Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Q&A With my New Muscles
Q&A With my New Muscles
2012-08-17, 10:43 PM #1
Hello buffly nerds! I know some of you guys are ripped so I have a couple workout questions. But first, my routine:

Day 1
15 mins elliptical
Benchpress 5x5
pullovers 4x5
Bicep curls 5x5
chin-ups 3x5
Roman Chair 3x10

Day 2
15 mins elliptical
Deadlift 5x5
Pull-ups 5x5
pushups 3x10
crunches 3x15
incline press 3x3

day 3
15 mins elliptical
Squats 5x5
Military Press 5x5
push-ups 3x10
crunches 3x15
chin-ups 3x5

I've been doing basically this routine for about I think three years and I've made some great personal improvements - I've been told that the squat, deadlift, and bench press are three of the main things you want to be doing in the gym and all three of those have increased dramatically for me. But I want to step things up. Lately I feel like it's getting harder and harder to gain weight...I seem to be stuck around 171 lbs (I'm 170cm tall). I don't take any supplements and my diet is somewhat unplanned, although I generally don't eat any obvious junk food (i.e. donuts/candy/pop etc.) and this summer I've been making a big effort to eat more protien. I've had a lot of barbecued burgers/hot dogs/chicken/fish/anything meat-related.

Are there any exercises you guys would suggest adding (or subtracting)? I don't have any specific goals beyond getting bigger/stronger and lifting more weight...not interested in training to be a runner or anything. My questions:

1. I want to add cleans to my routine, should I do this? What is a good day to do them on?

2. I currently hit the gym 3 or 4 days a week, is it safe to step it up to 5 or 6 days a week (and would this even have any benefits?)?

3. I do all the exercises with barbells or dumbells, I don't use any machines, but I'm starting to have safety concerns with some of the lifts. For example, when I do the pull-overs I'm basically lying on my back lifting a 90lb dumbell over my face...it's awkward to get into position and to maintain a good grip on the dumbell because it's so big. Is there a safer alternative? Should I use a machine here?

Any and all pointers would be appreciated.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-08-17, 10:58 PM #2
slaughter children, drink their blood, and eat babies
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-08-17, 11:09 PM #3
I'm not ripped, but comparing my workout routine to yours I seem to favor more cardio and higher reps (probably much less weight).

I try to do 18mi everyday cycling.

I'm in the gym 4 days a week, and I'll do something like:

30min Treadmill
5x20 Benchpress
5x20 Lat pulldown
5x20 Butterfly

I don't feel that I'm in an position to make recommendations to anyone, but I would be curious you or anyone else responding is taking anything supplement-wise. Right now I'm taking Amplified Creatine 189 on my workout days, only because it was given to me by a coworker. Not sure if I'll continue with that once it runs out.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-08-17, 11:14 PM #4
Yes, I should add that I try to lift as much as possible. My first set of 5 is basically a warm-up round and my last set is as much as I feel I can safely lift.

Quote:
slaughter children, drink their blood, and eat babies

Do you think they carry this at my local fitness store?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-08-17, 11:22 PM #5
fitness stores are for women and girly men

real men grab a sword and axe and go out to find children to slaughter
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-08-18, 4:07 AM #6
Your workout routine is sound.
>>untie shoes
2012-08-18, 4:52 AM #7
You should sign up at transformation.com.

Its a great source of info and a fun community.

For my part though, I'm in the process of burning fat, rather than getting ripped. My muscle workouts take a backseat to cardio. 5 cardio workouts a week, daily situps, with 3 days of muscle work outs. I still need to define my muscle work outs better, I've mostly been focusing on abs, chest, biceps, triceps, traps and back. I have no clue what each exercise is called in english, sadly. I'm going to need to hunt that info down.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-08-18, 4:55 AM #8
First saberopus' new computer and now this! Next time I better be able to dish out some questions for (in)animate objects!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-08-18, 7:30 AM #9
You could work in some power cleans and try some widowmaker squats (literally just sets of 20 squats). Are you doing weighted pull ups? Because I'm roughly the same height and weight as you, and for me sets of 5 pull ups is far too easy without adding 15kg on a belt.

15 minutes on the cross trainer sounds fairly pointless unless you're doing it with very high intensity, you could replace it with 15-20 minutes jump rope (it only takes a few sessions to reach the point where you can do 20 minutes).
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2012-08-18, 8:16 AM #10
Over the summer, I've been using a Smith machine. Anyone use these things? Maybe because I'm 6'3" or something but movement seems awkward as hell. Doesn't feel natural due to the fixed angle.

Did alot more cardio. Running and swimming.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-08-18, 8:32 AM #11
I don't like the smith machine because I like the challenge of balance that comes with using an unsupported barbell. You can generally lift a fair amount more with a smith machine than with free weights. I'm sure the machines have their place, but I'm not a fan.
Flickr Twitter
2012-08-18, 8:36 AM #12
Gym doesn't have free weights besides dumbbells. :(
2012-08-18, 12:45 PM #13
First: What are your goals? You said to gain weight, is that the primary one?

