Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Hobbit
The Hobbit
2013-01-08, 11:40 AM #1
It wasn't as bad as I expected. Heh. I heard a lot about how lots of people found it boring, but I actually liked it until, well, until it ended.

I mean, it ends when all that remains is a giant orc / dwarf battle and the dragon battle and THE END, but no, let's make it 2 (or 3 even?) movies. THE HELL. I actually said "Nooo!" (though with one "o") in the theatre when the credits rolled I think. I mean, if LOTR is 3 books and 3 movies, fine, no worries, but The Hobbit is not 3 books. So while I enjoyed the action scenes (they added some stuff that wasn't in the book which didn't seem to be too out of place), the costume design, and Agent Smith, I'm not sure I will pay to go see The Hobbit Part 2.

Opinions?
幻術
2013-01-08, 11:58 AM #2
While I'm not going to argue whether its an excellent film or not (I thought it was decent-good), I do like what they've taken from the Silmarillion and added to the tale, even if a lot of it is heavily modified.

I suspect the next movie will include more development in the necromancer storyline, leading up to a fleshed out confrontation in the the third movie. As for the hobbit's journey, I imagine it's going to focus on the trek to the Lonely Mountain, his encounter with the elves. With the reveal of Legolas' cameo, and a new elf named Tauriel (played my Lost's Evangeline Lily), I think its safe to say they've expanded the tale there too.

One thing I absolutely hated from the movie was the rock golems fighting in the mountains. That ridiculous scene tore me right out of the movie with a loud, "Really?" I personally think it was a terrible interpretation of what's written in the book, though, even in the book it was pretty corny. At least there, it didn't get more than a line's worth of focus. It's certainly not something that was worth fleshing out. They should have just bypassed that scene, or had a quick overview similar to Caradhras pass in the Fellowship of the Ring.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2013-01-08, 12:11 PM #3
I rather enjoyed it, and felt the movie captured the more light-hearted adventure the book had. While making the Hobbit into 3 movies was probably a bit much, I don't feel they've dragged anything and I'll definitely want to see the other two parts in the theaters.

What I DIDN'T enjoy was seeing it in HFR (High Frame Rate). Having seen it twice in it, the beginning and certain parts later feel like they're in a strange sort of fast-forward. And, like most movies in 3D, I don't feel the 3D really added anything, though that's really the best I can say about 3D in general.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-01-08, 12:37 PM #4
Loved it. Definitely made for the fans. Not so much for anybody else.

I actually liked the Stone Giants because that was included in the book. It was silly, but, well... the book was silly too.
2013-01-08, 12:40 PM #5
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I rather enjoyed it, and felt the movie captured the more light-hearted adventure the book had.

I've been on the fence about that. In some places it works well and the songs weren't too obnoxious, but the comical trolls and the cartoony Great Goblin (Goblin King) were a drastic departure from the more nightmarish creatures of the LOTR trilogy. I understand the source material was light-hearted and child-oriented, and I realise they needed the trolls to talk rather than roar and snarl and destroy, but it felt... well it didn't feel like Middle Earth in those specific moments.

As a fan of serious and dark fantasy fiction, I didn't caro for it at all. As a general moviegoer, it made me chuckle. Kind of the same thing I got from Jar Jar Binks when I first watched Phantom Menace.

I had sort of hoped they would take the premise of the Hobbit plotline and make it into a more mature film matching the LOTR trilogy, but I suppose my expectations weren't reasonable.
2013-01-08, 12:43 PM #6
I'm honestly quite happy about splitting it into three movies because a lot of the second or third movie will be about the attack on Dol Guldur.
2013-01-08, 12:45 PM #7
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm honestly quite happy about splitting it into three movies because a lot of the second or third movie will be about the attack on Dol Guldur.

That I absolutely agree with. I'm thrilled they included and fleshed out the Necromancer/Dol Guldur storyline.
2013-01-08, 2:23 PM #8
Originally posted by Gebohq:
What I DIDN'T enjoy was seeing it in HFR (High Frame Rate). Having seen it twice in it, the beginning and certain parts later feel like they're in a strange sort of fast-forward. And, like most movies in 3D, I don't feel the 3D really added anything, though that's really the best I can say about 3D in general.

