Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Disney buying Lucasfilm; Episode 7 on the way
Disney buying Lucasfilm; Episode 7 on the way
2012-10-30, 1:15 PM #1
I'm still not sure this is real:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=69442
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-10-30, 1:16 PM #2
It's very well-written for a fake, but I guess there should be other sources first.

But if it turns out to be fully real and actually happening: ... wow.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-10-30, 1:18 PM #3
This is as real as it gets.

Quote:
Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd
2012-10-30, 1:21 PM #4
... wow.

I've got to admit, I for one had no idea this was coming. Made me feel a weird feeling of simultaneous "yay!" and "oh no!" (just like Disney's acquisition of Marvel, actually). But I think they should just forget Episode 7 and rename the OT as "TODOA sequels" instead. Right? Right!? RIIIIIGHT!?!?

At any rate, I have no idea about the value of money these days but 4 billion for the entire Star Wars franchise (and other Lucasfilm stuff, of course)?
2012-10-30, 1:44 PM #5
I'm just trying to figure out if Episode 7 is essentially going to be like Heir to the Empire, if they're going to still focus on Skywalker characters, or if they're going to jump the timeline and/or characters. I have a hard time imagining someone else acting as Luke, Leia, and Han, in any case.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-10-30, 1:52 PM #6
it's going to be animated... with the characters occasionally breaking out into a song
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-10-30, 1:59 PM #7
this is going to blow horribly
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2012-10-30, 2:00 PM #8
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
it's going to be animated... with the characters occasionally breaking out into a song

Because that totally happened in all in The Avengers movies.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-10-30, 2:07 PM #9
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Because that totally happened in all in The Avengers movies.

i never said it would with the avengers movies...
2012-10-30, 2:17 PM #10
Saw this on Joystiq 2 minutes after it was posted. In all honesty, kinda made me happy.
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2012-10-30, 2:45 PM #11
I sense a disturbance in the force.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-10-30, 2:52 PM #12
Wkuk style lmao "SW 7!!!" coming out 2015 supposedly. Disney plans on releasing a new Star Wars movie every couple of years from now on.....

If u don't get the wkuk reference whatch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95Q3kSl94c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

George threw in the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise as well. Presumably to sweeten the deal. So I'm sure it'll be a matter of time*before we get a Shia laBeouf exclusive indie movie. I rue the day.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2012-10-30, 3:01 PM #13
So I heard that the new series will follow Zorba The Hutt....
2012-10-30, 3:12 PM #14
2012-10-30, 3:35 PM #15
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I'm just trying to figure out if Episode 7 is essentially going to be like Heir to the Empire, if they're going to still focus on Skywalker characters, or if they're going to jump the timeline and/or characters. I have a hard time imagining someone else acting as Luke, Leia, and Han, in any case.

If they ignore the EU (or at least don't incorporate the Thrawn Trilogy) I will nerd rage like I haven't raged since high school.
2012-10-30, 4:10 PM #16
This actually got me really excited, until I saw the bit about George Lucas serving as creative consultant. :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-10-30, 4:38 PM #17
Joss Whedon director. Go.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-10-30, 4:42 PM #18
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Joss Whedon director. Go.

Like I said,

17:33 < DSettahr> a lot of redditors are calling for Joss Whedon
17:34 < mb> who's already doing avengers 2
17:34 < mb> and I dont know that joss is the right one for star wars
17:34 < Jon`C> joss whedon would be the perfect director for a vector prime adaptation
17:34 < Jon`C> because there's a main character he can kill off
2012-10-30, 5:46 PM #19
I think the movies are going to ignore the EU, since some of the articles I've seen state that Lucas is the one who put together the stories for 7/8/9, and he's been pretty vocal in the past how the EU isn't "his" universe, so they don't count.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2012-10-30, 5:52 PM #20
Concept art for the next trilogy:

http://silvaniart.tumblr.com/post/34656702245
2012-10-30, 5:58 PM #21
oh boy new star wars

it's like 1998 all over again!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-10-30, 6:16 PM #22
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Concept art for the next trilogy:

http://silvaniart.tumblr.com/post/34656702245

That is some good ****.
2012-10-30, 7:13 PM #23
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Like I said,

17:33 < DSettahr> a lot of redditors are calling for Joss Whedon
17:34 < mb> who's already doing avengers 2
17:34 < mb> and I dont know that joss is the right one for star wars
17:34 < Jon`C> joss whedon would be the perfect director for a vector prime adaptation
17:34 < Jon`C> because there's a main character he can kill off

Look, it could be M. Night Shyamalan, and it would still be amazing in comparison to the prequels.
[h=3][/h]
2012-10-30, 7:50 PM #24
What if the story picks up right after the events of ROTJ and the Ewoks that the Rebels were celebrating with gave everyone some ridiculously strong Ewok ale, knocking everyone unconscious and it turns out that Episodes I, II and III were all a dream in Luke's head.

