Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Valve to make next-gen console, compete with Sony/Microsoft- CNET
Valve to make next-gen console, compete with Sony/Microsoft- CNET
2012-12-10, 10:17 PM #1
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57558240-235/valve-co-founder-says-steam-box-is-a-go/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Valve is going to make BILLIONS.:awesomelon:
2012-12-10, 10:33 PM #2
I'll be interested to see what their controller will be like, or if they can continue to somehow allow for continued use of the 360 controller.

I'm curious how Valve entering the scene will shake the console industry up as well. I know I'd probably be interested in getting a Steam Box, or whatever they'll call it.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-12-10, 10:37 PM #3
[http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339332999/steambox_1.jpg]
2012-12-10, 10:38 PM #4
Trackball supremacy in tyool 2013.
2012-12-11, 8:09 AM #5
Did you even read the original Kotaku interview? It's not going to be a game console. It's going to be a Valve-designed PC. It will still play PC games. This is not a third console. It's a different take on a home theater/gaming PC.
>>untie shoes
2012-12-11, 8:54 AM #6
Originally posted by Antony:
Did you even read the original Kotaku interview? It's not going to be a game console. It's going to be a Valve-designed PC. It will still play PC games. This is not a third console. It's a different take on a home theater/gaming PC.

Whatever.

Anyway, the only game I'm waiting for (but not for the purpose of actually playing it through) is the HD remake of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and seeing as this doesn't seem to affect it in anyway, good luck for Gabenboys.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-12-11, 9:03 AM #7

A console is just a standardized PC with limited features focused for playing games. Unless this Valve-designed PC acts significantly different, this just tells me I'll be able to play PC games on it (and "only" PC games on it), which to me means it's just that much more awesome.
2012-12-11, 9:04 AM #8
Originally posted by Tibby:
[http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339332999/steambox_1.jpg]

Hmm, trackball, eh? Looks like it could be useful, though I'm surprised the trackball isn't on the right side instead. Maybe the two can be swapped by the user, which would be pretty cool.
2012-12-11, 9:17 AM #9

this is probably the best thing ive heard in gaming... ever.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-12-11, 1:21 PM #10
It will interesting to see what percentage of their game library they can get working flawlessly with Linux + WINE.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-12-11, 1:48 PM #11
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
It will interesting to see what percentage of their game library they can get working flawlessly with Linux + WINE.

I don't think they have any intention of using WINE. They certainly aren't for their own games. Linux ports of other games in the library will most likely left up to those developers, just like with OS X.
2012-12-11, 1:54 PM #12
The main blocker to a lot of games right now is that there's no UE3 port for Linux. OSX support wasn't even added until last year.
2012-12-11, 2:02 PM #13
Actually the MAIN main blocker is the fact that almost nobody runs Linux, but if Valve can convince people to run their super duper GAMING OS it should help a lot.
2012-12-11, 2:18 PM #14
Of course native ports would be preferred but honestly without using WINE, I'm concerned they wont have enough of a game library to interest anyone for a long time.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-12-11, 2:41 PM #15
A huge reason game companies don't port to Linux is because it's so difficult to offer support. It's hard enough on Windows, with so many potential combinations of hardware and drivers, but Linux inherits those problems on top of n factorial kernel options, a dozen different window managers and a dozen different packaging systems. If Valve blesses one distribution it will bring QA costs back down to something reasonable.

It's definitely not enough by itself to build a business case for Linux ports, but it drastically reduces the kind of market share you'd need to hit the tipping point.
2012-12-11, 3:22 PM #16
There's nothing stopping valve from also packaging it with Windows 7 and just having a special version of steam that starts straight into big screen mode.
2012-12-11, 3:30 PM #17
There's nothing stopping valve from also packaging it with Windows 7 and just having a special version of steam that starts straight into big screen mode.

True but there has been a lot of hints suggesting the Linux client is part of this plan.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-12-11, 3:39 PM #18
But what will they name it?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2012-12-11, 3:43 PM #19
Yes there is:

Microsoft.
2012-12-11, 3:48 PM #20

You mean besides the fact that it'd be a $50+ premium on top of the already likely-expensive cost for the console, and that they've been investing heavily in Linux development for all their games.
2012-12-11, 3:54 PM #21
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You mean besides the fact that it'd be a $50+ premium on top of the already likely-expensive cost for the console, and that they've been investing heavily in Linux development for all their games.

Closer to $120.

