Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → North Korea does a thing: 2013 edition.
North Korea does a thing: 2013 edition.
2013-02-11, 9:04 PM #1
Backstory: North Korea is a ****hole run by a despotic ruler, hereafter referred to as "Comrade Fat"
[http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1885uk77vqanfgif/original.gif]
Recently they tried to launch a satellite, it didn't pan out so well! Then they launched a missile near Japan, it also didn't work so well and they got slapped by the world at large.
Today they (possibly, it hasn't been confirmed) detonated a test nuclear weapon.

I mostly made this thread as an excuse to post that gif, but feel free to begin armchair geopolitics chat.
2013-02-11, 10:07 PM #2
[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/KoreaAtNight20121205_NASA.png]
2013-02-11, 10:42 PM #3
sometimes i like to go on googlemaps and look at north korea
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-11, 11:00 PM #4
North Korea is probably great for star gazing! maybe... i donno, what is the climate typically like there? clear or overcast?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-02-11, 11:31 PM #5
Death.
2013-02-11, 11:32 PM #6
Know what i bet North Korea would be a much better place if they just listened to more Andrew W.K.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-02-12, 1:03 AM #7
Given the latitude and the proximity to china, I'm betting NK is rainy and cloudy.

-I do often wonder, though, what it will be like when they finally collapse and crack open and we get photos of the country interior. Like all those creepy russian pictures...
2013-02-12, 1:45 AM #8
Originally posted by Jarl:
Given the latitude and the proximity to china, I'm betting NK is rainy and cloudy.

-I do often wonder, though, what it will be like when they finally collapse and crack open and we get photos of the country interior. Like all those creepy russian pictures...

Torture chambers...mass graves...
2013-02-12, 1:52 AM #9
Mods namechange to "Comrade Fat" Please
2013-02-12, 1:52 AM #10
Moooooooooooodddsssssss
2013-02-12, 2:40 AM #11
This thread does not deliver.
>>untie shoes
2013-02-12, 11:46 AM #12
tibby pls
DO NOT WANT.
2013-02-12, 12:58 PM #13
Kim Jong Ill could have taught the boy how to bandstand a little better without cratering the country, eh?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-02-14, 9:02 AM #14

There are plenty of pictures of the DPRK :confused:

Not to be a DPRK apologist, but I love how so many people in the US mocked the DPRK for a rocket launch failure:

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEFNjL86y9c
2013-02-14, 9:20 AM #15
Of course we have accidents. But as they even said in that video, we have over a 90% success rate, and our rockets are a hell of a lot more powerful than the ones North Korea is trying to launch.
2013-02-14, 9:34 AM #16
A North Korea rocket test launch is what we (in America) call the 4th of July.
>>untie shoes
2013-02-14, 9:57 AM #17
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:

Not to be a DPRK apologist, but I love how so many people in the US mocked the DPRK for a rocket launch failure:

Yeah, never mind the fact that we landed a man on the moon nearly 50 years ago.
2013-02-14, 10:52 AM #18
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:

dude... totally faked!
2013-02-14, 11:15 AM #19

The fact that you stopped is worthy of mocking.
2013-02-14, 11:57 AM #20
Not really, no point in going to the moon right now (other than as an eventual stepping stone elsewhere). Mars however...
2013-02-14, 12:13 PM #21
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/bandwidth/tumblr_lgy5bihUrE1qgmpu4o1_500_zps613737f8.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-02-14, 2:50 PM #22

The DPRK was certainly in no position to be able to do that at that point (although at that point in history, it was much more economically better off than the South)
2013-02-14, 3:21 PM #23
The DPRK was certainly in no position to be able to do that at that point (although at that point in history, it was much more economically better off than the South)

One could argue they're in no position to do it now either, but they're trying to doing it anyway :P
2013-02-15, 10:55 AM #24
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
One could argue they're in no position to do it now either, but they're trying to doing it anyway :P

I was talking more about their capacity then versus now. Clearly their capacity to achieve these things has increased.
2013-02-15, 11:13 AM #25
I was talking more about their capacity then versus now. Clearly their capacity to achieve these things has increased.

At the expense of their own population, maybe.
2013-02-15, 11:17 AM #26
NK can barely get a satellite in orbit, let alone keep it there.
They couldn't land a man on the moon given a decade to do it.

E: Sputnik was literally more successful.
2013-02-15, 11:26 AM #27
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
At the expense of their own population, maybe.

The same could be said of any nation developing its military though

Originally posted by Tibby:
E: Sputnik was literally more successful.

Of course, and the USSR at that time had plenty of ability to do these things. It's silly to compare them to the DPRK which is a small, blockaded country.
2013-02-15, 12:03 PM #28
the DPRK which is a small, blockaded country.

thats one rather kindly way of putting it.

lil bit of a difference there though... on a scale of 1 to genocide N.K. falls somewhere between negligent despotism and intentional starvation.
2013-02-15, 12:14 PM #29

Of course, and the USSR at that time had plenty of ability to do these things. It's silly to compare them to the DPRK which is a small, blockaded country.

Gee, it's almost as if any normal country doesn't attempt space flight until they have the means to do so!

North Korea is in no position to be attempting for anything in space. All they want is a long range missile so they can threaten themselves out of their blockade.
2013-02-15, 1:29 PM #30
a small, blockaded country.

Which allocates most of its arable land to heroin production and routinely abducts useful people from the streets of other countries because they have developed no means of developing essential skills domestically
2013-02-15, 1:38 PM #31
I like their brand of Linux.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-02-15, 2:53 PM #32

Going by MASH, it looks a lot like Northern California.
nope.
2013-02-15, 3:00 PM #33
I though MASH was shot in Hawaii?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-16, 9:54 AM #34
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Which allocates most of its arable land to heroin production and routinely abducts useful people from the streets of other countries because they have developed no means of developing essential skills domestically

I'm not sure what TSM_Bguitar is trying to say, other than that North Korea isn't as bad as everyone says it is! The nature of NK's military investment is the same as "any nation developing its military"!

But seeing as its TSM_Bguitar, it makes total sense.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2013-02-16, 4:02 PM #35
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I'm not sure what TSM_Bguitar is trying to say, other than that North Korea isn't as bad as everyone says it is! The nature of NK's military investment is the same as "any nation developing its military"!

But seeing as its TSM_Bguitar, it makes total sense.

My point is that a lot of the things that people like to point out about North Korea can be applied to various other places. The aggressiveness, the development of military at the expense of the people, etc. are all characteristics of capitalist states that are overlooked as long as there's "freedom"
2013-02-16, 4:43 PM #36
My point is that a lot of the things that people like to point out about North Korea can be applied to various other places. The aggressiveness, the development of military at the expense of the people, etc. are all characteristics of capitalist states that are overlooked as long as there's "freedom"
Aggressiveness, development of military at the expense of people, etc. are all things that come in degrees.

For example: The United States spends 3.2% of its gross domestic product on its military. North Korea spends 33.9%.
2013-02-16, 8:35 PM #37
How much does Iran spend on photoshopping pictures of fighter jets?
>>untie shoes
2013-02-16, 9:08 PM #38
Are... are you actually an NK apologist.
jesus ****
2013-02-17, 11:59 AM #39
Originally posted by Tibby:
Are... are you actually an NK apologist.
jesus ****

I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I'm not
2013-02-18, 7:27 PM #40
Considering how bad the DPRK is, yeah, you sort of are.

Now I'm not a Nazi apologist or anything, but it's not like they killed every Jew in Europe. Furthermore,

↑ Up to the top!