Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 103

Thread: North Korea does a thing: 2013 edition.

  1. #1
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497

    North Korea does a thing: 2013 edition.

    Backstory: North Korea is a ****hole run by a despotic ruler, hereafter referred to as "Comrade Fat"

    Recently they tried to launch a satellite, it didn't pan out so well! Then they launched a missile near Japan, it also didn't work so well and they got slapped by the world at large.
    Today they (possibly, it hasn't been confirmed) detonated a test nuclear weapon.

    I mostly made this thread as an excuse to post that gif, but feel free to begin armchair geopolitics chat.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    sometimes i like to go on googlemaps and look at north korea
    COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

  4. #4
    About to lose his freedom
    Posts
    3,772
    North Korea is probably great for star gazing! maybe... i donno, what is the climate typically like there? clear or overcast?
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

  5. #5
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497
    Death.

  6. #6
    About to lose his freedom
    Posts
    3,772
    Know what i bet North Korea would be a much better place if they just listened to more Andrew W.K.
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

  7. #7
    Clean-Shaven and Baby-Smooth
    Posts
    2,485
    Given the latitude and the proximity to china, I'm betting NK is rainy and cloudy.

    -I do often wonder, though, what it will be like when they finally collapse and crack open and we get photos of the country interior. Like all those creepy russian pictures...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Given the latitude and the proximity to china, I'm betting NK is rainy and cloudy.

    -I do often wonder, though, what it will be like when they finally collapse and crack open and we get photos of the country interior. Like all those creepy russian pictures...
    Torture chambers...mass graves...

  9. #9
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497
    Mods namechange to "Comrade Fat" Please

  10. #10
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497
    Moooooooooooodddsssssss

  11. #11
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    This thread does not deliver.
    >>untie shoes

  12. #12
    Not the senator.r
    Posts
    7,191
    tibby pls
    DO NOT WANT.

  13. #13
    Child's Play CharityGoY's Pessimistic Soy Boy Toy
    Posts
    17,363
    Kim Jong Ill could have taught the boy how to bandstand a little better without cratering the country, eh?
    ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
    ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Given the latitude and the proximity to china, I'm betting NK is rainy and cloudy.

    -I do often wonder, though, what it will be like when they finally collapse and crack open and we get photos of the country interior. Like all those creepy russian pictures...
    There are plenty of pictures of the DPRK

    Not to be a DPRK apologist, but I love how so many people in the US mocked the DPRK for a rocket launch failure:

    Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/v/CEFNjL86y9c

    Last edited by TSM_Bguitar; 02-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.

  15. #15
    Of course we have accidents. But as they even said in that video, we have over a 90% success rate, and our rockets are a hell of a lot more powerful than the ones North Korea is trying to launch.

  16. #16
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    A North Korea rocket test launch is what we (in America) call the 4th of July.
    >>untie shoes

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post

    Not to be a DPRK apologist, but I love how so many people in the US mocked the DPRK for a rocket launch failure:
    Yeah, never mind the fact that we landed a man on the moon nearly 50 years ago.

  18. #18
    About to lose his freedom
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash_rendar View Post
    Yeah, never mind the fact that we landed a man on the moon nearly 50 years ago.
    dude... totally faked!
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

  19. #19
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash_rendar View Post
    Yeah, never mind the fact that we landed a man on the moon nearly 50 years ago.
    The fact that you stopped is worthy of mocking.

  20. #20
    Not really, no point in going to the moon right now (other than as an eventual stepping stone elsewhere). Mars however...

  21. #21

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash_rendar View Post
    Yeah, never mind the fact that we landed a man on the moon nearly 50 years ago.
    The DPRK was certainly in no position to be able to do that at that point (although at that point in history, it was much more economically better off than the South)

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    The DPRK was certainly in no position to be able to do that at that point (although at that point in history, it was much more economically better off than the South)
    One could argue they're in no position to do it now either, but they're trying to doing it anyway

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Matty View Post
    One could argue they're in no position to do it now either, but they're trying to doing it anyway
    I was talking more about their capacity then versus now. Clearly their capacity to achieve these things has increased.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    I was talking more about their capacity then versus now. Clearly their capacity to achieve these things has increased.
    At the expense of their own population, maybe.

