nope.
2012-07-31, 3:24 PM #18
True. Introversion is neither good nor bad (just like Extraversion), shyness is very different and is something that everyone should do the best to overcome.

I'll lay my cards out. I'm am generally supportive of pickup, whilst there are some disturbing misogynistic undertones amongst a not-insignificant number of their community, for the most part the core advice is good. In trying to overcome my own depression, i've read the books of Dr. David Burns, who is a big name in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy circles. One of his books, Intimate Connections, is about teaching people to have better interpersonal skills (geared toward romantic relationships, the goal being mutually beneficial relationships, as opposed to one where one partner has an unhealthy dependence on the other. No sentence in this book would be out of place in a pickup class, and at no point whilst reading it did I feel a sense of discomfort about any misogynistic undertones (there are none), and this is coming from someone who is normally paralysed by overanalysing how other people might interpret things.

I truly admire anyone who has the guts to start an enjoyable conversation with strangers, it's what I aspire to be like.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2012-07-31, 4:38 PM #19
Am I the only one here who thinks a random, daytime approach is a valid way to meet a woman? I won't be upset at all if I am. I am just trying to gague the statistics here.

If you give two ****s about women's side of things, you wouldn't think it's valid. I'd rather know what makes you think women in general want you to randomly approach them in attempts of dating them. There are places for meeting strangers, places where everyone is actually looking, instead of just bothering them in the middle of their day. I don't think this sort of approach is brave, I think it's rude.
2012-07-31, 4:54 PM #20
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I'd rather know what makes you think women in general want you to randomly approach them in attempts of dating them. ... I don't think this sort of approach is brave, I think it's rude.

This. A lot.

I don't admire people who randomly strike up conversations with strangers, with sexual overtones or otherwise. If I'm feeling sociable, I'll go somewhere social. If I'm going about my day, I'd really just rather be left alone.
2012-07-31, 4:56 PM #21
[http://i.imgur.com/rMY7g.jpg]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-07-31, 5:15 PM #22
Quote:

Guys. Hello. I didn't watch the videos and I'm not going to (not interested) but how many of you who are criticizing couchman have actually been on a grownup date? Like 99% of the time the woman is not going to ask you out.

Quote:
I'd rather know what makes you think women in general want you to randomly approach them in attempts of dating them. ... I don't think this sort of approach is brave, I think it's rude.

You don`t have to be a desperate sleazebag and ask every woman you encounter, but if you like someone take some time to talk to them. Girls are not going to date you because you`re Mr. Nice Guy, you have to be a little aggressive.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-07-31, 5:15 PM #23
Originally posted by Vornskr:
If I'm feeling sociable, I'll go somewhere social. If I'm going about my day, I'd really just rather be left alone.

I believe Detty was referring specifically to places meant for social gatherings.

Anyway I'm with Detty in that PUA has a basis in legitimate psychology. But my problem is that it takes what are legitimate techniques for interacting with any person and reduces them into ways to objectify women as a game for getting laid.
2012-07-31, 5:19 PM #24
Originally posted by Tracer:
Guys. Hello. I didn't watch the videos and I'm not going to (not interested) but how many of you who are criticizing couchman have actually been on a grownup date? Like 99% of the time the woman is not going to ask you out.

There's a difference between being confident enough to ask someone out and assuming that every woman in every public situation is a "target" to be "asked out."

You can spot failed PUAs at bars, where they seem very confused and, often offended, that a random group of women, who are just out having fun with their friends, don't want to talk to him and his wingman.
2012-07-31, 5:27 PM #25
Really? I've never actually encountered one of them in the wild.
nope.
2012-07-31, 5:39 PM #26

You don`t have to be a desperate sleazebag and ask every woman you encounter, but if you like someone take some time to talk to them. Girls are not going to date you because you`re Mr. Nice Guy, you have to be a little aggressive.

I don't think that disagreeing with their confrontational innuendos and sexual advances upon women they have literally just seen and are attempting to impress for a camera is discouraging asking women you connect with out, being aggressive, or being confident. I'll tell you though, every girl I've ever gone on a real adult date with I wasn't even interested in at first, and all of the women I've actively pursued and did things to impress were disinterested.

