Thread: Good wireless routers?

Good wireless routers?

I'm using Comcast xfinity blast plus (stupid name...) to get 35 down/15 up. After fighting with Comcast after they screwed up the firmware on my modem for 2 years, I now get those speeds on my wired connection.

On my wifi connection though, I can barely break 10/5. I know wifi is slower than wired, but I'm using a Linksys WRT-54G2 router that I've had since probably about 2007 or 2008.

I think it might be time for an upgrade to see if I can make better use of my wifi, but I've been out of the router game for a long, long time.

Any recommendations, massassi?

You can try and flash your current router with DD-WRT and see if you get better performance that way. All WRT-54G2 routers are supported except revision 1.5 (should be listed somewhere in tiny print on the router).

If you want to stick with Cisco/Linksys, the E4200 is probably your best bet right now. Can be found for $100 pretty easily, and it'll provide you with more than enough bandwidth to utilize those speeds (assuming you don't go too far out of range of course and have N adapters on your computers). Steer clear of the newer ones like the E4500 and their "Cisco Connect Cloud" crap though.

Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

Linksys WRT310G, WRT310GL. That's what I have, and it's absolutely rocksolid. Only does wireless G though, but I've never found that a problem.

Buying a Wireless-G router today is pants-on-head retarded. 5ghz Wireless N is way less crowded, it can pull off better range despite lower penetration, and it's quite a bit faster.

Anyway, if you don't want to stick with what you have now, I recommend looking at ASUS routers. They have been making names for themselves in the wake of Linksys going down the tubes.

Be cautious about Linksys. Rumors are that Cisco may sell it off.

No they aren't!
    http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirSta...buffalo+router
    I'm pretty happy with my Buffalo router. It comes with DD-WRT stock too.

o.0

Admiral of Awesome
    Netgear WNDR3800 here. Replaced a WRT54G that didn't support custom firmwares which had a design flaw (the router did not properly collect stale connections).
    Last edited by Jon`C; 12-18-2012 at 02:54 AM.

I'm confused, is that spambot being helpful? I find the idea of Carson being a legitimate new user even more far fetched. I guess time will tell. Welcome.