Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The coffee and tea thread.
The coffee and tea thread.
2012-09-03, 7:35 PM #1
A thread about coffee and tea.

Do you drink coffee and/or tea, and if so, how would you like it?

A cup of coffee a day for me, just so I can feel fruity when I exercise. Hazelnut with just whole milk, thanks.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-09-03, 7:49 PM #2
I drink a cup of hot tea almost every morning (green, black, or peppermint usually)...no sugar or anything like that. Sometimes I'll get a sweetened black iced tea from Starbucks or have a cup of chamomile at night with a touch of honey. I also love the Yogi detox tea for when I feel a cold coming on.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2012-09-03, 8:10 PM #3
I really like the smell of coffee, and I only like drinking frappachinos. Anything else is too "coffee" tasting for me, which I don't like.

I much prefer drinking tea. These days, I normally drink green tea. Right now, I'm drinking a sort of iced tea 'blend' of green, chamomile, and this other 'calming' blend (Yogi, since roxi mentioned it) of its own, using honey as a sweetener. I'm no tea connoisseur, I just go with whatever I have that I think works.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-09-03, 8:15 PM #4
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/ristretto-aeropress/

Make my coffee in one of these, using the inverted method shown in the article. Because science.

o.0
2012-09-03, 8:24 PM #5
^^High-five inverted Aeropress buddy!

I also use a clever coffee dripper, depends on my mood and time in the mornings.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-09-03, 9:07 PM #6
(Probably unsurprisingly) I drink tea every day. Usually it's just about four cups of Lipton at work, but I've also got about 20 tins of loose leaf from Adagio (black, green, white, oolong samplers) and probably almost a dozen other varieties in sachets. In my opinion, a nearly-scalding cup of chamomile with a bit of honey is about the purest and most perfect thing in the universe some days. Though Lapsang Souchong is lovely beyond reason as well-- it's like drinking a campfire.

I occasionally drink coffee, usually just in a French press. My coffee is from Costa Rica. Smuggled out by missionaries. True story.

If I'm at a coffee shop though, absolutely nothing beats a well-made whole milk Earl Grey cambric. *gurgle*

</snob>
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-09-03, 10:43 PM #7
Earl Grey, cream and raw sugar.
2012-09-04, 2:22 AM #8
cream... in tea????? *balk*

English breakfast with milk. Been experimenting with non-cow milks to try to find a worthy substitute, but none are quite right in tea. Rice milk is ok, but it's a bit too sweet and leaves an oily look. Soya milk in tea tastes like grit. All kinds of wrong.

I very rarely drink coffee, so when I really feel like I need the caffeine, it's very effective.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2012-09-04, 3:41 AM #9
I pound coffee all day. French Roast. Black. Generally Starbuck's is the brand of coffee grounds I go with. I feel like a dirtbag supporting a megacorporation when there are smaller coffee manufacturers out there that are allegedly better, but when someone shows me a French Roast that is better than the one Starbuck's makes, I'll switch to it gladly.
>>untie shoes
2012-09-04, 6:19 AM #10
Originally posted by maevie:

English breakfast with milk. Been experimenting with non-cow milks to try to find a worthy substitute, but none are quite right in tea. Rice milk is ok, but it's a bit too sweet and leaves an oily look. Soya milk in tea tastes like grit. All kinds of wrong.

I very rarely drink coffee, so when I really feel like I need the caffeine, it's very effective.

I discovered a while ago that when they say cream they actually mean cream. Bleck.

Tea, milk, 1 sugar. Coffeewise I use a moka pot.
nope.
2012-09-04, 9:01 AM #11
Originally posted by Antony:
I pound coffee all day. French Roast. Black. Generally Starbuck's is the brand of coffee grounds I go with. I feel like a dirtbag supporting a megacorporation when there are smaller coffee manufacturers out there that are allegedly better, but when someone shows me a French Roast that is better than the one Starbuck's makes, I'll switch to it gladly.

Starbucks roasts the **** out of their coffee, especially the french roast, it's seriously burned. Find pretty much any local roaster and get your socks blown off. Bonus points of they serve coffee too, have them make you a pour over and never go back to Starbucks again.
2012-09-04, 9:04 AM #12
I dont actually go to starbucks. I buy it grounds at the grocery store. we have no local coffee shops around here.
>>untie shoes
2012-09-04, 9:05 AM #13
Oh, I didn't know they sold grounds in stores now, haven't been to a grocery store coffee aisle in ages I guess.
2012-09-04, 9:22 AM #14
Yeah, it's just about the best coffee you can get around here, and honestly, I love the taste of it. It helps that it's loaded with caffeine too.
>>untie shoes
2012-09-04, 9:24 AM #15
I'll grind your beans.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-09-04, 10:01 AM #16
Caffeine generally causes me unpleasant problems, so I avoid it. I envy those who can avoid dozing off at work just by making a drink. I don't really like the taste of coffee by itself, my tolerance for bitter flavours is very low, but add some milk and sugar and I'm happy.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2012-09-04, 11:03 AM #17
I'm curious about this Aeropress thing now. Is it any good? It's quite easy to burn coffee with my Moka.
nope.
2012-09-04, 12:18 PM #18
I usually drink coffee only once a week. Sundays, the only day i really have time for it. I use a Kona blend that is quite delicious, made in a grind and drip coffeemaker. I take it black with sugar(just enough to take the edge off) or if i'm feeling too lazy to stir my coffee with a vanilla creamer.

Tea, i drink an earl grey on occasion or bigelow's plantation mint, especially if i have a cold/sore throat.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-09-04, 2:40 PM #19
Originally posted by maevie:

yep. the heavier the better.
2012-09-04, 3:33 PM #20
I generally prefer Chinese teas, unsweetened and unmilked. Especially white teas, yellow teas, and pu erh. There are a few oolong varieties that I like quite a bit, as well!
I'm just a little boy.
2012-09-04, 4:14 PM #21
Originally posted by Jon`C:
yep. the heavier the better.

Why not just use condensed milk?
nope.
2012-09-04, 5:17 PM #22
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Why not just use condensed milk?

Because cream has a higher fat content compared to milk solids and sugars. Lipids are a good vehicle for flavor and dairy fat in particular adds a richness, so you can get the benefits of milk without watering down your tea or making it taste like milk. If I wanted my tea to taste like milk I'd drink a london fog.
2012-09-04, 5:39 PM #23
I think Jon`C just went all science up in this *****.
>>untie shoes
2012-09-04, 8:43 PM #24
I've been completely caffeine-free since 2009. I've never been happier.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2012-09-05, 5:50 AM #25
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Because cream has a higher fat content compared to milk solids and sugars. Lipids are a good vehicle for flavor and dairy fat in particular adds a richness, so you can get the benefits of milk without watering down your tea or making it taste like milk. If I wanted my tea to taste like milk I'd drink a london fog.

...I was being facetious.

Anyway, I have no idea why the hell you'd want added richness to tea, it's not coffee. :/
nope.
2012-09-05, 2:23 PM #26
Coffee, black. About a pot a day.
2012-09-06, 2:16 AM #27
Add ice, add coffee, sip or pound. I drink coffee for controlled doses of caffeine, not for taste. Health benefits are an added plus. Probably only drinking about one or two cups a day though.
2012-09-06, 4:00 AM #28
Mostly drink instant coffee during the day at work. Less frequent at work is a cup of tea. When I get home from work I'll usually make a flat white/latte (depends where you are in the world what it's called I guess). Maybe some more tea between dinner and sleep. Generally the tea is just your average English Breakfast. Now and then a Rooibos or Chai variant.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"

↑ Up to the top!