Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → looking for a gamepad
looking for a gamepad
2012-12-21, 9:22 AM #1
i'm finding more and more games with driveable vehicles with completely unusable keyboard controls... i used to have a wireless receiver for my 360 controllers but i have no clue where it is and i'd rather just have a wired controller anyway

before i just give up and buy a 360 controller i'm looking for other options

i'd prefer it to have the same configuration as the 360 controller (all the sticks and buttons in the same place and analog triggers are a must have) but at the same time i would like to have something that is a little more configurable than a 360 controller or possibly something just as good as a 360 controller but maybe a little cheaper
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-12-21, 10:08 AM #2
Yeah you should just get an xbox360 controller. Go to gamestop and get something pre-owned if you want it cheaper.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-12-21, 10:59 AM #3
How do you mean configurable? You can download third party software that will let you rebind every button on the controller to do whatever.

As far as price, you can probably find cheaper, but honestly the quality won't be terribly great.
2012-12-21, 4:43 PM #4
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-gamepad-f710?crid=713

I have this, and also one of the wired versions. Works pretty well. Has logitech software for customization, and configured like an xbox controller.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-12-21, 7:40 PM #5
IF you use software like xpadder all controllers are configurable.
Xbox 360 is a good controller, and most games instantly recognize the xbox controller so it works perfectly instantly.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-12-21, 9:02 PM #6
Yeah, 360 controller is what you want. It's good quality, relatively cheap, and it's the gold standard for game development. Pretty much any game you buy is going to be designed with the 360 controller in mind.
2012-12-22, 4:53 AM #7
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-gamepad-f710?crid=713

I have this, and also one of the wired versions. Works pretty well. Has logitech software for customization, and configured like an xbox controller.

that's a ps3 controller what the **** are you talking about

don't you know anything
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-12-22, 5:39 AM #8
The button configuration is the same. Only difference is the location of the left joystick and d-pad is swapped.
It's closer to an xbox controller as far as overall shape is concerned, and it has the same buttons.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-12-22, 7:02 AM #9
To me, it looks like they took the worst things of the PS3 controller and the 360 controller and combined them.

Crappy 360 D-pad? Check.
Tiny PS3 hand grips? Check.
PS3 analog sticks with nearly zero grip? Check.
2012-12-22, 7:14 AM #10
Yeah, just get a wired 360 controller. If you want a slightly better D-pad, get one of the newer ones with the twisty D-pad thing (still not great, but quite a bit better than the original). Those are wireless only though as far as I know.

Like Jon said, almost every PC game with controller support these days is designed around the 360 controller and the button configurations are usually setup correctly by default.
2012-12-22, 7:37 AM #11
I remember one of these threads where someone tried to convince us all that the N64 gamepad was the best evar! Those were fun times.

This thread does not deliver.
>>untie shoes
2012-12-22, 5:32 PM #12
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
To me, it looks like they took the worst things of the PS3 controller and the 360 controller and combined them.

Crappy 360 D-pad? Check.
Crappy how? (besides, I almost never use the D-pad for anything besides navigating menus... Why care?)
Quote:
Tiny PS3 hand grips? Check.
The hand grips on the gamepad I linked are quite comfortable. Not nearly as small as the PS controller, but not as wide as the XBox controller.
Quote:
PS3 analog sticks with nearly zero grip? Check.
How do you have any idea what the grip's like from a picture? Comparing that to just a picture of an xbox controller, the sticks look almost exactly the same (the xbox has little directional nubs on it, which may have a slight impact on grip). Actually holding both controllers in my hand, and I honestly can't tell a difference. If anything, the logitech is slightly more comfortable.. No noticeable difference in grip.

2012-12-22, 5:46 PM #13
Crappy D-pad as in it has that stupid circular layout instead of defined directions (See: any Nintendo or Sony D-pad ever made). Makes it harder to do any circular motions/diagonals accurately. Useful for... just about any 2D game ever made and also fighting games.

Great, so we established you have tiny itty bitty hands.

Because you can clearly see the difference on the top of the sticks? The 360 controller sticks indent to hold your thumb way more comfortably. Hell, even the Nintendo analog sticks have at least some thick "nubs" as you call them around the whole stick to keep the thumb in place.

All small stuff that makes a big difference. Especially on a controller that costs more than the 360 controller (or same price if you want a rechargeable version). You're not making a very good case here for getting this over the 360 controller.
2012-12-23, 7:54 PM #14
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Crappy D-pad as in it has that stupid circular layout instead of defined directions (See: any Nintendo or Sony D-pad ever made). Makes it harder to do any circular motions/diagonals accurately. Useful for... just about any 2D game ever made and also fighting games.
I know you probably won't believe me, but I just tested the controller with the functionality of the D-Pad in mind, and it performs just fine.. (and yeah, 2D games, fighting games, and menus are just about the only thing ANY D-Pad is good for, isn't it?) In fact, there's definite sensory input between a side arrow and a diagonal side/up arrow. I think the "circular layout" is pretty much cosmetic.

Quote:
Great, so we established you have tiny itty bitty hands.
Nope.. (And you know what they say about big hands...) I have fairly large hands (in particular fairly long fingers). I never liked the XBox controller.. That may be because I grew up on the PS controller, which I always thought was better, but a bit too extreme of a difference. I honestly feel like this Logitech is a good middle ground. (The new XBox controllers are much better than the originals, obviously, so this is not as much of an issue as it would have been in the original XBox days)

Quote:
Because you can clearly see the difference on the top of the sticks? The 360 controller sticks indent to hold your thumb way more comfortably. Hell, even the Nintendo analog sticks have at least some thick "nubs" as you call them around the whole stick to keep the thumb in place.
If anything, I actually find the "craters" on the top of the sticks to be a detriment. It causes the tip of my finger to slip off the lip, and slide across the top. But that may just be personal preference.

[/quote]All small stuff that makes a big difference. Especially on a controller that costs more than the 360 controller (or same price if you want a rechargeable version). You're not making a very good case here for getting this over the 360 controller.[/QUOTE]Except that he specifically said he didn't want an XBox controller, but didn't specify why... *shrug*

↑ Up to the top!