Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anyone heard of Ivave?
Anyone heard of Ivave?
2012-11-08, 12:43 PM #1
http://www.ivave.com/

Basically, the site offers mp3 downloads for $0.05 each. You're required to purchase at least $10 at once, however. I've read that this site and several others are legal due to the way the RIAA/MPAA has set up agreements with foreign entities. As, in the US at least, there are no import taxes or duties on digital material, these sites are able to sell for however low they want as long as the owner of the material gets a cut.

What I'm more concerned about is sending my debit card's information over an unencrypted connection. The site has been up for some time now, but there's a distinct lack of reviews or user testimonials, which sets of my bull**** detector. I'm not afraid about the legality, but I am afraid of some random guy in Cyprus or Russia having my purchasing information.

I don't believe this is supporting bootlegging at all, but if a mod frowns on me, I apologize. I think a discussion of purchasing digital material from foreign countries and alternatives to itunes/amazon might be a worthwhile discussion in itself, however.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-11-08, 12:59 PM #2
It's about as illegal as music gets. There's been several Russian-situated sites like this in the past, all shut down. They just take advantage of the fact that people believe it's legit because they're charging for it.

After all, stuff like this should be setting off huge red flags for you:

http://ivave.com/#!/release/438686

An iTunes exclusive on ivave? And the album art even saying iTunes Exclusive in it? Thing is, RIAA doesn't set up music agreements. You have to sign agreements with groups like WMI or specific labels/artists in some cases. I am finding several examples of music that simply doesn't exist anywhere except iTunes and yet, magically, it's on that site. Sounds more like they just ripped the entire iTunes music library, and are reselling it illegally.
2012-11-08, 3:18 PM #3
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
tl;dr: no.

Quote:
Basically, the site offers mp3 downloads for $0.05 each. You're required to purchase at least $10 at once, however.
At best it's bootlegging. In reality they probably just ripped the iTunes Music Store index to get people to think it's legit, then when you pay your $10 (or however much they feel like charging) it turns out that you can't really download anything.

Quote:
I've read that this site and several others are legal due to the way the RIAA/MPAA has set up agreements with foreign entities. As, in the US at least, there are no import taxes or duties on digital material, these sites are able to sell for however low they want as long as the owner of the material gets a cut.
nope.

Quote:
What I'm more concerned about is sending my debit card's information over an unencrypted connection.
No legitimate internet business in tyool 2012 would accept credit card information over an unencrypted connection.

Quote:
The site has been up for some time now, but there's a distinct lack of reviews or user testimonials, which sets of my bull**** detector. I'm not afraid about the legality, but I am afraid of some random guy in Cyprus or Russia having my purchasing information.
If you aren't afraid of the legality you might as well just fire up bittorrent, because if they let you download anything at all it's the same deal.

Quote:
I don't believe this is supporting bootlegging at all, but if a mod frowns on me, I apologize. I think a discussion of purchasing digital material from foreign countries and alternatives to itunes/amazon might be a worthwhile discussion in itself, however.
No. And even if it were legit, companies set prices in different countries based on what the people can afford and are willing to pay. Companies would rather lose developing nation business than have Americans paying for products at those prices. All you're doing is contributing to a situation where people from poor countries can't afford to buy things online.
2012-11-08, 5:34 PM #4
CM- That's funny. I just looked and they have AC/DC on there too, when they refuse to digitally distribute their music at all.
Jon 'C- Duly noted.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-11-09, 3:45 PM #5
With out digital distribution, AC/DC will probably not see a boost in sales. Of course, if they change their minds, their fans will probably fly-back to them. Really they'd be cuk-ey not to buck their current trend. It's a pretty straight forward idea.

<_<
2012-11-09, 5:09 PM #6
Spotting Scams 101, also known as: How to Not Be Stupid

Rule #1: If the deal seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't true.
2012-11-11, 11:35 AM #7
Originally posted by Reid:
Rule #1: If the deal seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't true.

Exception on the internet being Steam Sales.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-11-11, 12:12 PM #8
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Exception on the internet being Steam Sales.

true except steam. steam is actually that good.
2012-11-11, 1:27 PM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
With out digital distribution, AC/DC will probably not see a boost in sales. Of course, if they change their minds, their fans will probably fly-back to them. Really they'd be cuk-ey not to buck their current trend. It's a pretty straight forward idea.

<_<

I don't think AC/DC has worried about their album sales for the last 20 years.
>>untie shoes
2012-11-11, 3:52 PM #10
Quote:

EDIT: Come on, surely someone here tinkers with power electronics a bit?

↑ Up to the top!