Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Academy: To buy, or not to buy...?
Jedi Academy: To buy, or not to buy...?
2013-02-22, 4:23 PM #1
Ha, so I'm pretty sure I know what most of you are going to say. Still, hear me out. I bought this for the XBox 10 years ago and never got very far in the story, but I enjoyed the bejeezus out of playing multiplayer versus computer opponents. If I got it again, that's primarily what I would play it for. Yeah, I'd probably get to the single player story at some point, but well, the matches versus computer opponents is what I want.

Why computer opponents? I hate multiplayer games with a passion. I want to be able to mod in things like dual wielded saberstaffs (just a visual aesthetic, no stat change), etc. I want to be able to play at my own pace. And so forth.

1. So are there mods, or are such mods create-able, for multiplayer battles vs. AI? I've heard of Movie Battles... is that playable with just AI opponents?

2. Also, how dated are the graphics? I know it's 2003, but is it jarringly low-resolution or anything? I loaded up KotOR 2 the other month and was surprised by how pixelated it looked.

I'm also looking at some other games possibly to get, but for now I can probably only get one of these (including Jedi Academy). Opinions welcome.

*Fallen Enchantress

*Sins of a Solar Empire

*Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

*The Witcher 2

*The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition

*The Force Unleashed 2
2013-02-22, 4:55 PM #2
why wouldn't you it's like 5 dollars
2013-02-22, 5:04 PM #3
Cuz it's five dollars wasted if I don't actually play it. :P I'm very very very picky about my games. I have two Steam games in total, FNV and Skyrim. I've bought three games in two and a half years: FNV, Skyrim, and Fable 3. :omg:
2013-02-22, 5:05 PM #4
you'll get 5 dollars out of it don't worry
2013-02-22, 5:11 PM #5
But answer mah question, please :P Can AI MP battles be modded? Does Movie Battles and the like work on AI MP matches? And how do the graphics stack up? :colbert:
2013-02-22, 5:13 PM #6
I don't know, probably, I don't know, it looks like ****.
2013-02-22, 5:35 PM #7
Originally posted by Tibby:
I don't know, probably, I don't know, it looks like ****.

That's 4 answers he asked 3 questions :huh:
2013-02-22, 5:43 PM #8
I always liked JA much more than JO.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-22, 5:58 PM #9
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
That's 4 answers he asked 3 questions :huh:

i dont know, probably
i don't know
it looks liek ****
2013-02-23, 7:06 AM #10
It's a good game, good multiplayer. Get it.

-Note: The bizarrely deep saber combat and RP elements won't be quite as exciting with computer opponents as they are with real opponents. The online crowd generally had a whole roleplaying fighting game feel to it.
2013-02-23, 8:16 AM #11
It was good, but the multiplayer was honestly terrible. Was nowhere near as good as JO (and ironically half of JO's fun was the bugs). Especially the saber combat, which would invariably turn into a bunch of idiots running around with dual sabers flailing with every attack. Attempting to attack them with a single saber was so horrendously unbalanced they shouldn't have even offered the option.
2013-02-23, 8:19 AM #12
It's worth every bit of $5 but not a penny more.
? :)
2013-02-23, 8:25 AM #13
I can't comment on the multiplayer, but despite the lack of proper SP editing support, there were still plenty of good SP levels for JA. Including the 6-level demo of the Dark Forces Mod, Larry McBruce's Nina series, Eike Legien's Imperial Outpost levels, Eve of Redemption 1.1, Dash Rendar: Resurgence - and even the unfinished version of Enter the Dark Lord by Massassi's Clapton (i.e. God) himself, AKPiggott.

All levels I mentioned should be available on JK3Files aside from Enter the Dark Lord which can be grabbed from here.

In other words, yes, JA is definitely worth $5 for the game's main campaign and the levels I just mentioned. IMO.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-02-23, 8:35 AM #14
Can't forget JK1 by Zell!

​oh wait
[http://i.imgur.com/TVO7a.png]
DO NOT WANT.
2013-02-23, 8:37 AM #15
>.<
2013-02-23, 11:39 AM #16
I say yes... you'll get at least $5 worth of entertainment out of it.
2013-02-23, 2:07 PM #17
JA felt like Ravensoft gave up. SP felt half-finished and the story was stupid. The premise of being a student was botched royally. The MP department was worse than JO. Moviebattles was the saving grace in multiplayer.

JA looks better than JO, but fighting the same retarded enemies gets monotonous. I swear, in JO, enemies atleast tried to evade your attacks somewhat. In JA, they just stand there.

But $5 can't go wrong.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-02-23, 2:44 PM #18
I personally never understood how people liked JO more than JA, though I think it comes down in part to people who liked DF more than JK to some extent. I liked playing the series because of the saber fighting and to be in the "Star Wars" world, which I think JA did WAY better in both counts than JO. I seem to recall enjoying what MP I played of JA more too, though I don't recall ever playing any MP for JO. Shortly before I stopped playing, I seem to recall thinking JA was building some pretty neat stuff, like fighting on capital ships and being able to jump in a TIE or X-Wing and have a (admittedly confined and small-scale) space battle, or jump on speeder bikes. I don't recall how the AI in MP was, though, so I can't offer help with that, and for modding purposes, I did get the impression that JO was preferred for whatever reason (I can't speak intelligently to that).

