Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Deus Ex 2: Invisible War Thread
Deus Ex 2: Invisible War Thread
2003-12-04, 2:18 PM #1
I installed the game a short while ago.

Here are some early impressions:

Technically, the game is still a disaster. Having to play in 640*480 in order to get consistent frame rates is unacceptable (performance is just as bad as in the demo, if not worse). Other technical quirks are annoying as well. The game drops to the desktop for 5 seconds at the beginning of every new level (using Windows XP SP1), which frequently draws me out of the gaming experience. And for some reason, I should be able to adjust video and sound settings as I choose, yet even in the final it's required to do .ini editing for simple things such as enabling Trilinear filtering and detail textures. Not to mention that the game doesn't automatically save new video and control settings. Instead, these are defaulted at each new start-up and only activated when you load your save game. Out of my head I would also wish for a smaller, less awkward looking font.

The graphics are as a whole are quite nice though, just not on the level of the early videos and screenshots. I heard pretty negative things about the physics, but am enjoying them so far. Basketball's don't bounce as they should, but chairs and other objects work realistically.

With all these negative things being said, I must admit I'm still enjoying the game. A lot. The music is excellent and moody, the story is slowly starting to develope (the installation hinted at 5 or 6 different endings by the way) and I simply can not wait to see how Ion Storm included some of the original characters into the new storyline.

Less talking, more playing...
2003-12-04, 2:23 PM #2
Man, I wish I could play that game. Too bad that the game doesn't support Geforce MX cards (those freaking SOBs) so I'll have to wait until I get a new card before I can play the demo (despite the negative things being said about the game)

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-04, 2:30 PM #3
What are your system specs, KnobZ? If you are barely making the requirement cut, then I wouldn't see playing on a low resolution as a problem.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-04, 2:30 PM #4
i've been hearing some pretty negative things, but i preordered it before the demo came out, and so i decided i might as well just get it and see for myself for the full game. and plus, its Deus ex. i have to get it if only to check out the storyline.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2003-12-04, 3:16 PM #5
It's time to wake up, Avenger. The game is a disaster, we have to accept it.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-12-04, 3:24 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
What are your system specs, KnobZ? If you are barely making the requirement cut, then I wouldn't see playing on a low resolution as a problem.
</font>

Currently an Athlon XP 1800+ and a Radeon 9700 Pro.

I can conclude 3 other things about performance:

1) The demo level ran a lot better. Performance was at least bearable in 1024*768.
2) Lowering the quality of shadows and dynamic lighting effects gives a huge speed increase.
3) Geforce FX users and people with better processors aren't having much luck either from what I'm hearing.
2003-12-04, 3:27 PM #7
Bleh. I've got an 1800 and an 8500 128mb edition..

Looks like it's back to lowres and low details for me.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
[12:42] Spork: I wish I knew, coned sucked. owned owns coned and pwned.
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2003-12-04, 4:26 PM #8
I don't understand the attitudes of you (resolution) size queens. I mean, the difference, visually, between 640x480 and 1028x76...whatever is basically negligible. OK, the interface takes up less space, but that's about it.
2003-12-04, 5:16 PM #9
Depends on your monitor size Matt. With my old 14" I couldn't tell the difference between 640x480 and anything above, but you can really tell the difference on bigger monitors. Conversely, I can barely notice the difference when I enable AF or AA so I just leave them off.
2003-12-04, 5:37 PM #10
On my 20" monitor, anything under 1280x1024 doesn't look too great, and 640x480 looks simply terrible. The point is, is that we shouldn't have to run in those low resolutions.

------------------
2003-12-04, 7:54 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
I don't understand the attitudes of you (resolution) size queens. I mean, the difference, visually, between 640x480 and 1028x76...whatever is basically negligible. OK, the interface takes up less space, but that's about it.</font>

....er...a hell of a lot of people these days have 17 inch or larger monitors. I personally have a 19 inch CRT which is really nothing special (19 inch CRTs are actually quite cheap these days thanks to the LCD fad) and I would sooner gargle razor blades than play a game at 640x480, it is indescribably ugly.

This is not me being elitist, this is me not wanting my eyes to hurt.

You could blame me for buying a large monitor but the main problem with Deus Ex 2 is that it is nowhere NEAR pretty enough graphically to justify such a performance hit like that - this is just sloppy coding, plain and simple.

I really hope they look into a patch to address it.

------------------

Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-04, 10:45 PM #12
Hah, we have to wait until February for the game to hit stores in Europe. Funny.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2003-12-04, 10:54 PM #13
It's not really their fault that the game doesn't work on GF4 MX cards. Every card manufactured since the GeForce 3 has been DirectX 8 compliant.... except the GF4 MX. It's not unreasonable to exclude cards that share a feature set with a GeForce 2.

And I warned people not to get them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Also, I have a 22" monitor. If I can't play a game at 1280x960, minimum, I don't play it. Period.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited December 05, 2003).]
2003-12-04, 11:18 PM #14
I have a 17" LCD monitor and I hate resolutions lower than 1280x1024. It just looks awful.

