Thread: This thing

"Has it won yet?"

This thing

Anyone have a police force that employs this thing? They call it a "tactical platform."

Why
    Last edited by ECHOMAN; 08-14-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

I imagine it's so that they can quickly deploy it in places where things like peaceful demonstrations or parades are happening so that they have a good vantage point. I've never seen one that's actually in the form of a vehicle trailer before, but at Notting Hill Carnival they have police stationed in quickly constructed towers (only a few metres high).
    Detty. Professional Expert.
    Flickr Twitter

"Has it won yet?"

I imagine so. Curious how common these towers were in other places. This one in particular is like permanent resident since the OWS commotion at a park.

About to lose his freedom
    mobile sniper tower. yup.
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    They put them up in the parking lots of big retail places, malls, etc., around here sometimes, I'm assuming if there's a rash of theft from cars or whatever.

I saw one at Bourbon St, New Orleans on New Years Eve 2010. I'm guessing it's probably a near permanent fixture there.

Cool! Never seen anything like this... Sitting in one those isn't for people with fears of height I take it. Can't help but notice all the cameras, too.
    formerly [D6]Koobie
    the one and only

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Oh I should say also that very frequently there's no one in them, because "or is there" is effective enough.

The police like to pretend sometimes that they can prevent crime, rather than just showing up afterwards.

Seen them in big sprawling parking lots during busy shopping days. Also at stuff like outdoor concerts where you have a sprawling field and tons of people.

Prefered by 80% of Doctors
    We have so many CCTV cameras in the major cities in the UK that a platform like that is typically superfluous if it's just being used for spotting and co-ordination. We also have the FIT squad who use telephoto lenses to try and get photos of every one they can at a protest (nope, not intimidating or Stasi-like at all!).

Grandmaster of Cool
    It looks like a heavily pimped Popemobile.
    Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
    http://twitter.com/ourmatetone

I've never seen one before. My first thought was Half-Life 2.