If SP matters at all, I'd still say JA. Fighting rancors and lots of lightsaber dueling and interesting locations, where JO just felt far more boring. Perhaps I'd feel different revisiting those games, and I just seem to recall JA offering a lot more variety and interesting things and, for me, lightsaber duels (with the 2 blades and staffs even, though I actually enjoyed using a single blade - it felt closer to the SBX mod for JK which I liked).

As for the other games you listed, the first Forced Unleashed was fairly fun (though very frustrating at certain points), and the beginning of the second seemed OK too (though never progressed past that). I think if you were deciding between those two, I'd probably go with the first (though if for whatever reason the second is considered easier, I might suggest that). Again, at least with the first game, it seems to have that over-the-top Star Wars universe feel that was enjoyable. To my knowledge, that game does not support modding.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-02-24, 11:36 AM #19
Get it, also get Amalur.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-02-24, 12:55 PM #20
Oh ****, I forgot, JA has some of the best single player missions ever. Like the swoop bike mission, or the mutant rancor mission.

-This concludes the venn diagram of "Best single player missions ever" and "Single Player missions in JA". There are, I'm sure, plenty that do not intersect, but they don't stand out in memory like those two.
2013-02-24, 12:57 PM #21
howwwwwwwwwwwwwww could you like that horrible swoop bike mission
2013-02-24, 12:58 PM #22
It also has a pretty horrible level. The game calls it 'Coruscant'. All the FAQs call it Coruscant. Everyone seems to call it that.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/proediting_zps18b306ba.jpg]

S*** AIN'T CORUSCANT

IT'S NOT EVEN YODA'S HOUSE
2013-02-24, 1:26 PM #23
Yeah, it seems clear that either a lot of time was lavished on a few of the levels and the rest were just **** out in a hurry, or that someone good worked on a few and the rest were created by chumps.
2013-02-24, 1:46 PM #24
Some of the levels had good ideas, but I don't think Raven had the time or resources to flesh anything out. JA had to be pushed out like less than a year, if I remember. Shame really, it could have been great with the right level of polish instead of the "screw it, I give up, move on" feeling.

Reminds me of KotOR 2. Same problem?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-02-24, 3:44 PM #25
Originally posted by saberopus:
howwwwwwwwwwwwwww could you like that horrible swoop bike mission

But that was the best one in the game!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-24, 3:54 PM #26
Wow, I have forgotten about all these levels. I'll have to play through it again.

All I can remember about JA is how incredibly annoying the voice actors for the (male) player character and the the other main apprentice you're with were.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2013-02-24, 4:22 PM #27
I played as a female in JA myself, and it seems to make more sense. I also figured Rosh was supposed to be annoying/creepy/etc. so that never really bothered me.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-02-24, 4:24 PM #28
Originally posted by Tracer:
But that was the best one in the game!

Nay. The tram ride one was the best.

Also the crashed ship one with the rock worms, purely because it did something different. I would have liked it to be longer, though.
DO NOT WANT.
2013-02-24, 4:45 PM #29
Since it was in the OP, Sins of a Solar Empire rocks, too. I play with the Star Wars: Requiem mod.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-02-24, 6:35 PM #30
JA = Just awful.
2013-02-25, 2:55 PM #31
I just started playing it through again inspired by this thread. The voice acting is crappy, the story is mundane but the gameplay is genuinely fun. There's nothing more enjoyable than whizzing through a level carelessly flinging every enemy off a cliff with force grip.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2013-02-25, 3:51 PM #32
Force push/pull was easily the best implemented gameplay mechanic I've ever seen in a star wars game. So much fun to use at level 3, it wasn't even fair.

also rolling stab = force nutshot :awesome:
DO NOT WANT.
2013-02-25, 4:11 PM #33
We'd play tennis in JO using Force Push. Launch a rocket and toss it back and forth until someone screws up :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-02-25, 4:16 PM #34
Yeah, I had the most fun with push/pull and slow motion force speed (as opposed to JK's CRAZYTIME SUPERFAST MODE that made you smash into walls).
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-02-25, 4:50 PM #35
Only good thing about jo was hydroball.
2013-02-25, 4:51 PM #36
I vote for The Witcher 2. It's an enchanting experience.
幻術
2013-02-28, 11:47 AM #37
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
Cuz it's five dollars wasted if I don't actually play it. :P I'm very very very picky about my games. I have two Steam games in total, FNV and Skyrim. I've bought three games in two and a half years: FNV, Skyrim, and Fable 3. :omg:

Well you already wasted your money on Fable 3, might as well pick up JA.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2013-02-28, 12:24 PM #38
Originally posted by zanardi:
Well you already wasted your money on Fable 3, might as well pick up JA.

LOL Believe it or not, Fable 3 is in my top 3 favorite video games of all time. :ninja:
2013-02-28, 12:27 PM #39
Also, I'd get Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II instead. And then play .......
2013-02-28, 12:27 PM #40
Get Witcher 2. At worst it will be in ur top 4 favorits.
幻術

↑ Up to the top!