Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → On a scale of 1 to shrimp, how much shrimp is too much shrimp?
On a scale of 1 to shrimp, how much shrimp is too much shrimp?
2013-01-28, 8:51 PM #1
Hello massassifriends. My journies into healthy eating continue - you may recall a thread in which I inquired into the health benefits and/or risks involved with consuming mass amounts of club soda. I am pleased to report that the delightful fizziness of club soda appears not to have harmed me, and as such I have pressed onward to exploring more exotic foodstuffs from the underwater kingdom.

Here is a sideways picture of the box the shrimp came in. Actually it's a bag.

My questions are basically about the possible side effects of eating delicious shrimps. I cannot overstate this. THEY ARE SO GOOD. Yessir, shrimp are a smooth ride anyway you slice it.

But back to the danger zone. Do you think anything will happen to me if I eat a bag of shrimp five or six days a week? Like maybe I could die? Or turn into a shrimp? Or become a fatty fatterkins? Google describes shrimp as "high in cholesterol" but maybe they're like eggs which also have cholesterol but are super-good for you?

Here is a picture of the sauce I garnished my shrimp with.

So in addition to answering our health questions I thought that this could also be a celebration of shrimp. Do you have a special shrimp-related story that you have always wanted to tell but could never find a socially acceptable moment to bring up? Now's your chance! Maybe you're a brave shrimpman out on the seven seas, the grizzled veteran of many a shrimphaul? Regale us with tales of your adventure! Or perhaps you have had a chance encounter with a famous celebrity shrimp, like that singing one from Disney's "The Little Mermaid"? Tell us your story!

In closing, let me leave you with a picture of the delicious shrimp I just ate like five minutes ago. Goodnight, and good shrimp!

Here is a picture of the delicious shrimp I just ate like five minutes ago.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-01-28, 9:14 PM #2
SHrimp are ****ing rad and if you disagree you can seriously **** right off
2013-01-28, 9:14 PM #3
you might turn into one, Tracebuddy, though
2013-01-28, 9:26 PM #4
If you eat farm raised shrimp from Thailand or China you will die a slow and painful death and then rot in Hell for all eternity. At least that's the hippy bullcrap spouted by some people who come into my store.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2013-01-28, 9:35 PM #5
Originally posted by saberopus:
SHrimp are ****ing rad and if you disagree you can seriously **** right off

What this guy said. Protip on shrimp (and all shellfish for that matter): The smaller they are, the better the meat will be.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-28, 9:37 PM #6
I think the rule with food in general is: if you find yourself needing to ask someone whether you're eating too much of something, you probably are.
2013-01-28, 9:47 PM #7
mb will never know because he doesnt ask.
2013-01-28, 11:08 PM #8
One time Antony and I fed each other shrimp while sitting in a hot tub on the deck of Tracer's yacht. Damn Trace do you remember that.
2013-01-28, 11:28 PM #9
Shrimp & grits. My job here is done.

Note: The French mostly eat cool or room temperature shrimp (usually on a slice of cocktail bread with butter & lemon) which I haven't yet acquired an affinity for.
? :)
2013-01-29, 12:17 AM #10
hey tracer, the ocean called; they're running out of shrimp
Quote Originally Posted by Chaz Ghostle
some gay men prefer to have partners with smaller, softer bodies[. . .]It really all comes down to what you like.
2013-01-29, 12:27 AM #11
Extra shrimp on the barbie for you.

Come and say G'day!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-01-29, 1:19 AM #12
I was eating more shrimp in my diet for similar reasons, and started making a lot of fettuccine shrimp alfredo. Winter's been too cold for me to want it lately, though. I need to learn how to make hot shrimp dishes.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-01-29, 7:40 AM #13
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
If you eat farm raised shrimp from Thailand or China you will die a slow and painful death and then rot in Hell for all eternity. At least that's the hippy bullcrap spouted by some people who come into my store.