Either way:
-drop the crunches. They're not doing much for you.
-Are these weighted pullups? If not, and if they're not too hard, consider upping the reps or adding weight.
-Are you deadlifting your 5x5 max? Or are you keeping the weight lower? If you are, 5x5 deadlifts is WAY too much. 1x5 max weight with a few warm up rounds of lighter weight is pretty much all you want to do. Otherwise it wrecks your CNS.
-If you want to gain weight, the answer is simple. Eat more. Try GOMAD for a cycle (Gallon of Milk A Day. A gallon of whole milk is approximately $3, and is 2400 calories. This isn't a long term thing, but when you're on a gaining cycle this is unsurpassed. GOMAD is often tied to the Starting Strength program, which I highly HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend - even if you're not a beginner), or just eat a lot more. It's not about protein - it's about calories.
-Again, depends on your goals, but I'd drop the bicep curls and replace it with weighted pullups.
-What kind of schedule is this? Is this your weekly schedule (3 workouts a week)? If so, you're not going to see gains very fast by doing exercises once a week - especially on squats and deadlifts. Try simplifying the number of exercises you do and do them more often. Some people say this is boring, but I don't go to the gym to have fun. I go to the gym to work out and get stronger. And when you see progress, that is fun on its own.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2012-08-18, 2:44 PM #14
GOMAD is supposedly amazing from what I understand, especially if combined with a decent mass gainer supplement.

I've always done exercises once per week. Two at MAXIMUM. Anything else is overtraining, and you will plateau.
>>untie shoes
2012-08-18, 3:01 PM #15
Swimming, biking, and push-ups for me :D
2012-08-18, 5:34 PM #16
milk it does the body good
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2012-08-19, 7:34 PM #17
milk does do the trick for me, i wanna give that gamad thing a shot sometime...lol does it matter what kind, whole milk? vitamin d? 2%? 1%? Skim? Chocolate? Soy? Goat? Breast?
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2012-08-19, 7:40 PM #18
It's gotta be whole milk. Otherwise you don't get the calories and the protein. Some argue that it has too much fat, but **** that, you're working out. You can handle that.
>>untie shoes
2012-08-19, 10:46 PM #19
Just reading these is making me sweaty.

-I need to get in shape :(
2012-08-20, 6:06 AM #20
Just a thought Tracer, you're shorter than me and already heavier. I'm still in the weight loss part of my progress. My target weight is 75kg (165lbs), I don't really expect to have to put much weight back on as I build muscle, I'm going for lean rather than bulky.

Edit: There's a guy I work with who is about the same height as me and weighs less, and he's got great muscles. Girls are often saying positive things about his body.
Flickr Twitter
2012-08-20, 2:23 PM #21
I guess I should try GOMAD with Whole Milk (for month?), but something tells me I'll sick with milk after the third day. I'm 6'3" but I've stuck with 170 lbs over the whole summer, just wanna put more mass to get fit for water polo and lift heavier things. I love doing cardio like running/biking/swimming but it would be great if I got more practical muscles.

If going with GOMAD, does the milk consumption get easier after awhile? Originally I though 1% or 2% would be alright, but people seem have more success with whole. I'll probably burn the fat from cardio since I bike places in the city.
2012-08-20, 3:00 PM #22
At 6ft tall and about 140lbs, how underweight am I?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2012-08-21, 10:42 AM #23
Originally posted by Antony:
Your workout routine is sound.

You're talking to Jim, right?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-08-21, 8:54 PM #24
Tracer's muscles are so huge he can FLIP OVER WHATEVER HE WANTS!

WRAAAA!!!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

On a related tangent, it seems there's no more flipping guy tag to make things upside down.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-08-24, 12:59 PM #25
Originally posted by Commander 598:
At 6ft tall and about 140lbs, how underweight am I?

Your BMI is within normal parameters. I'm 6 ft. also & feel my best at around 145 lbs.
? :)
2012-08-24, 1:31 PM #26
(╯°□°)╯︵
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Tracer's muscles are so huge he can FLIP OVER WHATEVER HE WANTS!

WRAAAA!!!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

On a related tangent, it seems there's no more flipping guy tag to make things upside down.

FALSE. (-flipthis- for images, -fliptext- for everything else)
2012-08-24, 2:03 PM #27
Ah, misremembered the tag. Thanks!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-08-26, 11:10 AM #28
This thread needs pics.
2012-08-26, 6:22 PM #29
http://hahgay.com/
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-08-28, 3:08 PM #30
Originally posted by Detty:
Just a thought Tracer, you're shorter than me and already heavier. I'm still in the weight loss part of my progress. My target weight is 75kg (165lbs), I don't really expect to have to put much weight back on as I build muscle, I'm going for lean rather than bulky.

Edit: There's a guy I work with who is about the same height as me and weighs less, and he's got great muscles. Girls are often saying positive things about his body.

I'm not super concerned about the weight (I'm not going to start taking supplements and stuff) but I enjoy being better at my workout and lifting more etc. Also I'm 27 - I think I'm starting to get fat easier? For example I went camping for five days and was 170 lbs when I left. When I returned I was 175. Had a similar experience when I went on vacation last year, too.

Is there an upper limit to how much I should be lifting? Today for my final 1x5 squats I did 270lbs...the bar was starting to bend.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-08-28, 3:47 PM #31
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Swimming, biking, and push-ups for me :D
ditto, with the odd weekly footy game thrown in at work and some core body stuff when I'm not being a lazy ass at home.

I agree with the whole GOMAD thingy, just eat more and exercise, does the trick.

It's great having a "real" job now and eating what the hell I like (good food wise) and being able to exercise properly. Also helps that a bunch of old mates from my PhD/CERN time are still in contact and we are constantly trying to one-up each other on fitocracy. August has so far been the "Magnificent Moob Month"... 300 push ups today (sets of 30), just to hold the lead.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2012-08-29, 1:32 AM #32
Your face is a Q&A with new muscles.
2012-08-29, 8:06 AM #33
FGR, I'm curious. You have made three 'your face' jokes in a row. Are you posting under the influence of alcohol and/or various illegal drugs?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-08-29, 8:08 AM #34
Someone told me last month that I don't post as much as I used to so I decided to fix the situation for a short fleeting moment.

But I'm glad you noticed!

↑ Up to the top!