Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → monsters
monsters
2012-10-03, 10:28 AM #1
What monsters and situations (still) illogically scare you?

To clarify, I don't want to see any rational, adult fears like a burglar or losing your home or Mitt Romney elected the like. I want to see answers fitting of Halloween, such as zombies or killer clowns or such. Alternatively, you can simply post pictures and such of Halloween-appropriate monsters and other related tangents.

For me, I still get jumpy around some basements with no lights and similar environments. As for monsters, right now it's probably anything bug-like, and that's likely stemming from my jumpiness of bugs in general, particularly if they fly or look like they can move quickly.

For Halloween, as I am a tall and slender guy, I'm hoping to dress up as Slenderman.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-10-03, 10:34 AM #2
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w

spooky scary skeletons
2012-10-03, 10:44 AM #3
There was an episode of "Are you afraid of the dark" where a "haunted" camera would take photos of people. The photo that came out would depict them dying somehow in the photo, which would later come true. The camera was indestructible, so they finally decided to have it take a photo of itself in a mirror, but that resulted in a video camera behind it becoming haunted instead. The show ended with a computer getting haunted in a similar manner.

For some reason that **** really scared me as a kid (despite almost everything else being laughably easy to get over), and it still gets to me in nightmares today. I don't even believe in that crap, but of course when you're dreaming, that doesn't really factor in.
2012-10-03, 10:53 AM #4
Originally posted by Gebohq:
particularly if they fly or look like they can move quickly .

Any insect that can dart. **** that.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-10-03, 11:14 AM #5
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
There was an episode of "Are you afraid of the dark" where a "haunted" camera would take photos of people. The photo that came out would depict them dying somehow in the photo, which would later come true. The camera was indestructible, so they finally decided to have it take a photo of itself in a mirror, but that resulted in a video camera behind it becoming haunted instead. The show ended with a computer getting haunted in a similar manner.

For some reason that **** really scared me as a kid (despite almost everything else being laughably easy to get over), and it still gets to me in nightmares today. I don't even believe in that crap, but of course when you're dreaming, that doesn't really factor in.

Isn't that just the plot of Say Cheese and Die?

The dark makes me nervous.
nope.
2012-10-03, 11:53 AM #6
for some reason walking up a flight of stair when there is a light on upstairs, but downstairs is completely dark. That is terrifying. It's weird though, the dark isn't scary to me unless there is at least a little spot of light. Because then there is a chance you will actually see the beasties skittering around.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-10-03, 12:14 PM #7
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Isn't that just the plot of Say Cheese and Die?

Sorta, yeah. Although apparently both were based on a Twilight Zone episode.
2012-10-03, 2:25 PM #8
Not really afraid of "monsters"... probably the closest thing is slightly open closet doors in my bedroom kind of unnerve me if I start thinking about it.

I love testing the creepy mirror urban myths out with people (i.e. closing the bathroom door, turning off the lights, saying bloody mary or candyman or whatever). Stupid but you'd be surprised how many people want out after the second/third bloody mary/candyman.
2012-10-03, 5:03 PM #9
"Are You Afraid of the Dark" had people dying? I haven't seen that series in almost 2 decades.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-10-03, 5:14 PM #10
the only monster i fear is the GEBOHQ MONSTER
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-10-03, 5:50 PM #11
infrasound.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-10-03, 6:28 PM #12
Cockroaches. Not giant cockroaches or anything, just regular cockroaches, which are monsters.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-10-03, 6:40 PM #13
Originally posted by Tracer:
the only monster i fear is the GEBOHQ MONSTER

I stalk about, finding victims to force into posting on the Interactive Story Board.

wraaaa.
2012-10-03, 6:55 PM #14
The sludge from Creepshow II... I couldn't swim in a pond for a few years after that one.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2012-10-03, 11:13 PM #15
There was a monster in a Stephen King short story that took the form of an oil slick in the middle of a lake. Some kids swim out to a floating dock on the lake in the evening, and the oil slick slowly moves over to them. If you look into it, it has swirling colors similar to a gasoline spill. What it does is slowly suck you into it if you touch it with even just a hair. The scary part of it was that it gained strength with each person it took, and it was powerful enough to suck them through the cracks of the wood on the dock, but not fast. It started with your feet, disintegrating your bones as you were slowly crushed from the toes up. It grabbed one girl by a single strand of hair and she still couldn't escape.