And that's assuming Microsoft would license Valve to produce a competing video game console, and that's assuming Microsoft would let an OEM bundle Windows 7 with a consumer device instead of Windows 8, and that's assuming Valve is interested in doing business with Microsoft.
2012-12-11, 5:25 PM #22
Assuming things is 90% of the fun of tech news.
2012-12-11, 7:53 PM #23
DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE LOVE SPENDING MONEY ON REDUNDANT ELECTRONICS? I KNOW I DO
2012-12-16, 5:41 AM #24
Anyone else in the Steam Linux beta? I only have Amnesia & TF2 (through Steam) but it's working decent enough so far (my system can't handle SS3). Big Picture Mode is a bit buggy for me so far.
? :)
2012-12-16, 1:43 PM #25
I'm in the Steam Linux beta. SS3 works well, TF2 works okay except it always shows up on my left monitor instead of my primary monitor, which is too uncomfortable to really play.
2012-12-16, 11:57 PM #26
I thought about trying to get into it, if only for a reason to use my fedora install
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-12-21, 5:10 AM #27
Originally posted by Gebohq:
a Steam Box, or whatever they'll call it.

$5 says Steam Engine.
nope.
2012-12-21, 5:41 AM #28
I added my Humble Indie Bundle 1 keys & installed Aquaria, Penumbra: Overture & World of Goo. I couldn't get the other games (e.g. Lugaru HD) to install via the keys (assuming Valve simply hasn't added these games to the Steam Linux Beta yet. I couldn't get any of the games from the new Humble Indie Bundle 7 to install (except Shank 2, which though installed, doesn't have a play button), presumably for the same reason. It's really a shame since these bundles are of particular interest to Linux gamers & since they typically lead the donation average arena. I'm certain that it's only a matter of time--they have a lot of work ahead of them.

I'm currently playing Aquaria via Steam with my new Xbox 360 controller & am loving it.
2012-12-21, 7:34 AM #29
Devs have to submit Linux binaries and system requirements for them to get added to the store.
2012-12-22, 4:56 AM #30
shouldn't the linux versions have a lower system requirement because linux is better at everything???

:confused:
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-12-22, 7:53 AM #31
No, because Linux graphics drivers suck, X sucks, and Linux Flash sucks (for the few Steam games that use it).
2012-12-31, 3:16 AM #32
Originally posted by Alan:
shouldn't the linux versions have a lower system requirement because linux is better at everything??? :confused:

The following article pretty much sums up the current problems with gaming on Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2NDc
2012-12-31, 5:04 AM #33
I think Linux needs to tap into gaming by emulating an Android device.

There have already been suggestions to this effect:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/AndroidExecutionEnvironment

-There's a growing pool of game developers both professional and amateur for Android.
-There would be a high degree of compatibility, given that Android OS is a Linux variant, most of the incompatibility would probably be due to which specific hardware you decide to emulate (Tegra2/3, Snapdragon, Exynos, ect)
-There are other hardware projects moving to take advantage of Android's growing gaming base- ie: OUYA.
-Granted the games would probably be slanted more towards 'Casual' gaming, and even the games that push phone hardware to their limit can't compare to PC gaming but given the issues with GPU drivers in linux this is probably a good thing.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-12-31, 11:39 AM #34
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
-There's a growing pool of game developers both professional and amateur for Android.

There's a popping bubble of game developers for mobile devices, especially for Android where the conversion rate is abnormally low. Emulation is also historically harmful for platform adoption (OS/2), and easy button porting isn't enough to create a business case (winelib).

What Linux needs is a larger desktop market share.
2012-12-31, 11:52 AM #35
What Linux needs is to get rid of X11, because 3 of the 8 issues brought up in that Phoronix article are directly attributable to that white elephant.
2012-12-31, 1:04 PM #36
There's also the problem that android users seem to despise paying for anything, although desktop linux doesn't seem to have that problem- see humble bundle sales.
2012-12-31, 1:20 PM #37
Also the platform is supposedly very unpleasant to target, IHVs take way too many liberties with the underlying API in addition to hardware quality and design problems. Making desktop Linux a target would just create another device for Android developers to have to test against and whitelist.

OUYA is a terrible example because the choice of Android was made so they could recycle Android tablet SoCs that nobody wanted to buy. Android was not chosen for its technical merit (it has none).

Also OUYA is a vapourware forever-project started by a game producer with no hardware experience and no engineering input.
2012-12-31, 6:39 PM #38
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Also OUYA is a vapourware forever-project started by a game producer with no hardware experience and no engineering input.

I think 'vapourware forever-project' might be a little harsh even if technically, thus far, correct. They just shipped 1,200 Developer Consoles within 5 months of ending their kickstarter campaign.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-12-31, 7:15 PM #39
They slapped some chinese socs into halfass cases, then shipped them. Not too hard.
2012-12-31, 7:44 PM #40
Sometimes I forget where I am.

Anyway back closer to the topic, Anyone think Valve might do something like copy (or just buy) OnLive's service and implement it on this 'Steambox' for singleplayer games? Obviously it wouldnt work for multiplayer games with all the extra network overhead and input lag but it would make nearly all the singleplayer Windows games available. Just speculating.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER

↑ Up to the top!