The hippy bullcrap is pretty much correct. Shrimp farming in south east Asia has been ridiculously destructive.
2013-01-29, 9:08 AM #14
If I could slip into a bathtub of shrimp every morning, I would, without hesitation. I would then proceed to eat them until they were all gone. That includes the ones that were around my crotch and ass, that is how much I love shrimp.
Though I have heard that the more you consume shellfish the higher your chances are to becoming allergic to it. In fact, I have two siblings who developed shellfish allergies after eating shrimp on a regular basis. Whether this happened as a result of regular consumption or was brought on by other factors, I don't really know.
Here's a thing.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/allergies/food-allergy/shellfish/sudden-allergy-to-shellfish.htm
My blawgh.
2013-01-29, 11:07 AM #15
Quote:
Though I have heard that the more you consume shellfish the higher your chances are to becoming allergic to it.

OH GOD NO
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-01-29, 1:47 PM #16
Well, from everything I am finding... As long as you are not allergic to shellfish, shrimp is actually fairly good for you. A "large" shrimp only has around 8 1/2 calories It CAN raise cholesterol a bit, but It is very low fat, high protein, high omega 3 fatty acid. I you have heart problems or high cholesterol to begin with, then eating a lot of shrimp is probably not a great idea. I don't really know the intricacies of LDL Vs. HDL or if any of that is even true or makes any difference, but shrimp will raise HDL (the "good" kind) far more than LDL ("bad" kind).
so yeah... if you are not allergic and have a relatively healthy heart... you are probably safe to eat away!

As far as farm raised Vs. wild, I have no idea. I dont know if there have been any legitimate studies on exactly what the difference in what you are consuming and how it can affect you.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-01-29, 4:46 PM #17
I wanted to rain on your parade and say you will die of mercury poisoning, but unfortunately shrimp are pretty much the bottom of the food chain and don't accumulate much mercury. Lucky for you. Just stay the hell away from sword fish.

2013-01-29, 5:56 PM #18
First of all, swordfish is ****ing worth it. Second, that plate doesn't have enough shrimp on it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-01-29, 6:02 PM #19
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
First of all, swordfish is ****ing worth it.

confirmed
2013-01-29, 6:17 PM #20
I've spent years of my life smoking cigs and abusing alcohol. If the mercury gets me, it deserves it.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-30, 8:23 AM #21
I really like tuna (these days at least, for several years I really detested the stuff) even though I don't eat it as much during non-winter seasons (wow, way to consume vitamin D at times when the sun's quite worthless for that purpose). This thread has inspired me to check out what shrimp tastes like. But alas, it's probably gonna be tough to beat those 0.66 EUR (~0.90 USD) tuna cans price-wise.
2013-01-30, 12:18 PM #22
whoa! dang how big of a can of tuna is that??? that is a great price!

but yes... shrimp is worth it.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-01-30, 7:04 PM #23
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I really like tuna (these days at least, for several years I really detested the stuff) even though I don't eat it as much during non-winter seasons (wow, way to consume vitamin D at times when the sun's quite worthless for that purpose). This thread has inspired me to check out what shrimp tastes like. But alas, it's probably gonna be tough to beat those 0.66 EUR (~0.90 USD) tuna cans price-wise.

I don't understand currency translations until I know how much it is in Liberty Dollars.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-30, 11:35 PM #24
probably something like this
2013-01-31, 1:31 AM #25
Yeah, according to the can it weighs 185 g of which 140 grams are tuna. Infomungous!

Antony, they cost 0.90 Liberty Dollars per can price-wise.
2013-01-31, 1:53 AM #26
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Antony, they cost 0.90 Liberty Dollars per can price-wise.

Thanks, pal. I was confused.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-31, 1:57 AM #27
Any time!
2013-01-31, 9:01 AM #28
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
probably something like this

No, I have it on good authority the tuna is this:

2013-01-31, 9:24 AM #29
Did someone say tuna?

>>untie shoes