Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → An Update and Reminder for the JK Level Contest
An Update and Reminder for the JK Level Contest
2012-08-25, 1:32 PM #1
We are now almost a month away from the deadline for the competition. So far, I have received exactly zero submissions. I know many of you would probably wait until the wire, but I do want to make clear what will happen.

If I receive less than four adequate submissions (adequate meaning they are submissions worth playing, not some default box trying to take advantage of the situation), all money from this contest will go right to Massassi's annual Child's Play fund for the end of this year. I will offer those who donated into the contest the option to request a refund (minus any PayPal fees, if any) for one week. I will make a thread for that eventuality, if it comes about. Once that week is up, I will assume you do not mind having your donations moved to the Child's Play fund.

If I receive four or more submissions, the contest will proceed.

The reasoning behind this is so that the monetary rewards are not guaranteed simply for throwing something together, which I believe everyone will agree is against the spirit of the contest.

If I do receive any submissions, they will be posted of course. Those who do submit a valid level will receive a custom title and/or avatar regardless of the number of total submissions. It's not much, but better than nothing.
2012-08-25, 3:46 PM #2
oh, you'll be getting a decent submission from me. people just have life to deal with :downs:
2012-09-03, 10:48 AM #3
I hope he's lurking for his username, because PedHed really is partially to blame if this doesn't take off. I realize the showcase thread wasn't the contents of people's work, but it certainly would've discouraged me from participating. Sorry to bump this back up, but I was laying in bed last night thinking about how ****ty and self absorbed he was to ragequit when everyone was really coming together over the level contest.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-09-03, 4:26 PM #4
I'm still submitting a level :D Just depends how far i get as to whether its going to be the main level i was working on or the "backup".
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-09-03, 6:53 PM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I hope he's lurking for his username, because PedHed really is partially to blame if this doesn't take off. I realize the showcase thread wasn't the contents of people's work, but it certainly would've discouraged me from participating. Sorry to bump this back up, but I was laying in bed last night thinking about how ****ty and self absorbed he was to ragequit when everyone was really coming together over the level contest.

The moral of the story is to stay out of Massassi chat!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-04, 7:51 AM #6
Originally posted by Tracer:
The moral of the story is to stay out of Massassi chat!

Nah, pretty sure the moral is to ignore anything Antony says.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2012-09-04, 10:42 AM #7
JK is so damn frustrating to work with that everything has moved way slower than I'd have liked. Probably won't get anything in by the end of the month.

I don't suppose we could vote on an extension of the deadline?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-09-04, 11:05 AM #8
Originally posted by Emon:
JK is so damn frustrating to work with that everything has moved way slower than I'd have liked. Probably won't get anything in by the end of the month.

I don't suppose we could vote on an extension of the deadline?

No, the whole purpose of this deadline was to coincide with the 15 year anniversary of Jedi Knight's release (October 9th). Besides, it's been several months. I can't really justify it.
2012-09-04, 11:31 AM #9
Originally posted by JediKirby:

My motivation to work so far has basically been that other people are also coming together to do something similar.

Now, unless I know at least 3 other people are going to have submissions, there's no point on me continuing to work. I have other things to do.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-09-04, 8:46 PM #10
Originally posted by Emon:
Now, unless I know at least 3 other people are going to have submissions...

Hysteria should be complete some time in the year 2176... think CM will extend the deadline that far?
2012-09-04, 8:52 PM #11
you'll be dead before then gbk
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-04, 9:40 PM #12
The only reason I'm interested in this contest is for Tracer's CLASSIC and WACKY walkthrough/review/commentary videos he poests up on youchube. Yes!
2012-09-05, 9:45 AM #13
And... I don't know if I want to help start a debate on this, but:

I'm very interested in seeing some quality submissions as well, and like Emon, more than just two or three. I'd even support (for whatever it's worth) the idea of an extension, because it doesn't really matter and it doesn't seem like anyone would really care if the deadline lands on the anniversary or not. I think most people would certainly prefer 5 or more good levels than the alternative.

Interest in and updates on the projects seems to have waned a bit, but I know I'll bring some enthusiasm to the table if it would ensure that people finish something, given an extra month or two or whatever.
2012-09-05, 11:32 AM #14
All I know is Goit was talking a big game and now he's vanished. WHERE ARE YOU GOIT? WHAT HAPPENED?

Also yes please produce quality levels so I can cash in with the youtube monies.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-05, 11:44 AM #15
Goit was looking for voice actors a while ago after quite a long pause, so I think he's got something great-mungous in store for us.

