Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Trouble watching Netflix in HD
Trouble watching Netflix in HD
2012-09-04, 6:58 PM #1
I have
fairly fast internet. I can stream 1080p videos from youtube all day long, with no trouble. However, when I try to watch a tv show or movie on Netflix in HD, the video lags, and the audio gets several seconds out of sync within a few seconds.

It continues to occasionally lock up (video wise) and remain out of sync. The only way to avoid this it to prevent Netflix from playing HD. If I play in standard definition, it works with 0 problems.

Anyone have similar experiences or suggestions to fix this?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-09-04, 7:06 PM #2
Sounds like AT&T is throttling Netflix.

Sorry for your lots.
2012-09-04, 7:37 PM #3
Yeaup, sounds like you are being throttled or there is something on your system that is just eating up bandwidth.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2012-09-04, 8:23 PM #4
I assume this happens regardless of what computer you use? And if you have something like an xbox 360, it doesn't work there as well? If so, see the answers above.
2012-09-05, 4:29 AM #5
Oh, didn't even think about that, CM. I'll try on other devices and report back.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-09-05, 5:04 AM #6
Oddly, it appears to stream HD just fine on my laptop. Could it be that my desktop processor isn't fast enough? (it's an old dual core AMD Opteron 1.81Ghz, compared to my laptop which is an Intel i7)

2012-09-05, 5:43 AM #7
Check your CPU usage when trying to play HD on that computer then. Keep in mind it might not take advantage of both cores, so a CPU usage of 50% probably indicates it is maxing your CPU's core. It might also be a failure with the hardware acceleration, or video card drivers.
2012-09-05, 5:48 AM #8
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Check your CPU usage when trying to play HD on that computer then. Keep in mind it might not take advantage of both cores, so a CPU usage of 50% probably indicates it is maxing your CPU's core. It might also be a failure with the hardware acceleration, or video card drivers.

Does Netflix use GPU acceleration yet? I know for a while Silverlight just put it all on the CPU, so most of AMD's lowend Fusion stuff couldnt handle HD.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-09-05, 6:13 AM #9
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Does Netflix use GPU acceleration yet? I know for a while Silverlight just put it all on the CPU, so most of AMD's lowend Fusion stuff couldnt handle HD.

It seems to use some level of hardware acceleration, although I'm not sure how much.
2012-09-06, 2:03 AM #10
All in on "his computer is ****ing slow"
2012-09-06, 9:20 PM #11
slow computer :( !
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free

↑ Up to the top!