I loved the HFR viewing. I think there may be an uncanny valley sort of effect with higher framerates. Compare it to a 60 FPS sports broadcast, which looks completely natural. Part of HFR may be that directors need to rethink certain shots (like flybys in the beginning that felt way too fast). The slowmo flashback with the Pale Orc was incredible in HFR. People complained taht 48 removed the "dream like film quality" but that scene was more dream like than anything I've ever seen in a theater.

3D didn't add a lot but for the first time in live action (even including Avatar) it was pleasant and natural. The Hobbit was shot with a custom camera that had the lenses 2-3 inches apart instead of 6-8 like Avatar, or others that are done entirely in post production (which is just horrid).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-01-08, 2:44 PM #9
Ah, yes, Gollum looked very cool, too.

Originally posted by Jep:
That I absolutely agree with. I'm thrilled they included and fleshed out the Necromancer/Dol Guldur storyline.

It's been some time since I had a look at the source material. I don't remember anything about this Necromancer... I do remember there was a giant spider which Bilbo kills, naming his sword Sting.

The only two things that I remember that were to follow the escape via giant eagles was the fight with the dragon and the fight with the orcs by the mountain -- simply not enough for 2 whole movies. But again, it's been more than a decade, so maybe there's enough material and I just don't remember it? Or maybe I just wanted to see the orc war + the dragon fight. :)
幻術
2013-01-08, 2:48 PM #10
Originally posted by Emon:
I loved the HFR viewing. I think there may be an uncanny valley sort of effect with higher framerates. Compare it to a 60 FPS sports broadcast, which looks completely natural. Part of HFR may be that directors need to rethink certain shots (like flybys in the beginning that felt way too fast). The slowmo flashback with the Pale Orc was incredible in HFR. People complained taht 48 removed the "dream like film quality" but that scene was more dream like than anything I've ever seen in a theater.

3D didn't add a lot but for the first time in live action (even including Avatar) it was pleasant and natural. The Hobbit was shot with a custom camera that had the lenses 2-3 inches apart instead of 6-8 like Avatar, or others that are done entirely in post production (which is just horrid).

I've been wanting to hear how someone feels about that who isn't a snob about 24fps. It seems like it's something I would like, but we don't have a theater around here equipped to show it.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-08, 3:02 PM #11
Originally posted by Antony:
I've been wanting to hear how someone feels about that who isn't a snob about 24fps. It seems like it's something I would like, but we don't have a theater around here equipped to show it.

It takes a few minutes to get used to, and it makes some of the costumes look cheap, but other than that it's way more immersive.
2013-01-08, 3:20 PM #12
It takes a few minutes to get used to, and it makes some of the costumes look cheap, but other than that it's way more immersive.

I had figured that was going to be a concern. Most movie costumes aren't actually as good as they look. The framerate helps hide some of the flaws.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-08, 3:56 PM #13
I had figured that was going to be a concern. Most movie costumes aren't actually as good as they look. The framerate helps hide some of the flaws.
It's just some villager extras right at the start. The rest of the costumes are great. It's really only something to worry about for the third movie.
2013-01-08, 4:41 PM #14
Loved it. Definitely made for the fans. Not so much for anybody else.

This is what I've been saying. LotR was made for a general audience, and Hobbit is made for the fans.

My favourite part was Radagast. I always wanted to see more of the other wizards, and I loved how he was depicted. There's a moment when he's performing some magic and his voice suddenly gets really deep and resonant, and it's like at that moment you realise this filthy, schizophrenic hobo who thinks he's a wizard is actually a wizard.
I want to be him.
I'm just a little boy.
2013-01-08, 5:27 PM #15
I loved every single part of it, and yes especially Radagast.
The necromancer reveal was ****ing brilliant.
2013-01-08, 9:33 PM #16
i think we can all agree Radagast is awesome
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-01-09, 5:56 AM #17
:-/
2013-01-09, 6:29 AM #18
It's just some villager extras right at the start. The rest of the costumes are great. It's really only something to worry about for the third movie.