It's always a shame that these contests start with fanfare and end up with a couple of entries that may or may not be the ones intended for release. I thought the 2009 entries were way ahead of the 2007 ones, though. The only situation where I would have participated was if the price pool had exceeded $1,300 (or whatever so that the winner would have got $1,000) - even though getting evicted sort of makes me eye the current stash - but even then I should have started the thing a long time ago.

I still hope that everyone who has planned a level will release one, even if it's not as grand or complex or mind-meld-breaking as first intended. I just want to play new JK SP levels, man.

I NEEDS THEM
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-09-05, 7:15 PM #16
Originally posted by Tracer:
you'll be dead before then gbk

I'm already dead. I only exist to complete Hysteria.
2012-09-05, 7:22 PM #17
Well hurry up and finish it so I can make a WACKY and CLASSIC youtube commentary. :argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-05, 9:09 PM #18
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I still hope that everyone who has planned a level will release one, even if it's not as grand or complex or mind-meld-breaking as first intended. I just want to play new JK SP levels, man.

I NEEDS THEM

This. I hope everyone is lurking :eek:
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2012-09-06, 6:34 PM #19
I will release *something* if someone will help me get JK to render more than a black screen with the HUD and crosshair when 3D acceleration is turned on. :(

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?56665-Jedi-Knight-issues&p=1162519&viewfull=1#post1162519
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-10, 12:56 PM #20
I have been trying to stay away from jkhub so I can be surprised with the releases, but iirc last time I was there, there were a few people working on stuff so I hope something comes out for the contest!
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2012-09-11, 6:27 AM #21
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Goit was looking for voice actors a while ago after quite a long pause, so I think he's got something great-mungous in store for us.

Unfortunately I worked for the BBC over August at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival (which if you have me on Facebook, you'd know), which was amazing, but also completely ruined any chance of releasing my level episode. I was tempted to release it in parts, but then decided against it - I feel I have a lot to live up to and don't want to release something half finished, because if people were negative towards it I wouldn't be bothered completing it.

I'm disappointed but I'm also pleased my career towards comedy production has taken a big leap forward. Sorry guys!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-09-11, 9:28 AM #22
That's a great shame. But on the other hand, congrats!
2012-09-11, 12:13 PM #23
poo :(
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-09-11, 3:56 PM #24
Every time I start, within an hour I've hit a stone wall of something not working. It's just not worth the headache.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-09-12, 1:44 AM #25
Wow. No Goit levels. I'm seriously bummed now :(
2012-09-12, 1:50 AM #26
with goit out of the way the prize monies are ripe for the taking!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-12, 2:09 AM #27
except I don't know if there will be enough entries to actually go through with it being a contest. :(
2012-09-12, 2:49 AM #28
It'd be nice to know who are actually planning to release something for the contest. Somehow I doubt it'll be 4 (maybe 3).

For a moment I actually thought of removing Anonymous from JKHub since no one on Massassi even knows it exists and releasing it for the contest (a bit more polished, though) but then I realized it was for MotS in the first place! Boh! FOILED AGAIN
2012-09-12, 2:50 AM #29
my level isn't going to have any fancy architecture or spectacular ****, i just want stormies, a basic storyline and guns and ****
2012-09-12, 11:40 AM #30
like i said, i will be entering a level. so that's at least 2 of us lol. and maybe Emon.
2012-09-12, 6:52 PM #31
Ill be entering one.
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City
2012-09-12, 7:05 PM #32
**** YES! Ogel is in!!!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-13, 9:47 AM #33
WooHoo! the contest still has a chance!
2012-09-22, 10:30 AM #34
You make videos of JK?
What is your channel?

:D
2012-09-26, 6:45 PM #35
Contest ends in a few days. Anybody submit anything yet?
2012-09-26, 7:39 PM #36
Originally posted by MrRavenX:
Contest ends in a few days. Anybody submit anything yet?

I haven't received anything.

Honestly, I don't really expect any submissions until right up to the deadline anyway. People love procrastination. :P
2012-09-26, 9:18 PM #37
Just finalization lol.
Be patient CM,
I'll be entering
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2012-09-26, 11:21 PM #38
Finalizing the end level cog and fixing the load screen title and description thingys ...

now just working on implementing the end level cog.
2012-09-27, 7:50 AM #39
Yay! We may have a contest after all.
2012-09-27, 8:44 AM #40
Originally posted by Zero_Raven:
Just finalization lol.
Be patient CM,
I'll be entering

lol indeeeeeeeeeed...

↑ Up to the top!