Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Breakthrough in running JK on modern computers.
Breakthrough in running JK on modern computers.
2013-01-26, 9:47 PM #1
I need people to test this.
Put a batch file with the following into the JK directory and run it. The screen will start blank, you should be able to alt tab out and then back in to see the menu, in full screen on Win7+ systems. This fix bypasses the normal DDRAW.DLL fix.
Here's the code (Credit to GOG.com)
Code:
@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start /wait jk.exe
start C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Append -windowgui if you feel like it. This also works with MotS.

Note: I have found that this makes Starcraft, Fallout, Fallout 2, and many other seemingly broken games work on Windows 7.

What I need from you:
I need people to test this, on varying systems. Specifically Windows 8, which doesn't work with the DDRAW.DLL fix to my knowledge. For testing purpose please remove the DDRAW.DLL fix, and then run the batch file.
Please report to me the following:
Windows Version, with CPU type.
Video Card
If the old DDRAW.DLL fix worked or not.
If this fix worked or not.

Test as much as you can, with virtual machines if possible as well.

What works:
Core i5, Windows 7 x64, Intel HD4000.
2013-01-27, 12:11 AM #2
So this should work with a untouched steam copy?

o.0
2013-01-27, 12:12 AM #3
Try it. I have no idea what it works or doesn't work with, that's why I want to get some wide testing input.
2013-01-27, 12:38 AM #4
I would imagine that it'll work, as this is exactly what I do to run TIE Fighter. The problem comes from the older games not knowing how to hide the newer taskbars.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-01-27, 12:48 AM #5
"jedi knight requires that your screen is set to at least 256 colors"

windows 8 64bit, i5 2500k, AMD 6850

o.0
2013-01-27, 1:03 AM #6
Well ****, try it with windowgui and the ddraw.dll fix i guess.
Also try digging up a retail copy.
2013-01-27, 12:16 PM #7
JK works fine on Win8 for me with the ddraw fix, though I can never get more than 30 fps. Not sure if that's related.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-01-27, 1:06 PM #8
I just put together a stock JK install from the original 1997 discs. Everything works on my Win8 x64 machine except for 3D acceleration, which shows a blank screen. No windowgui or anything like that. This fix doesn't help.
2013-01-27, 5:39 PM #9
Software mode is probably limited to 30 fps.
Goddamn, I was really hoping this would allow it to work on win8 native, at least it fixes some win7 issues I guess.
2013-01-27, 5:52 PM #10
Perhaps metro is causing problems, does anyone know how to disable it?
2013-01-27, 6:06 PM #11
Originally posted by Tibby:
Perhaps metro is causing problems, does anyone know how to disable it?
If the CEOs of HP, Dell, Lenovo and Acer couldn't get a good answer when they said this exact same sentence, I'm thinking you might be out of luck.
2013-01-27, 7:34 PM #12
UUUuuuuuugggghh Ballmer strikes again!
2013-01-27, 11:58 PM #13
Software mode is probably limited to 30 fps.

It's not, that's with 3D acceleration on. Software goes well over 100.

Goddamn, I was really hoping this would allow it to work on win8 native, at least it fixes some win7 issues I guess.

Other than running at 30 fps (which may well be a driver issue) Win8 is better than Vista or 7 for me. No more windowgui. If you are still having this much of an issue, just go use a VM.
2013-01-28, 1:29 AM #14
The problem is VMs are spotty too, and I was really hoping Win8 native would work. Oh well!
2013-01-28, 10:40 AM #15
Which hypervisor? To my knowledge VirtualBox and VMware Workstation both do hardware acceleration. VirtualBox may actually resolve some issues due to it being a gigantic hack made with the Wine D3D -> OpenGL code.
2013-01-28, 11:26 AM #16
Well no, you're right VMware works fantastically, but not on OSX (why can't anything be simple)
A VMware XP will do it, but I've got an obsession with running things native.
2013-01-28, 5:01 PM #17
Well I was able to test win8 myself, and can confirm emons findings.

↑ Up to the top!