Really? I haven't seen the film yet but there was something that looked really cheap about all the dwarves in the trailer.
nope.
2013-01-09, 6:33 AM #19
There was a good amount of fan-service in there and I ate it all up. I definitely giggled at the aside of Gandalf not being able to remember the Blue Wizards' names. Also looking forward to some Cumberbatch/Freeman action in later movies.

I did miss the Moria-esque goblins though. The ones in this felt like something out of Labyrinth. Also I'm ashamed to admit that during the flashback dwarf/orc battles my first thought was: This is exactly how Warhammer should look!

Quote:
Really? I haven't seen the film yet but there was something that looked really cheap about all the dwarves in the trailer.

I was quite worried about this as well, but they did end up looking a lot better in the actual movie.

Also I cannot fan-girl enough about Radagast, and especially his sled. I nearly peed my pants when he rode out on that for the first time.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-01-09, 9:58 AM #20
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
i think we can all agree Radagast is awesome

That's funny, because when I talk to most people about the movie, his character is the first dislike they mention.

Having said that, I liked the movie. Not as much as FOTR, but a good start to another trilogy. I thought seeing it in HFR/3D was good if a little jarring at first, definitely more immersive and it makes digital characters look spectacular. Seeing it in 2D definitely makes it feel more like part of the LOTR franchise though.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2013-01-09, 11:59 AM #21
Radagast is the ****ing Jar Jar Binks of An Unexpected Journey
2013-01-09, 12:18 PM #22
only Radagast is awesome and very well acted and Jar Jar is a completely pointless bordering on racist tool who makes any scene he is in verge on unwatchable.

and he had probably the best line in the movie "these are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try!"
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-01-09, 1:09 PM #23
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
George Lucas is a completely pointless bordering on racist tool who makes any scene he writes/directs verge on unwatchable.

On the subject of Radagast: idgaf. The Hobbit is supposed to be lighthearted. So was LotR in parts. If you really have a problem with this then thanks, trap sprung, you've never read the books.
2013-01-09, 3:05 PM #24
On the subject of Radagast: idgaf. The Hobbit is supposed to be lighthearted. So was LotR in parts. If you really have a problem with this then thanks, trap sprung, you've never read the books.

Speaking for myself, at least, I did absolutely read the novels, but truth be told I never viewed the Hobbit as a lighthearted read so much a genuine child's book. A fairy tale.

LotR on the other hand, while did have its more lighthearted sections, it was a more mature reader, deeper and better fleshed out.

Going into the Hobbit, I had held onto the faint hope that they might channel the feel of the LOTR movies, rather than work from the child's book aspect. I think they succeeded at doing both, though the evil creatures in general, while some were fairly gruesome and bestial, felt more cartoony. Their take on the Golum/Bilbo riddles was fantastic. I don't have a problem with the Hobbit being lighthearted,, but I had hoped a slightly more mature take. It's not bad at all, its just lighter. It's a matter of taste.
2013-01-09, 3:22 PM #25
Whatever else you think about Radagast, his Quenya was beautiful. Absolutely perfect. First character to speak in one of Tolkien's languages that actually sounded good, & he went far beyond good.
2013-01-10, 11:39 AM #26

The 48fps showing gave me the impression of being somewhat overlit. I am going to see the 24fps showing soon, so I will reserve final judgement until then, but I feel like the differences between shooting 24 and 48 and trying to create an immersive, cinematic aesthetic have been underestimated. I suspect that some people's aversion to the format is less of the 'uncanny valley' thing that people keep throwing out there like it proves their point, and more that filmmakers haven't dialed it in overall. You lose a lot of the traditional artifacts of cinema (the jittery motion blur) and to me, it really highlights any missteps in lighting or composition.