Also, you realize many Massassians are married to some pretty fantastic ladies from what they've said about them? Again, if your goal is to get a ton of party head, then maybe talking about your broom stick to strangers is an effective tactic. I certainly wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with a person I impressed with a comment like that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-07-31, 5:50 PM #27

Like Emon said, it's a different situation. Just because you want to date them is not a valid reason to just approach random strangers. This isn't about being "Mr. Nice Guy" (seriously, that term needs to die, it's completely vapid), it's about having a level of respect that, just maybe, women don't want to be propositioned all the time just because they're women.
2012-07-31, 6:35 PM #28
Quote:
Also, you realize many Massassians are married to some pretty fantastic ladies from what they've said about them? Again, if your goal is to get a ton of party head, then maybe talking about your broom stick to strangers is an effective tactic. I certainly wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with a person I impressed with a comment like that.

Not sure if you're addressing me or the couchman video or if we're just not communicating. Men who consider themselves pickup artists are jerks and I'm sure that the guys in the video are no exception. I don't see what's so bad about striking up conversations with strangers? If you have some social graces there are ways to do it without coming off super awkward and weird. A conversation doesn't have to lead to a date, and a date doesn't have to lead to sex. And why should you not date people you don't really know? Going on a date is a great way to get to know a person and become friends.

CM: So you see someone attractive, you take some time to talk to them. If you have functional social skills it should be pretty easy to figure out if they aren't interested in going on a date. If they aren't dropping hints to the negative, then what's the harm in politely asking?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-07-31, 6:43 PM #29
That's not the same as perusing around town thinking "HOT CHICKS EVERYWHERE, WHICH ONES SHOULD I ASK OUT?"
2012-07-31, 7:01 PM #30
Tracer and I are on the exact same page.

Though I know what you guys mean about people are going about their business and don't want to be bothered while they are hustling about town. However, as said before, many people who GO OUT to bars and such, don't want to be bothered either, because they have spent money there and are probably with their friends and are just trying to enjoy their evening.

Also, yes, it has been brought to my attention that women will not normally ask men out. So yes CM, I will sometimes ask women out just for the sake that they are women, just because of the fact that they WONT ask me out just for the sake that I am a man and they are not. If women were equally as aggressive in their romantic pursuits it would make men seem less like the villians for trying so hard.

But yeah I can definately see where you're coming from.
2012-07-31, 7:11 PM #31
I'm just going to pretend that this is a "Couchman Sucks" thread.
>>untie shoes
2012-07-31, 7:37 PM #32
... less like the villians for trying so hard.

Or you'd see their side of it more often.

I didn't dare make the analogy before, because the obvious response is "I WOULDN'T MIND IF GIRLS WERE HITTING ME UP" etc etc. It's probably true for you, but it'd miss the point of the analogy. What it's like, as a gender that is from day one institutionalized into believing that they must fear men and that they're sex objects. I imagine that even the most neutral of talks would look like a proposition for sex at that point. Not to mention (especially for the more attractive women out there) it'd get really, really old.

But what do I know?
2012-07-31, 7:42 PM #33
because the obvious response is "I WOULDN'T MIND IF GIRLS WERE HITTING ME UP" etc etc.

Corollary: older, divorced women gathering around a decent looking guy, squeezing his biceps and making using bad pickup lines.

i.e. constantly attracting attention from people you aren't necessarily interested in.
2012-08-01, 4:29 AM #34
If you give two ****s about women's side of things, you wouldn't think it's valid. I'd rather know what makes you think women in general want you to randomly approach them in attempts of dating them. There are places for meeting strangers, places where everyone is actually looking, instead of just bothering them in the middle of their day. I don't think this sort of approach is brave, I think it's rude.

You don't give two ****s about women's side of things, you give two ****s about your view of how women should respond when approached by a stranger.

The world is filled with polite masturbators :)
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2012-08-01, 5:15 AM #35
At least the first option is upfront and honest without all the crap in between.
You are literally advocating for prostitution. Good job.

Originally posted by Detty:
I'll lay my cards out.
No, Detty. No. I'm sorry, but this is awful.

A goal of self-improvement is a truly wonderful thing. Becoming a better person doesn't just mean you'll be more attractive to others, it means you'll be able to offer other people something to enrich their lives. Great! And if you find some of the pep talks PUA people give helps you in your quest to overcome your mental illness, that's great too!

On the other hand, the only goal of PUA is to get your ego/dick stroked. The goal is the abuse of human psychology in order to get something you want that the other person would not normally want you to have. It's ****ing bull****. All of it. Their attitude isn't misogyny, it's misanthropy. If you seriously think PUA is okay as-is, you're literally a sociopath.

PUAs and their advice treat women like coin-op arcade prize machines, where all you have to do is insert money, press the right buttons, and sex will fall out. It's not about the person, it's about finding the right buttons.

