Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The first U.S. Presidential Debate
The first U.S. Presidential Debate
2012-10-03, 7:49 PM #1
So who else here thinks Obama basically bombed this one? I was looking forward to him actually stepping up and running Romney into the ground, but he seemed to be completely lacking on specifics and repeating himself constantly.

I wasn't happy with Romney either, especially keeping military spending. But just the way Obama handled it seemed really poor. Damn, how much I wish there was a moderate candidate.
2012-10-03, 7:54 PM #2
I doubt it changed anything. Anyone who gave a **** can be found currently circlejerking over who was better/worse in the exact same position they were in before the debate. Everyone else was watching a new episode of South Park (James Cameron 2012!)...or just something/anything else.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2012-10-03, 8:46 PM #3
"Debate".
2012-10-03, 8:51 PM #4
Leave Big Bird alone. :(
2012-10-03, 9:00 PM #5
Yeaup, Obama got assraped here. Rambling over and over. Just poor arguments, and not anywhere near aggressive enough. Romney was way better at defending the claims of him not having any plan (which were true) than Obama did defending his well-document and freely available plans.

Originally posted by Commander 598:
I doubt it changed anything. Anyone who gave a **** can be found currently circlejerking over who was better/worse in the exact same position they were in before the debate. Everyone else was watching a new episode of South Park (James Cameron 2012!)...or just something/anything else.

[/FONT]His name is Jaaaaames Cameron
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2012-10-03, 9:41 PM #6
It seems like the consensus is that Obama just didn't perform tonight. Even some of the big Obama supporters at MSNBC laid into him in their post-debate commentaries:
http://ed.msnbc.com/_news/2012/10/03/14209425-ed-absolutely-stunned-by-president-obamas-debate-performance?lite
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/03/chris-matthews-obama-debate_n_1937950.html?utm_hp_ref=media
2012-10-03, 9:50 PM #7
As a reluctant Obama supporter, I think he did poor tonight. Romney transformed into a moderate and Obama didn't know how to handle that. I think he will look stronger in the next two debates.

But what do I now I'm drunk fgoodbye.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-10-04, 12:37 AM #8
I am honestly not surprised at the outcome. Romney is FAR more moderate than most people are willing to admit. Anyone who is honest will remember that Romney was NOT the first choice for most conservatives because he was too centrist. Really the two candidates agree on something like 60-70% of the issues. Romney is not the conservative devil everyone wishes he was. And i may or may not be hammered.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-10-04, 12:40 AM #9
I mean seriously it's ****ing suckling off of different teats of the same god damned sow. I am DONE!!!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-10-04, 12:48 AM #10
I think that most people, even Republicans, realize that he's not truly a Conservative--they merely had to choose the only candidate from the bunch that had a shot. However, if there's any confusion at all as to where he stands on particular issues, it's mostly because he's changed his mind on several of them & Conservatives aren't accustomed to this phenomenon (the fundamentalist mind likes for everything to stay the way it WAS or at least the way it IS--any form of progressive thinking isn't usually welcome--thus is why their economic & moral philosophies are so prehistoric).

I do agree with you (Alran) on them agreeing on many of the issues though (too many for my taste)--at least publicly.

I'm downloading the debate now--it didn't air in France until 3AM & I was out cold long before then.
? :)
2012-10-04, 1:12 AM #11
romney's only chance of winning is if he comes across moderate and obama screws up, so i guess things are looking up for him..
2012-10-04, 11:18 AM #12
http://www.theonion.com/articles/mitt-romney-adopts-new-ronnie-ferocious-persona-fo,29789/

I wish it were true.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-10-04, 11:34 AM #13
From a foreigner's perspective, what's the internet's problem with Romney? I can't say I know much about him, but at least he doesn't seem bat**** insane for once.
nope.
2012-10-04, 1:07 PM #14
Originally posted by Baconfish:
From a foreigner's perspective, what's the internet's problem with Romney? I can't say I know much about him, but at least he doesn't seem bat**** insane for once.

He is not Obama. That's pretty much the gist of it. everyone wants their guy to win so they have to demonize the other candidate. Romney does come off as a little bit of a "rich kid" but that aside, he is quite moderate. don't get me wrong, I still don't care for the guy, but yeah... The whole "Romney wants to eat your children and kill puppies!!!" attitude is really unwarranted.
2012-10-04, 1:20 PM #15

It's the fact that he has yet to concretely detail any of what he is saying. For instance, re: Tax Cuts. He says that he can cut taxes for everyone, add 2 trillion in additional military spending, but still pay for it by "closing tax loopholes, deductions, etc". When pressed about what tax loopholes and deductions (many of which also help middle-income people, especially those with mortgages), they refuse to say. If you add up the top 20 deductions and closed them, it still wouldn't come even CLOSE to matching the tax cuts he proposes. His whole argument basically hinges on the economy growing at an absurd rate. That's not a plan, that's just a prediction. And there are no studies that claim the opposite. He said last night that "6 studies" have come out in support of his plan, but half of them were from pro-romney blogs, and only one of the remaining 3 actually said that his budget was revenue neutral ONLY IF THERE WAS ABSURD ECONOMIC GROWTH.

He actually appeared quite likeable last night, but again, he refuses to give facts. That's why the internet hates him. Plus the whole 47% thing, because it's not like there was any good context surrounding that video. Personally, I didn't find anything he said in the 47% video that atrocious, but what was infuriating to me was the number itself. Are there people that sit around and depend on government, and probably waste our tax money? Sure. But it sure as hell ain't 47%, and all studies have shown that things like welfare fraud are laughably inconsequential.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2012-10-04, 5:41 PM #16
From the perspective of a foreigner who is affected by the policies of the United States government:

Obama's interest in using an expansionary fiscal policy to dampen the contractionary phase is a lot more rational than Romney's strategy of a contractionary fiscal policy and then *bampf* magic happens. There's a huge difference between making a lot of money and being a successful businessman, and the simple reality is that Mitt Romney has no credible experience in the real market of goods and services. Both men have demonstrated that they are ultimately beholden to financial lobbyists (e.g. individual mandates on health insurance), which is unfortunate, but I think Obama at least understands that the real market is a thing which exists and that's a lot more than anybody can say about Romney.
2012-10-05, 8:32 PM #17
LOL @ Republicans: http://www.bju.edu/academics/majors/biology/

Also, this:
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og35U0d6WKY
2012-10-06, 3:24 PM #18

Mormon. Automatically crazy.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-10-06, 3:59 PM #19
Originally posted by Ford:
Mormon. Automatically crazy.

congrats, you just marginalized the opinions of everybody who is opposed to the republican party.
2012-10-06, 7:09 PM #20
I like it when people who believe other retarded **** call Mormons crazy.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!