Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why did no one tell me
Why did no one tell me
2012-12-13, 8:53 PM #1
XBMC was so awesome?

I got into it like a week ago when I was trying to figure out a way to watch amazon instant video and control it with my WMC remote. now i've got one application to watch Amazon, HULU, Netflix(albeit very buggy) and even the shows that aren't available on HULU but are available on the websites of the various networks.

seriously. flippin sweet!
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-12-13, 9:22 PM #2
I didn't know anyone used Amazon Instant Video. **** quality and a selection that is basically insulting...
2012-12-13, 9:54 PM #3
Plex is better.

o.0
2012-12-14, 4:07 AM #4
I use XBMC under Ubuntu on my media station (24" iMac). I used Plex about 6 months ago but switched because of how buggy it was (e.g. the PBS plugin was dysfunctional for quite some time) & haven't looked back.
? :)
2012-12-14, 7:30 AM #5
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I didn't know anyone used Amazon Instant Video. **** quality and a selection that is basically insulting...

It's free with Prime memberships, why not use it? Their HD quality stuff is pretty on-par with Netflix's HD quality stuff, and their selection has grown lately to be pretty decent. Watched all of Fringe (not available on Netflix, BTW) up to the current season on it recently, and it was pretty damn nice.
2012-12-14, 7:53 AM #6
Originally posted by Darth:
It's free with Prime memberships, why not use it? Their HD quality stuff is pretty on-par with Netflix's HD quality stuff, and their selection has grown lately to be pretty decent. Watched all of Fringe (not available on Netflix, BTW) up to the current season on it recently, and it was pretty damn nice.

One crappy show not make a good selection. And the last time I used it (about a month ago), I had to drag out my goddamn xbox because I couldn't watch a movie I rented in HD on my PC. And this was by design​. So you could say I have not had good experiences with that ****.

Originally posted by Greenboy:
Plex is better.

Plex is literally just a ****ty port of XBMC. It is worse in every area. Anything you're doing in Plex can be done in XBMC with less bugs and a better UI.
2012-12-14, 6:44 PM #7
I use amazon instant video because for some of the shows i wanted to watch with my wife aren't available for streaming elsewhere. (Notably, The West Wing and Studio 60. Yeah, I like Aaron Sorkin shows, so what?) also, streaming from within XBMC produces far better HD playback than from the browser. In the browser I had to force the bit rate in order to watch at the quality my connection allows for. The selection seems to fill in a lot of the gaps in Netflix's coverage, and i'm already a prime member, so why not?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-12-14, 7:52 PM #8
Amazon Instant Video has Doctor Who, all of TNG, Avatar: The Last Airbender, &c. Prime paid for itself halfway through David Tennant...
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!