------------------
~amor sui~
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2003-12-05, 12:18 AM #15
Well, I have a 13" monitor and I always play in 640x480. It's rare that I'll go above that resolution unless I KNOW the game will run without a hitch (I run half-life at 800x600). Because my monitor is small, 640x480 doesn't look too bad. I'm too use to it to ever desire to go bigger. I guess when I FINALLY get a new monitor (which would be either a 17" or 19"), I might consider going up to 800x600, only if my video card can handle that.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-05, 1:12 AM #16
I have a 17' monitor myself. Sure, there's a slight difference, but it's certainly not worth the performance hit. OK, it helps get rid of the "jaggies" but, personally, I've been in a timeline where they've always existed, so it's not like I'm gonna spend heaps of money on computers to get rid of them or anything...
2003-12-05, 1:18 AM #17
Quote:
OK, it helps get rid of the "jaggies" but, personally, I've been in a timeline where they've always existed</font>

It makes me sad that only 1 or 2 people here might get that comment [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------

Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-05, 1:27 AM #18
From what Im hearing, the framerate SUCKS, but once you swallow your pride, set down the details and play the actual game, you can see that this is one of the best RPGs Ever made.. Now, this is just what Im hearing from people and review sites, I havent played it myself, but I might pick it up today

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-05, 9:19 AM #19
I just got this game along with need for speed underground.

I can run NFSU at 1280x1024 (It wont go any higher..) with 6xFSAA and 16xAF and it runs great. It looks fantastic too, I would not expect this to run as fast as it does!

Deus Ex: Invisible war, however, runs terrible. I can run it at 800x600 and get a bearable framerate. 800x600 however is ugly. I want to run it at 1600x1200 but nooo I cant do that. I get about 7fps! Thats on a 9800 Pro. *sigh* As for the actual game. I havn't played it properly yet.. been addicted to NFSU [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-12-05, 9:37 AM #20
Oh get over yourselves and your holier-than-thou comps. I run a p700 celeron, 192 MB SDRAM, Radeon 7500 LE 64MB and run most games, including UT2k3, Q3, and CS, at 800x600, which suits me fine. I'd like larger resolutions, but it won't kill you to go a little lower for this obviously awesome game. Yeesh.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2003-12-05, 10:03 AM #21
Quote:
OK, it helps get rid of the "jaggies" but, personally, I've been in a timeline where they've always existed, so it's not like I'm gonna spend heaps of money on computers to get rid of them or anything...</font>

I love you so much.

But, seriously, we have hardware antialiasing now. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2003-12-05, 10:04 AM #22
Guess I'll get the the Xbox version of Deus Ex: Invisble War. My PC sucks and and can barely run graphics heavy games. Thats why I got Xbox.

------------------
Long live the United States of America.

[This message has been edited by Patriot (edited December 05, 2003).]
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2003-12-05, 10:05 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I'd like larger resolutions, but it won't kill you to go a little lower for this obviously awesome game. Yeesh.</font>

Little hint for you: Running at low resolutions on a large monitor produces thick black bars between the pixels. It looks so nasty it isn't funny, and it gets worse the bigger you go. Having a larger monitor doesn't just produce a larger image, it requires you to run at a higher resolution along with it.

You should see how hideous DOS looks on this thing. Thank God Linux lets you change the console resolution.
2003-12-05, 10:05 AM #24
Again, you miss the point. You shouldn't have to run it at such low resolutions with a high end computer, it's the developer's fault. What you're saying is no different than, "Oh please give up your decent expectations for the game, you have to stop being so arrogant and play the game, it doesn't matter if it sucks, it's your fault!" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

And Jon, the GF3 was DX7, and the Ti's were DX8, so they claim, but it was probably more pseudo-DX8.

------------------
2003-12-05, 10:33 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
And Jon, the GF3 was DX7, and the Ti's were DX8, so they claim, but it was probably more pseudo-DX8.

</font>

I fail to see why you say this... performance maybe? Hell if I know. But the GF3 is DX8...

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2003-12-05, 10:54 AM #26
Yeah...

GeForce3 - Dx8.0

GeForce4 - DX8.1

Geforce FX - Dx9.0 (cough)

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2003-12-05, 12:55 PM #27
Because the original GF3 was only DirectX 7, and the Ti's claimed to be 8. But I always suspected it was more, "Hey, it works in DX8, so let's put "DirectX 8 compliant!" on the box to keep up with the Radeon 8500, because people are stupid and will think it's better." They came out with it so fast, could they have even added support for everything new in DX8? Did DX8 even have anything new?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited December 05, 2003).]
2003-12-05, 1:08 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Oh get over yourselves and your holier-than-thou comps. I run a p700 celeron, 192 MB SDRAM, Radeon 7500 LE 64MB and run most games, including UT2k3, Q3, and CS, at 800x600, which suits me fine. I'd like larger resolutions, but it won't kill you to go a little lower for this obviously awesome game. Yeesh.</font>

'A little lower', hahaha.....go try 640x480 on a 19+ inch monitor and then tell me you won't go cross-eyed playing at that. Deus Ex doesn't look any better than UT2K3 yet computers that run that game into the ground CHOKE TO DEATH on DX2.

Instead of making pointless snide comments at people simply because they have better computers than you, realise they have reason to complain. This game's visuals are horribly horribly coded.
"The moral of the story? No means no, especially when it comes to the English language. It's not into the kinky stuff you want it to do, and therefore you should not force it." - Darko
2003-12-05, 1:28 PM #29
Actually, I think it looks better than UT2K3. Especially if you turn on detail textures and do some other INI tweaks. You have to admit, the lighting is fantastic. But it all looked better before the engine rewrite, and ran better, too. And they took out bumpmapping. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------

↑ Up to the top!