Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → U.S. elections thread
U.S. elections thread
2012-11-06, 4:25 PM #1
Good news, swing state voters! After tonight, you'll no longer be bombarded with ads for political candidates, and will instead be bombarded with ads for diamonds and Lexuses! Discuss the national races, your local elections, your own voting (or nonvoting) experience and today's undoubtedly high illegal immigrant voter turnout here.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-11-06, 6:50 PM #2
So, intrade now predicts an Obama victory with over 90% confidence.

Given that, what's with the Fox News headlines like "Obama wins battlegrounds [...] Romney leads in overall electoral-vote"? (And all the other outlets spouting off (this whole last week) about the two being "neck and neck" in national polls, when such fluctuations in the national average could only be weakly correlated with the relevent swing states.)
2012-11-06, 6:55 PM #3
My state still considers gays to be less than people.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-11-06, 7:09 PM #4
We should have let wookiee06 come back for a week or so leading up to the election. :sad;
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-11-06, 7:36 PM #5
Why havent we gotten rid of the Electoral College already?

Now that the technology to simply and accurately count popular vote exists, it seems like switching to that would save a lot of time and money.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-11-06, 8:22 PM #6
Many news networks are calling it for Obama.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-11-06, 8:26 PM #7
...aaaaaaaaaaaand we're done here.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-11-06, 8:36 PM #8
Damn, that was quick. I guess it's a good thing the pollsters oversampled Democrats.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-11-06, 9:36 PM #9
420 SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY
in colorado
2012-11-06, 9:42 PM #10
[http://i.imgur.com/8QXtn.gif]
2012-11-06, 10:09 PM #11
That might be the only good post you have ever made...
2012-11-06, 10:10 PM #12
Some selections from my facebook feed:

Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "And what about "demographics"? How is that not just thinly veiled racism?"

Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "Let's not fight here... We should be agreeing that we never had freedom to begin with. We're not losing anything in this election.. We're just biding our time, like always."

Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "I did not vote either. And I say that proudly. Because I WILL NOT VOTE for a candidate that I don't approve of. We need to do away with this 2 party system. Ashley, let me tell you this: Love our country because it is America, and because the ideal of America is still recognized by God as being noble and true. And ignore Man's attempts to piggy back on that nobility. And recognize that all of man's scratching and poking at the truth and nobility of our Nation will ultimately amount to nothing. This is about faith. I have faith that God will win, no matter how jacked up it looks in the mean time. Do you?"
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-11-06, 10:13 PM #13
Jon Simon (Sarn_Cadrill) "Thing that bothers me though, is that we sit there (as a nation) and rejoice in how PC and enlightened we are, and then we talk about things like "demographics" and how white women vote this way and black men voted this way and hispanics voted this way... Bottom line, race still plays a predominant role in our perceptions as a nation."

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-11-06, 10:16 PM #14
[http://i.imgur.com/rldsI.jpg]
2012-11-06, 10:18 PM #15
wow sarn is a gigantic idiot
lol @ thinking some deity made your country as some special perfect example of virtue and justice. The level hubris to think that a literal all powerful god loves your country is mind boggling. What about all the other countries? God hates Canada?
2012-11-06, 10:25 PM #16
AMERICANS ARE AT IT AGAIN.

JOB WELL DONE.

BURGERBOYS.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-11-06, 10:33 PM #17
Marriage equality news and the ousting of some long time incumbents is delicious news.

President Obama, eh, less annoying of the two, and his stance on social issues is vaguely preferable.

Gary Johnson over 5%! All I want!
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-11-06, 10:38 PM #18
Originally posted by Tibby:
lol @ thinking some deity made your country as some special perfect example of virtue and justice. The level hubris to think that a literal all powerful god loves your country is mind boggling. What about all the other countries? God hates Canada?

Not at all.. Let me respond with another facebook quote of mine:

Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "In short, the USA has been riding on the concept of spiritual Righteousness which is undeserved. Very soon, we're going to fall off. (Or it's possible that we already have. Look at all the "natural" disasters, and look at all the "terrorist actions" we've been dealing with. Maybe we're just reaping the harvest that our indifference has sown.)" (And please forgive me if I sound a little "street-corner-preacher-y". I'm a little drunk.)

But in short, I definitely don't entertain the concept of "our country is a perfect example of virtue and justice just because I happen to have been born there."

2012-11-06, 10:42 PM #19
"natural" disasters rofl
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-11-06, 10:52 PM #20
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Why havent we gotten rid of the Electoral College already?
Because it balances proportional representation with regional representation while amplifying the significance of differences in the popular vote. It does mean that candidates can win without taking the popular vote, but pretty much the only way to do that is to completely dominate the country geographically. If you eliminated the Electoral College you'd need to find some other way to enfranchise people who live in regions with a low population density, otherwise politicians would just focus all of their campaigning and policies on the major cities.

Quote:
Now that the technology to simply and accurately count popular vote exists, it seems like switching to that would save a lot of time and money.
The technology doesn't exist. There's always some probability of miscounting. User error, bugs/sabotage, cosmic radiation, there's a pretty huge list of things that can go wrong and can't realistically be prevented. That probability of a miscount forms a probability distribution which we use to approximate the margin of error for an election.

Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Some selections from my facebook feed:
****in rad, I love reading **** off of someone's facebook.

Quote:
Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "And what about "demographics"? How is that not just thinly veiled racism?"

Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "Let's not fight here... We should be agreeing that we never had freedom to begin with. We're not losing anything in this election.. We're just biding our time, like always."

Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "I did not vote either. And I say that proudly. Because I WILL NOT VOTE for a candidate that I don't approve of. We need to do away with this 2 party system. Ashley, let me tell you this: Love our country because it is America, and because the ideal of America is still recognized by God as being noble and true. And ignore Man's attempts to piggy back on that nobility. And recognize that all of man's scratching and poking at the truth and nobility of our Nation will ultimately amount to nothing. This is about faith. I have faith that God will win, no matter how jacked up it looks in the mean time. Do you?"

Jon Simon (Sarn_Cadrill) "Thing that bothers me though, is that we sit there (as a nation) and rejoice in how PC and enlightened we are, and then we talk about things like "demographics" and how white women vote this way and black men voted this way and hispanics voted this way... Bottom line, race still plays a predominant role in our perceptions as a nation."
Things the Republicans stole from the 1950s: American exceptionalism, hatred of women, lynching black people.

He hasn't thought that far ahead.

My empire is crumbling, sliding into irrelevance while I wax politic on the internet, using the products of gigantic corporations which I bought on my government salary. No, we must work outside the system for the system is too broken, that's what Jesus would have wanted. Ron Paul 2013.
2012-11-06, 10:56 PM #21
I like you, I don't know why I didn't before.
Did I change or did you change? It's been a while.
2012-11-06, 10:57 PM #22
****in'. Rad.

Quote:
Jon Simon: (Sarn_Cadrill) "In short, the USA has been riding on the concept of spiritual Righteousness which is undeserved. Very soon, we're going to fall off. (Or it's possible that we already have. Look at all the "natural" disasters, and look at all the "terrorist actions" we've been dealing with. Maybe we're just reaping the harvest that our indifference has sown.)" (And please forgive me if I sound a little "street-corner-preacher-y". I'm a little drunk.)
Yeah that's right, God is sending hurricanes to punish you for entertaining civil and social liberties and ideas like noblesse oblige, that having power over men means you also have responsibility and stewardship for them, instead of building a culture of judgement and condemnation of anyone who is not white and male. Jesus was huge on **** like that, as we all know, and that's why restrictive and anti-homo dictatorships like Iran don't get hurricanes.
2012-11-06, 10:57 PM #23
Okay America, you may have Obama, but you're going to hell when you die:

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYdIvwOXHYU
2012-11-06, 10:59 PM #24
The Hurricane is somewhat responsible (slightly, what with NJ shifting to dem) for Obama winning.
Suck on that bible boys.
2012-11-06, 10:59 PM #25
There goes any shred of credibility you will ever have.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-11-06, 11:00 PM #26
I heard on the radio that lots of Russians in NJ couldn't vote because there were no translators. I'm guessing they would have been against Obama because he's a communist and stuff, just like in the old country.
2012-11-06, 11:01 PM #27
Originally posted by Alan:
There goes any shred of credibility you will ever have.

Because he's quoting himself as like it's an academic source, or because he thinks facebook is a place of high discourse?
2012-11-06, 11:01 PM #28
I think at this point Russians are uniquely qualified to know the hardships of both living under a broken communist system, and a broken free-enterprise system.
2012-11-06, 11:02 PM #29
Jon`C: *shrug*

2012-11-06, 11:04 PM #30
lol @ you
I remember not so long ago when my favoured debate tactic was to get into it, get in over my head, then abandon it while also being passive aggressive.
2012-11-06, 11:04 PM #31
and.. (quoted myself because I thought some of you might get a kick out of what I said.. and I didn't want to retype it all. SRSLY, I'm drunk as **** tonight. Cut me some slack... (I'm on leave))

2012-11-06, 11:05 PM #32
(right now, the discussion about which bike and helmet I should get is more important than this thread, so go talk **** to me there, please.)

2012-11-06, 11:07 PM #33
The Hurricane is somewhat responsible (slightly, what with NJ shifting to dem) for Obama winning.
Suck on that bible boys.

NJ went for Obama in 2008 too.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-11-06, 11:07 PM #34
and.. (quoted myself because I thought some of you might get a kick out of what I said.. and I didn't want to retype it all. SRSLY, I'm drunk as **** tonight. (I'm on leave))

I could hardly tell.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2012-11-06, 11:21 PM #35
and.. (quoted myself because I thought some of you might get a kick out of what I said.. and I didn't want to retype it all. SRSLY, I'm drunk as **** tonight. Cut me some slack... (I'm on leave))

def. got a kick out of the idea that the 1850s lockean neo-liberal hellhole you've built is somehow "recognized by God as being noble and true" but healing and feeding the poor for free isn't.
2012-11-06, 11:23 PM #36
ty sarn.

RON PAUL 2013.
2012-11-06, 11:47 PM #37
Jesus Christ, Sarn! You may be inebriated, but it's pointlessly difficult to read posts that are written like AIM / facebook / SMS chat sessions.

I'm beginning to think that Facebook, and not television, is what rots the brain in this day and age.
2012-11-06, 11:49 PM #38
Eh, I am continuing on my way down tinfoil lane. Voted for Gary Johnson... even though up until last year he was registered as a republican -_-

California is continuing on its slow swirl down the drain. The state legislature (read as: CTA and SEIU) successfully pulled off the narrative that "Hey! I know we have totally boondoggled California's finances... but, we need more money and if you don't approve these new taxes we are going to purposefully make cuts to education... because we know that's how we can get you to vote yes."
...seriously it's like every 2-4 years these ass clowns put a gun to "the children's" heads and say give us more money or we pull the trigger! and Californian's not only keep saying "well alright" they keep electing the same incompetent pieces of circumcised forskin over and OVER!!!

I think the best way to sum up my feelings after this whole election would be the phrase "dread curiosity". At this point i am kinda curious to see where exactly this cluster **** is going to end up.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-11-06, 11:50 PM #39
snoopdogg on twitter: "my president is black"
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2012-11-06, 11:52 PM #40
Honestly I think most of the US worships some sort of evil trickster blood god.

↑ Up to the top!