Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Godfather
The Godfather
2012-08-01, 8:13 PM #1
I just watched the first Godfather film for the first time ever today. Am I wrong for thinking this is one of the most overrated movies ever made? Granted, it was an entertaining movie, but I definitely would not consider it among the top five movies of all time.

I didn't like any of the characters, making it extremely difficult to relate to any of them and thus really taking most of the steam out of the drama the movie so heavily relied on.

I understand that the movie raised the bar for mature, violent movies at the time, but when I hear people say that this movie is better than anything that's been made in the last 20 years, I just don't understand it.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-08-01, 10:06 PM #2
It gets better with repeat viewings, but you're pretty much correct as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't aged well at all. The pacing is really bizarre, too. I'm pretty sure most people only talk about how great it is because they think they're supposed to talk about how great it is.

Not only is it not the best movie ever made (like so many people say it is), it's not even the best gangster movie ever made. Goodfellas is.
>>untie shoes
2012-08-01, 10:12 PM #3
This sounds like a perfect topic for your website, Completely Overrated!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-08-01, 10:21 PM #4
I also wasn't impressed the first time I saw it... I've been meaning to watch it again, though. I've also never seen the sequels.
2012-08-01, 10:32 PM #5
I've never managed to see The Godfather, but I have seen Goodfellas. It'd have to be one hell of a movie to beat Goodfellas.
2012-08-01, 10:54 PM #6
Yes, you are wrong to think that.

Now that I'm done being sarcastic, you have no taste in film.
2012-08-02, 12:11 AM #7
I'm not really into the whole mob movie thing. I watched Goodfella's last year, and while I really enjoyed Joe Pesci in the movie, it just didn't resonate with me at all. Unfortunately I have one of those friends who insists I watch these movies because they are classics. He's also one of those people that believes no modern movie will ever be as good as anything put out during Hollywood's "Golden Age."
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-08-02, 12:43 AM #8
your friend is an idiot
2012-08-02, 1:28 AM #9
Saw the first two like 10 years ago, they were pretty well-made but I never got the urge to see them again (even though I got the DVD set at some point) or watch the third one. I used to think that Once Upon A Time In America was the greatest mob film I had seen, but in the past 7 years I've only listened to its gorgeous soundtrack so much that I don't really remember anything about the actual film anymore.

Anyway, the Godfather is an excellent source for pop-tastic impressions. A shame that mine sound pretty much like this

Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-08-02, 11:10 AM #10
I saw it for the first time last summer and have similar feelings towards it as OP. I thought the acting was great, as was the tone of the film. I have wanted to watch it again, and maybe see the sequel but for now it isn't that high on my agenda.

One mobster film I saw recently and thought was even more overrated was the Untouchables. Maybe it isn't my genera.
My blawgh.
2012-08-02, 8:04 PM #11
I prefer Godfather II honestly. The transitions between past and present can be a little jarring, but the storyline is much more interesting I find.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-08-02, 8:43 PM #12
I agree. Godfather Part II is better in virtually every way.
>>untie shoes
2012-08-03, 11:11 AM #13
I think it's a good movie... Not the "greatest of all time," but one of the greats, for sure.

The Untouchables on the other hand.. is an AMAZING movie. Goodfellas is alright.. Not as good as Godfather or The Untouchables.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-08-06, 2:59 PM #14
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eRsemHatx-o
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-08-06, 3:04 PM #15
Yeah I didn't like Untouchables either.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-08-06, 3:19 PM #16
Originally posted by Antony:
I agree. Godfather Part II is better in virtually every way.

This.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |

↑ Up to the top!