Best intro ever.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2012-10-30, 9:06 PM #25
This is good news.
>>untie shoes
2012-10-30, 9:08 PM #26
^I agree. I honestly never thought the day would come when Lucas would relinquish control of Star Wars. Maybe Disney Star Wars will actually be good.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-10-30, 10:40 PM #27
The sale seems to have included LucasArts, so I suppose we may see a Jedi Knight game where Kyle fights alongside Mickey Mouse. Kind of like Kingdom Hearts, maybe?
2012-10-30, 10:43 PM #28
Read and weep:

Quote:
[FONT=Open Sans]The original release notes that all LucasArts employees will remain on staff, but Disney executives did reference plans to focus on social and mobile [/FONT][FONT=Open Sans]Star Wars[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans] games as opposed to high-end console releases.[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans]
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasarts-alongside-lucasfilm/#KiPXkfxkglljblHr.99
[/FONT]
2012-10-30, 11:59 PM #29
This takes me back to the whole Marvel thing. But honestly, it feels like since Disney bought marvel the movies have been much better. Hell, Avengers rocked. They should do Episode 7 as a reboot, cover the Thrawn trilogy and while they are at it just get the cast from Avengers!
Robert Downey, Jr. - Han Solo
Chris Evans -Luke Skywalker
Mark Ruffalo - Chewbacca
Chris Hemsworth - C3PO?
Scarlett Johansson - Mara Jade
Jeremy Renner - Talon Karrde
Tom Hiddleston - Thrawn
Clark Gregg - Gilad Pellaeon
Cobie Smulders - Princess Leia
Samuel L. Jackson - Lando
My blawgh.
2012-10-31, 1:17 AM #30
I honestly don't know how to feel about this. I think the thing that surprises me the most is that Lucas ACTUALLY relinquished control of the franchise... I think I find the inclusion of LucasArts in the sale the more perturbing thing. I am really curious to see what they are going to do for the feature films. I really wouldn't discount EU stuff being in any future movies, There is a good amount of EU miscellanea in the 'Clone Wars' T.V. series. case in point, for better or worse, the whole bringing Maul back was directly from a "what if" comic book.

I think i am kind of hopeful about this. disney seems to be capable of putting out some really great stuff. Just not looking forward to the future of star wars gaming.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-10-31, 1:58 AM #31
Now Massassi really needs a new name. Disney are real ********s when it comes to "their" franchises.
Sorry for the lousy German
2012-10-31, 2:04 AM #32
[https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561824_371621059588041_578812155_n.jpg]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=371621059588041
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2012-10-31, 3:14 AM #33
Oh well, time to make the appropriate changes.

[http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15991411/mp3/Bandwidth/chchanz.jpg]
2012-10-31, 3:57 AM #34
Why the big rush to release a new movie?

I liked there just being the original trilogy of three great films, and then we had something over Trekkies.

"In a
statement announcing the purchase , Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said."

They're going to milk this to death, then.

All the best characters are dead. The Star Wars saga is the story of Anakin, and he's dead. It's wrapped up neatly. The new films will just be new characters with lightsabers.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-10-31, 5:20 AM #35
Not sure this is good or not. Rushing films out every 2 years? That sounds awful. I don't think they should make episodes 7-9. Instead, they should make new films set in the SW universe. A boba fett film, for instance, could be fantastic if it was done well.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2012-10-31, 6:18 AM #36
Originally posted by Krokodile:
This actually got me really excited, until I saw the bit about George Lucas serving as creative consultant. :(

That's a good thing actually. It's nice to have Lucas in for suggesting ideas, but since he doesn't have complete control like he did with the prequels; the results should be better.
2012-10-31, 6:53 AM #37
It doesn't necessarily sound like they're rushing to do a movie. Lucas said he's had a lot of treatments for material done for a while now, not to mention all the storylines they've worked on for the Star Wars live action series.

Looking forward to Disney's need to double-dip and seeing the unaltered trilogy released on Blu Ray.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-10-31, 7:15 AM #38
the thing is does their purchase of lucasfilm allow them to release those blurays or does fox still hold the home video distribution rights?
2012-10-31, 7:51 AM #39
Originally posted by Ni:
Not sure this is good or not. Rushing films out every 2 years? That sounds awful.

I'm thinking like the Harry Potter films or Pirates of the Caribbean. I think those films are fine. Not spectacular, just ...fine.

I always find it unnerving that IP's are being vacuumed up by like 3 major companies though. Little bit surprised LucasFilm and ILM only worth 4 billion.

I guess doesn't matter as I find Star Wars these days as "meh." Can't get milked any more than what Lucas was doing.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-10-31, 7:53 AM #40
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I think the movies are going to ignore the EU, since some of the articles I've seen state that Lucas is the one who put together the stories for 7/8/9, and he's been pretty vocal in the past how the EU isn't "his" universe, so they don't count.

I don't know about that... quite a few EU elements made their way into the prequel trilogy (as well as the special edition original trilogy). For example, the name of the planet "Coruscant" was invented by Timothy Zahn, not George Lucas.

Someone on reddit posted that the new films were going to draw heavily from the EU, but they didn't provide any source as to where they got that information.

↑ Up to the top!