I also hate 3D, so far, because it creates fuzzy and unpleasing bokeh. My eyes are not really a matched pair, though, so maybe it's a personal issue.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2013-01-10, 11:46 AM #27
It is overlit, because there's 1/2 the exposure time for 2x the framerate. This is probably just going to go away as camera sensors get better.
2013-01-10, 2:28 PM #28
Originally posted by Vornskr:
Whatever else you think about Radagast, his Quenya was beautiful. Absolutely perfect. First character to speak in one of Tolkien's languages that actually sounded good, & he went far beyond good.

Well, its because he's a Timelord.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2013-01-11, 1:06 AM #29
I saw it twice, would go see it again. Great, great stuff. For some reason I felt like the most effective use of 3D was the zoom in on the eye in the very final shot.

Also is it me or is Saruman the worst ****ing wizard ever. "No you guys there's certainly no evil force gaining power in the woods, let's not do anything to try and stop it. Welp you guys Sauron has gained too much power we'd better switch sides. Why did anyone put me in charge of things"
2013-01-11, 2:51 AM #30
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1170273']Also is it me or is Saruman the worst ****ing wizard ever. "No you guys there's certainly no evil force gaining power in the woods, let's not do anything to try and stop it."

Saruman always knew that the Necromancer was Sauron. Dol Goldur is close to the Gladden Fields where Isildur lost the ring; Sauron chose it as his fortress so he could search for the ring. Saruman hoped that Sauron's presence would make the ring reveal itself so he could steal it.

Saruman eventually forged his own greater ring of power, and the corruption from the ring is probably why he allied with Sauron in the end. Tolkien wrote that Saruman would have, if left alone, forged his own One Ring.

Evil yes, incompetent no.
2013-01-11, 10:32 AM #31
Originally posted by Emon:

At first the HFR was weird. But after I got used to it, I loved it. Now I notice when a movie isn't HFR- and it annoys me (especially action scenes where it's noticeably more difficult in a non-HFR movie to pick out detail.

I think HFR is the future of movies. People complained when movies added sound, and again when they started being in color. This is no different.

3D, on the other hand, I couldn't care less about. It doesn't make me sick like it does some people, but I just don't think it's necessary. Although I've heard that it's not possible with current technology to have a HFR, non-3D movie.
2013-01-11, 10:39 AM #32
Originally posted by Jep:
I don't have a problem with the Hobbit being lighthearted,, but I had hoped a slightly more mature take. It's not bad at all, its just lighter. It's a matter of taste.

I've heard complaints that there were too many fart and poop jokes. Obviously, these people have no clue what the group dynamic will be like when you get 15 guys camping out together in the woods, without a woman in sight. If anything, the amount of fart and poop jokes was unrealistically low.
2013-01-11, 12:12 PM #33
Originally posted by DSettahr:
I've heard complaints that there were too many fart and poop jokes. Obviously, these people have no clue what the group dynamic will be like when you get 15 guys camping out together in the woods, without a woman in sight. If anything, the amount of fart and poop jokes was unrealistically low.

pretty much this. from the last time we went on tour there is video of me being woken up by bandmates literally farting on my face. Unless there is immediate danger the entire journey in the hobbit would probably have been like that.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-01-11, 5:48 PM #34
Now I notice when a movie isn't HFR- and it annoys me (especially action scenes where it's noticeably more difficult in a non-HFR movie to pick out detail.

Bourne Identity sha

Although I've heard that it's not possible with current technology to have a HFR, non-3D movie.

You definitely can, they just didn't bother showing HFR in non-3D. They were already showing 3D @ 24fps, 3D @ 48fps and 2D @ 24fps and didn't want to bother with another reel. Also, 3D and 48 is how it's "meant" to be seen, the rest are just for theaters not equipped. So no point in upgrading to show 48 if you aren't gonna do 3D as well.
2013-01-11, 6:51 PM #35
I think i need to go re-watch it in 3d. I missed seeing avatar in 3d in theaters, so it would be nice to see a movie that was actually made to be seen in 3d.

would it be worth the price of going to an early morning showing.
2013-01-15, 11:10 PM #36
Actually it was not that bad, but there were some parts that thrilled me a lot.
An E Cigarette is the best smoking alternative.

↑ Up to the top!