Oil and gasoline puddles freak me out now, man.
DO NOT WANT.
2012-10-04, 12:50 AM #16
:O that is turrible!!!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-10-04, 12:56 AM #17
L’appel du vide.
? :)
2012-10-04, 2:36 AM #18
I've run into my fair share of motels that, while not specifically unsettling during the day, turn into a pit of heeby-jeebies at night if you wander into the right area. Sure, that porch light could have a bad ballast. OR GHOSTS.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-10-04, 2:42 AM #19
I don't like going into the bathroom in the dark. I was pretty petrified of the toilet (and anything relating to plumbing, sewers or dark gaps in general) after watching IT when I was far too young. I'm over the worst of the irrationality, but I'll still usually take the time to find the light switch, even if there's enough moonlight or whatever to see by.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2012-10-04, 10:33 AM #20
UVB-76 AKA "The Buzzer"

50% utterly creepy, 50% illogically fascinating. Hence I made two ambient musical musings based on it, there are samples of it in TODOA and it's more heavily featured in DXN (still blink-or-miss, though).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-10-04, 3:01 PM #21
For a very long time I was afraid to see my reflection do something without me moving. I saw that happen to me in a dream (I would hope) when I was 8 or something, and it petrified me.
幻術
2012-10-04, 3:28 PM #22
Originally posted by maevie:
I'll still usually take the time to find the light switch, even if there's enough moonlight or whatever to see by.

If you turn the light on then I can't steal your poop .(
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-10-04, 3:32 PM #23
You could watch some cool "disturbing" CGI art instead, a much cleaner endeavor.
幻術
2012-10-04, 6:47 PM #24
Yeah, Zell, that was adapted to Creepshow II. It was called "The Raft". The main difference between the two was the ending. Other than that, it's spot on.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2012-10-04, 9:40 PM #25
Put your paws up!

2012-10-04, 10:16 PM #26
Is that a lady Gaga reference?

...I mean, NOTHING!!!
2012-10-05, 5:02 PM #27
Theres this story from one of those kids scary story books, i dont remember which one, tried to find it the other day and couldnt. It was about these friends who went swimming at this watering hole and one of them almost drowned because their foot got caught on something, but the friends saved them. Later the kid took a shower, and the water came alive and like choked him out. Whenever i think about it showers creep me out for a while. dont think about it often though.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-10-05, 5:09 PM #28
I can't stand sleeping in a room with an open wardrobe/closet/cupboard/etc. If it has a door that doesn't close properly I'd lean something against it.
I don't know if I'm actually fearing something coming out or dwelling within, I just feel creeped
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-10-05, 6:17 PM #29
OH! also the illustrations from the "scary stories to tell in the dark" books still creep me the heck out!
2012-10-05, 7:16 PM #30
yeah, it was the illustration from that story that got to me i think. it was along a similar vein as those books.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-10-05, 11:59 PM #31
There's also mannequins at night.
If I go past a clothes shop at night there's always a teeny part of me that thinks they're going to all start moving around and killing people for no particular reason
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-10-07, 5:21 AM #32
When I first got into the scene, Slenderman was like #1 terror for me. But I've grown desensitized to it.

-One thing that gets me is people with their eyes closed. Pictures in particular. It's just a tension thing, I think.
2012-10-07, 12:01 PM #33
I've never really found the Slenderman thing to be creepy.

Slender is creepy as all **** though.
nope.
2012-10-08, 1:16 PM #34
Black Widow spiders. Other spiders bug me while I can see them, especially larger ones, but Black Widows get in my head. I MUST kill it. If it gets away under a crack in the house or something I'm gonna be freaked out all night. Luckily I dont live in the area of them anymore so thats all good.

The Gargantua from Half-Life/Black Mesa Source I have found still gets my heart pounding when I am running down that long tunnel to go switch on the power.

I feared alien abduction for at least a few nights after seing "Signs".

Nowadays, if I have to take the trash to the road at night for pickup, in the darkness I'm a bit freaked out that coyotes or raccoons are going to come after me while I cant see too well. Not so worried about dying as I am contracting rabies with that one though.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-10-08, 1:58 PM #35
Originally posted by Jarl:
When I first got into the scene, Slenderman was like #1 terror for me. But I've grown desensitized to it.

-One thing that gets me is people with their eyes closed. Pictures in particular. It's just a tension thing, I think.

I've never really understood this. What was scary about it? Looking at pictures and reading stuff? I just can't imagine, knowing that it's a big internet copypasta social event thing, being able to lose myself in any 'story' (or however the thing is presented) enough to actually get scared.
2012-10-11, 12:02 PM #36
I'm debating whether I should post my costume picture early here, or some other thread...
2012-10-11, 8:27 PM #37
Oh what the heck.

:D
2012-10-11, 9:18 PM #38
After I saw the Doctor Who episode "Blink" statues freaked me out for a while.
Cyclops was right
2012-10-11, 10:21 PM #39
Geb that is not okay
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-10-12, 11:13 AM #40
[http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8lq7pKUKj1rvmmmwo1_400.gif]

As for me, my fear has always been looking out the window and then having someone standing outside my window, already looking back at me. And yeah, dark basements.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |

↑ Up to the top!