Quote:
I truly admire anyone who has the guts to start an enjoyable conversation with strangers, it's what I aspire to be like.
Then find something enjoyable to talk about. Jesus Christ. Everybody enjoys conversation. You don't have to neg them or use body language tricks in order to pull it off. Maybe try just talking to dudes?

Originally posted by Emon:
But my problem is that it takes what are legitimate techniques for interacting with any person and reduces them into ways to objectify women as a game for getting laid.
[...]
You can spot failed PUAs at bars, where they seem very confused and, often offended, that a random group of women, who are just out having fun with their friends, don't want to talk to him and his wingman.
This is ****in' bull****, bro. I put my money in, pressed the right buttons, but my prize didn't fall out! This ****in' machine must be broken or something.

oh well, gotta gtl.

Guys. Hello. I didn't watch the videos and I'm not going to (not interested) but how many of you who are criticizing couchman have actually been on a grownup date?
durrrrrr mean internet people, u all r vergins hurr lol!

Quote:
Like 99% of the time the woman is not going to ask you out.
Yeah, except for the fact that you're wrong. Most women are pretty forward when they're interested in you. While yeah, social norms mean that the majority of women won't directly ask you out in plain English, it's obvious what they're interested in unless you're socially retarded.

Seriously though, what guy hasn't been asked out at least a couple of times?

Originally posted by Tenshu2.0:
The world is filled with genuinely unlikable, unattractive people who pretend to be polite and just don't understand why those ****ing moron sheep men/women keep falling for jerks instead of them. :mad: :gbk:
2012-08-01, 5:38 AM #36
Originally posted by Tenshu2.0:
You don't give two ****s about women's side of things, you give two ****s about your view of how women should respond when approached by a stranger.

Not really. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to, you know, talk to a woman about such things.
2012-08-01, 5:42 AM #37
Surprisingly many contestants for "worst thread ever" this year. Especially in the past few months, oddly enough.

Uh - wait for it - oh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-08-01, 5:43 AM #38

:(

-:(
2012-08-01, 5:52 AM #39
No, Detty. No. I'm sorry, but this is awful.

A goal of self-improvement is a truly wonderful thing. Becoming a better person doesn't just mean you'll be more attractive to others, it means you'll be able to offer other people something to enrich their lives. Great! And if you find some of the pep talks PUA people give helps you in your quest to overcome your mental illness, that's great too!

On the other hand, the only goal of PUA is to get your ego/dick stroked. The goal is the abuse of human psychology in order to get something you want that the other person would not normally want you to have. It's ****ing bull****. All of it. Their attitude isn't misogyny, it's misanthropy. If you seriously think PUA is okay as-is, you're literally a sociopath.

PUAs and their advice treat women like coin-op arcade prize machines, where all you have to do is insert money, press the right buttons, and sex will fall out. It's not about the person, it's about finding the right buttons.

Then find something enjoyable to talk about. Jesus Christ. Everybody enjoys conversation. You don't have to neg them or use body language tricks in order to pull it off. Maybe try just talking to dudes?

Perhaps my experiences of PUAs are limited to an unrepresentative online community then. The ones I witness actively disdain tricks, lines and routines and put a heavy emphasis on self-improvement (dressing well, being fit and healthy, developing self-esteem, reducing the extent to which a failed attempt to get along with someone has a negative impact on ego). They have little time for people who are only interested in showing off the number of notches on their bedposts. They offer hearty congratulations to anyone who meets someone they want to enter a long-term committed (and monogamous) relationship with. They don't believe every woman can be got into bed just by using a few cheat codes, they embrace failure and encourage you to just enjoy what events do unfold rather than trying to be singularly focused on getting laid. And yes, they even say to talk to dudes and just work on sorting your life out by getting friends and finding things you enjoy.

For some of us, conversation doesn't come naturally, nor does making friends. The body language involved in flirting that most people do so easily is almost completely alien to me. I need to learn this stuff, just as I've been getting in shape and taking up more hobbies. I have no desire to become a pickup artist, but if I see people with skills I wish to learn, I have every intention of taking note. I want to be a positive influence on the lives of everyone I come into contact with, I can't do that as an insecure shut-in with no ability to express myself in a face-to-face conversation.

So if I still sound to you like a misanthropic sociopath out to manipulate the world, please kindly **** off.
Flickr Twitter
2012-08-01, 5:53 AM #40

Unless you count a girl I knew when I was 9, I've never been asked out.
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!