  26. #26
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497
    NK can barely get a satellite in orbit, let alone keep it there.
    They couldn't land a man on the moon given a decade to do it.

    E: Sputnik was literally more successful.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Matty View Post
    At the expense of their own population, maybe.
    The same could be said of any nation developing its military though

    Quote Originally Posted by Tibby
    E: Sputnik was literally more successful.
    Of course, and the USSR at that time had plenty of ability to do these things. It's silly to compare them to the DPRK which is a small, blockaded country.

  28. #28
    About to lose his freedom
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    the DPRK which is a small, blockaded country.
    thats one rather kindly way of putting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    The same could be said of any nation developing its military though
    lil bit of a difference there though... on a scale of 1 to genocide N.K. falls somewhere between negligent despotism and intentional starvation.
    Last edited by Darth_Alran; 02-15-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    The same could be said of any nation developing its military though

    Of course, and the USSR at that time had plenty of ability to do these things. It's silly to compare them to the DPRK which is a small, blockaded country.
    Gee, it's almost as if any normal country doesn't attempt space flight until they have the means to do so!

    North Korea is in no position to be attempting for anything in space. All they want is a long range missile so they can threaten themselves out of their blockade.

  30. #30
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,379
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    a small, blockaded country.
    Which allocates most of its arable land to heroin production and routinely abducts useful people from the streets of other countries because they have developed no means of developing essential skills domestically

  31. #31

  32. #32
    ALL GLORY TO THE CONTEST WINNER

    Posts
    17,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Given the latitude and the proximity to china, I'm betting NK is rainy and cloudy.

    -I do often wonder, though, what it will be like when they finally collapse and crack open and we get photos of the country interior. Like all those creepy russian pictures...
    Going by MASH, it looks a lot like Northern California.

  33. #33
    I though MASH was shot in Hawaii?
    COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

  34. #34
    Child's Play Charity"You Would Have Been BALEETED..."
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Which allocates most of its arable land to heroin production and routinely abducts useful people from the streets of other countries because they have developed no means of developing essential skills domestically
    I'm not sure what TSM_Bguitar is trying to say, other than that North Korea isn't as bad as everyone says it is! The nature of NK's military investment is the same as "any nation developing its military"!

    But seeing as its TSM_Bguitar, it makes total sense.
    "His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

    "None knows what the new day shall bring him"

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by mscbuck View Post
    I'm not sure what TSM_Bguitar is trying to say, other than that North Korea isn't as bad as everyone says it is! The nature of NK's military investment is the same as "any nation developing its military"!

    But seeing as its TSM_Bguitar, it makes total sense.
    My point is that a lot of the things that people like to point out about North Korea can be applied to various other places. The aggressiveness, the development of military at the expense of the people, etc. are all characteristics of capitalist states that are overlooked as long as there's "freedom"

  36. #36
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,379
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    My point is that a lot of the things that people like to point out about North Korea can be applied to various other places. The aggressiveness, the development of military at the expense of the people, etc. are all characteristics of capitalist states that are overlooked as long as there's "freedom"
    Aggressiveness, development of military at the expense of people, etc. are all things that come in degrees.

    For example: The United States spends 3.2% of its gross domestic product on its military. North Korea spends 33.9%.

  37. #37
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    How much does Iran spend on photoshopping pictures of fighter jets?
    >>untie shoes

  38. #38
    Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

    Posts
    12,497
    Are... are you actually an NK apologist.
    jesus ****

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
    Are... are you actually an NK apologist.
    jesus ****
    I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I'm not

  40. #40
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,379
    Considering how bad the DPRK is, yeah, you sort of are.

    Now I'm not a Nazi apologist or anything, but it's not like they killed every Jew in Europe. Furthermore,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •