Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Disney CEO Confirms Standalone SW Films
Disney CEO Confirms Standalone SW Films
2013-02-06, 7:25 AM #1
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Disney_CEO_Confirms_Standalone_SW_Films_150115.asp

The big rumor leading up to this was about a standalone Yoda film.

Thoughts?
2013-02-06, 8:15 AM #2
I would like standalone Star Wars movies about characters we haven't seen before, seeing how much the Prequels ruined Yoda.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2013-02-06, 8:22 AM #3
I'm thinking this is a guaranteed Boba Fett movie.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2013-02-06, 8:32 AM #4
You're a great example of a particular niche of fan base thinking their favorite thing is what the entire world loves, but really doesn't care about at all.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-02-06, 8:36 AM #5
Boba Fett works the best when he has only 0-2 lines in the film.

Hence the only viable option is going to be Jar-Jar's Very First Big Movie.

This guy should play him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDAnEqcObpg
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-02-06, 8:37 AM #6
Without question.
>>untie shoes
2013-02-06, 8:46 AM #7
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I'm thinking this is a guaranteed Boba Fett movie.

Wasn't there one released in 2008 under the title 'Ironman'? :P
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-02-06, 9:42 AM #8
Small note people might have missed: Lawrence Kasdan is writing one of them.

Lawrence Kasdan is the guy who wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (a.k.a. "the good ones"). Lawrence Kasdan is also the guy who also wrote Shadows of the Empire and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This is very good news.
2013-02-06, 10:21 AM #9
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Small note people might have missed: Lawrence Kasdan is writing one of them.

Lawrence Kasdan is the guy who wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (a.k.a. "the good ones"). Lawrence Kasdan is also the guy who also wrote Shadows of the Empire and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This is very good news.

Shadows of the Empire was written by Steve Perry (unless you're talking about the game). But Kasdan does have a good track record except for Dreamcatcher.

There is also rumor of standalone Young Han Solo and Boba Fett movies.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2013-02-06, 10:45 AM #10
Hans back story was great when it was limited to just the Han Solo Adventures. Those novels were just enough of a glimpse into his pre-ANH life to provide entertaining stories without revealing too much detail. Hans past is a lot more interesting when it's shrouded in mystery and largely left to the imagination.

The AC Crispin books ruined all that, though. When every single detail of Hans past, from when he was a small child to right before he walked into the Cantina, is known in explicit detail, it ruins the sense of wonder.

That's the problem with what the EU has become in general... there is nothing left to tell about any of the main Original Trilogy characters, no time frame in which to fit a story. Some of the best EU books have been about new characters (like the X-Wing books).

Although, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a Rogue Squadron mini-series, set between ANH and ESB. You'd have to re-cast Luke, and be careful not to let his presence overshadow the rest of the Squadron, but it's got potential.

Speaking of which, a Wedge movie would also be great.

EDIT: Should we start petitioning for a Kyle Katarn Movie?
2013-02-06, 11:21 AM #11
I could totally be down with an EU film, bearing in mind that part of the OT's charm is that it doesn't include random bull**** force powers that people make up for the book.
nope.
2013-02-06, 11:39 AM #12
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Shadows of the Empire was written by Steve Perry (unless you're talking about the game). But Kasdan does have a good track record except for Dreamcatcher.

There is also rumor of standalone Young Han Solo and Boba Fett movies.
The SotE "multimedia project" treatment was written by Kasdan. Different people wrote the novel, comic book, and video game script.

Originally posted by DSettahr:
Although, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a Rogue Squadron mini-series, set between ANH and ESB. You'd have to re-cast Luke, and be careful not to let his presence overshadow the rest of the Squadron, but it's got potential.

I want them to make movies out of the X-Wing (novel) series. Dark Forces movies would be p swell too. My real hope isn't about movies though, it's that Disney will start making OT games ("good games") again.
2013-02-06, 11:59 AM #13
X-Wing or the Thrawn series (maybe with less Dark Jedi bullcrap) would be interesting.
2013-02-06, 5:25 PM #14
Screw X-Wing, make a movie about the TIE fighter storyline.

Also, Kyle Katarn, you know you want it.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2013-02-06, 8:40 PM #15
I think part of what made TIE Fighter so enjoyable was that it really skirted the issue of being the bad guy. Fighting the Rebellion was a very small part of the game- instead you spent most of the time fighting an insurgency within the Empire, that was probably just as evil as the Empire itself. Made it that much easier to believe that the protagonist of TIE fighter (Marek Steele) was really a good guy at heart.

But yeah, a movie based on the TIE Fighter game would rock.
2013-02-06, 10:54 PM #16
http://collider.com/star-wars-han-solo-movie-boba-fett-movie-spinoff/

So the first two are apparently going to focus on young Han Solo, and Boba Fett. Who wants to bet that some of the directors that were being considered for Episode 8 will be helming these movies? Because, really, Ben Affleck could direct the hell out of a Boba Fett movie. No one would ever have to complain about it not being gritty. The only downside is that Boba Fett would end up with a shamrock somewhere on his armor and a southie accent.
>>untie shoes
2013-02-06, 11:06 PM #17
Dsettahr, your Massassi nerd credibility is still strong after all these years.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-07, 11:39 AM #18
A young Han film needs to never happen. Ever.

Knowing his backstory would ruin the character.
nope.
2013-02-07, 4:51 PM #19
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The SotE "multimedia project" treatment was written by Kasdan. Different people wrote the novel, comic book, and video game script.

Odd. I've never seen Kasdan's name in regards to Shadows of the Empire until now. Secrets of Shadows of the Empire by Mark Cotta Vaz quotes Perry: "Ultimately, the outline I wrote from those notes [during the meetings] became the template from which everything was to be constructed, and the book itself was the foundation, with parallel story lines running in the various media." There is no mention of Kasdan at all.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2013-02-07, 4:57 PM #20
the elusive Mr. Robot strikes again...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-02-07, 5:16 PM #21
Originally posted by Mr. Robot:
Odd. I've never seen Kasdan's name in regards to Shadows of the Empire until now. Secrets of Shadows of the Empire by Mark Cotta Vaz quotes Perry: "Ultimately, the outline I wrote from those notes [during the meetings] became the template from which everything was to be constructed, and the book itself was the foundation, with parallel story lines running in the various media." There is no mention of Kasdan at all.

He has a writing credit according to imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158208/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers

imdb could be wrong. no idea how we'd check that though.
2013-02-07, 6:06 PM #22
I saw the reference to the video game on his imdb page yesterday after your post. Funny, though, according to the page you linked to we would now have to give equal writing accolades to George Lucas for Shadows. I find this to be quite trivial anyway as Kasdan's name is certainly attached to some very well received projects so whether or not he had any involvement in a multimedia project from the middle nineties is irrelevant.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2013-02-07, 8:33 PM #23
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
the elusive Mr. Robot strikes again...

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-08, 1:12 PM #24
I wonder if Kasdan is listed as a writer because they incorporated ESB elements into the Shadows of the Empire story? Dash fighting with the rebellion at Hoth, etc.
2013-02-08, 9:15 PM #25
I wonder if Kasdan is listed as a writer because they incorporated ESB elements into the Shadows of the Empire story? Dash fighting with the rebellion at Hoth, etc.

I was thinking along similar lines. It's like how Shane Black is credited as a writer on Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 even though he had exactly nothing to do with either of them other than coming up with the characters Riggs and Murtaugh.
>>untie shoes
2013-02-08, 9:39 PM #26
me and some friends were throwing around ideas of who should direct standalone SW films based on various SW characters

i said they should make a Republic Commando film and have James Cameron do it

i suggested Rian Johnson for Boba Fett...

then someone said "who should direct a yoda film?" and that had us all stumped

sadly they all looked at me funny when i mentioned a Kyle Katarn film... and suggested Joe Johnston as a director
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-02-08, 10:37 PM #27
Nicholas Winding Refn should do Yoda.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2013-02-09, 10:24 AM #28
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
suggested Joe Johnston as a director

Jumanji was actually really scary to me when I watched it as a kid.
2013-02-09, 10:50 PM #29
Originally posted by Emon:
You're a great example of a particular niche of fan base thinking their favorite thing is what the entire world loves, but really doesn't care about at all.

You're a great example of wrong.

Originally posted by Antony:
http://collider.com/star-wars-han-solo-movie-boba-fett-movie-spinoff/

So the first two are apparently going to focus on young Han Solo, and Boba Fett. Who wants to bet that some of the directors that were being considered for Episode 8 will be helming these movies? Because, really, Ben Affleck could direct the hell out of a Boba Fett movie. No one would ever have to complain about it not being gritty. The only downside is that Boba Fett would end up with a shamrock somewhere on his armor and a southie accent.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2013-02-09, 11:57 PM #30
I'm sure glad Disney is working on all these TODOA sequels. Props!
2013-02-10, 1:53 AM #31
Hans back story was great when it was limited to just the Han Solo Adventures. Those novels were just enough of a glimpse into his pre-ANH life to provide entertaining stories without revealing too much detail. Hans past is a lot more interesting when it's shrouded in mystery and largely left to the imagination.

The AC Crispin books ruined all that, though. When every single detail of Hans past, from when he was a small child to right before he walked into the Cantina, is known in explicit detail, it ruins the sense of wonder.

That's the problem with what the EU has become in general... there is nothing left to tell about any of the main Original Trilogy characters, no time frame in which to fit a story. Some of the best EU books have been about new characters (like the X-Wing books).

I would cry myself to sleep with tears of joy if they made an X-Wing series' based movie. I am completely on-board with you, much better to have lesser known characters or original characters, perhaps propped up loosely by original or made characters from the movies, than to continuously expand upon existing characters so that those characters actually end up boring because you've read so much about them!
2013-02-10, 5:06 AM #32
I can't even remember most of the SW comics I read back in the day, but I seem to have made up this image that Boba Fett didn't speak that much in them either - or at least, he didn't say much in the better ones. Probably not true, but eh.

Oh well.
2013-02-10, 5:53 AM #33
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
You're a great example of wrong.

Fiver says that a Boba Fett film ends up being "The Punisher, in space".
nope.
2013-02-10, 9:25 AM #34
They could also actually make Splinter of the Mind's Eye- the ANH movie sequel that almost was, then wasn't. Splinter was the planned low-budget follow up to ANH. No Harrison Ford and a single planet with swamp terrain that would be easy to film on a sound stage meant for a film that could be made cheaply. Then ANH succeeded beyond anyone's wildest predictions, and we got ESB, a high budget sequel even better than the original, instead.

Of course, given what we know about the Skywalker family now, this would make Luke's lusting after Leia for the entire story pretty awkward.

↑ Up to the top!